Author Topic: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia  (Read 186866 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia
« Reply #420 on: February 09, 2008, 06:30:11 am »
I think we should limit ourselves to donating to one or two organizations, seeing that what we've got is ca USD 1,000 in the balance. Just IMO, of course.

Peachy, Kerry, if you're reading this, is there any well-reputed organization working with aboriginal kids you could suggest to us? I suppose we need something more concrete of a suggestion before it goes into the poll that Meryl is planning.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #421 on: February 09, 2008, 06:39:52 am »

I like this.  What if we give to an organization in Perth, and to an organization in Brooklyn?  And maybe to a gay youth organization in Wyoming?

i thought the brookylyn org was a good one - I posted some links earlier in the thread to a few youth theatres in Brooklyn I found.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

mvansand76

« Reply #422 on: February 09, 2008, 07:15:45 am »
I've just been watching the Saturday evening news here in Sydney and they reported that following the memorial service for Heath, he was cremated at Fremantle Cemetery, where only 10 members of the immediate family attended.

For those of you who are concerned that perhaps the BetterMost floral tribute went to the wrong address, Fremantle Cemetery is administered by the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board, who also administer Karrakatta Cemetery.

When I placed my order with Interflora, I explained to them that I did not know exactly when the funeral would take place. They took contact particulars for the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board from me, including their phone number, and explained to me that they would liaise with them to ascertain the exact date of the funeral to ensure that my flowers would be delivered to the right place at the right time. They specifically advised me that they would phone me if there was any difficulty with the delivery.

Interflora has an excellent reputation here in Australia. As I have not heard from them, I can only assume that my delivery went through successfully. I will, however, be phoning them some time in the next couple of days, to ensure that my tribute was delivered successfully.

I am sure that any floral tributes being delivered by Interflora, including those from BetterMost, arranged by Peachy, would receive the same treatment and be redirected accordingly.

I am guessing that though Heath was cremated at Fremantle, it is likely that his remains will still be interred at Karrakatta, with his grandparents. I have no way of knowing this for sure, at this point of time. Full particulars, I expect,  will be revealed in time.

{{{{{Kerry}}}}}

Thanks for the info...

I woke up in the middle of the night coughing and totally disoriented and thinking of Heath... I felt so sad...

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #423 on: February 09, 2008, 07:21:23 am »
Cremated -- Like Jack Twist -- except Heath's with loving family members.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Peachy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #424 on: February 09, 2008, 07:34:04 am »
Mikaela, regarding donations: I saw that Princess Margaret Hospital for Children in Perth put in a newspaper notice for Heath.  I expect he supported them either with a visit or a donation.  PMH is often a charity of choice in WA.

For Aboriginal children, I've found www.reconciliation.org.au, which is Australia-wide but might be able to direct funds to WA.  One of its directors visited my town recently so I could even try to contact him if necessary.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #425 on: February 09, 2008, 07:42:03 am »

For Aboriginal children, I've found www.reconciliation.org.au, which is Australia-wide but might be able to direct funds to WA.  One of its directors visited my town recently so I could even try to contact him if necessary.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/news/local/general/indigenous-apology-welcomed/1172761.html

31 January 2008 - 9:24AM   
Indigenous apology welcomed
Danielle Cronin

The Federal Government's decision to apologise to the Stolen Generations would be a significant step towards healing, according to Ngunnawal elder Matilda House, who will play a pivotal role in the historic event.
Indigenous Affairs Minister Jenny Macklin announced yesterday the Government would make the formal apology on February 13.

"A national apology to the Stolen Generations and their families is a first, necessary step to move forward from the past," Ms Macklin said.

"The apology will be made on behalf of the Australian Government and does not attribute guilt to the current generation of Australian people."

Ms House said the apology meant "everything".

"This is part of the reconciliation of Aboriginal and non-indigenous Australians," she said.

"It will be the beginning of a healing process for people on both sides and the acknowledgment of what had happened in the past."

Ms Macklin announced that Ms House would deliver the welcome to country in the Members Hall at Parliament House on February 12.

"A welcome to country is about paying respect to the traditional owners of a particular region [and] this welcome will carry national significance in symbolising a future of respect and partnership with indigenous people," she said.

The welcome to country would be part of the official opening ceremony for Parliament.

Ms House a mother of four and grandmother of 12 said it was a first. "An Aboriginal person has never, ever done this before so it is historical. It's something that will go down in history," she said.

Ms Macklin said she would continue to "consult widely" to come up with the wording for the formal apology which would be the "first item of business" for the new Parliament.

She hoped there would be bipartisan support for the apology, but the Coalition was making no commitments yesterday.

Opposition spokesman on indigenous affairs Tony Abbott doubted the Government could find words that would "satisfy the more zealous indigenous activists without deeply disconcerting many other people".

"And I think it would be fair to say we don't regard this as anything like the highest priority in indigenous affairs," Mr Abbott said.

Opposition Leader Brendan Nelson wanted to see the proposed wording for the formal apology.

"With something that is going to divide our country or potentially divide our country, I just sort of say to [Prime Minister Kevin] Rudd I think it would be sensible to hasten slowly on this," Dr Nelson said.

"And at the very least ... let all Australians just have a look at what's being proposed and, as I say, I haven't seen it yet."

Mr Rudd said the apology was "unfinished business" for the nation.

"It's building a bridge of respect which I think has been in some state of disrepair in recent decades," he said.

"But having crossed that bridge, the other part of it is all about practical business. Closing the gap in terms of life expectancy, infant mortality, skills attainments and health outcomes for indigenous people, is the core business."

Stolen Generations Alliance's Christine King was "overwhelmed" the Government had finally set the date to say sorry.

She said it was important the word "sorry" actually be used in the apology. "Sorry is the most important word because it has great meaning in our community, it means having empathy and compassion and understanding."

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 09, 2008, 07:43:42 am »
"Cremated" - such a very final word. It hit me hard. Nothing left now, except memories and images and films.

:'(

*sigh*

Thank you Kerry for explaining about the wreath of flowers and that it probably found its way to the right place despite the earlier semi-public info being inaccurate. Is there any way to be sure?

I suppose it's time to decide where our donation should go. Being so far from either NYC or Australia I have little specific input as to relevant charities, but as before I think the donation should go to something to do with kids who need support, either due to ill health or to develop their gift of creativity.

I was wondering whether there might be some way of donating to an organization working to improve the lives of Australian indigenous (aboriginal) kids. From the (far too) little I know some or many of them live in quite poor conditions.They are Heath's fellow countrymen...He was uneasy with the superficial glitz and glamour of Hollywood - well, they live their lives as far from that as it's possible to get....

When I placed my order with Interflora, I was given a reference number. I will be phoning them in the next couple of days, quoting that number, and seeking confirmation that my floral tribute was delivered to the appropriate address at the appropriate time. Suggest Peachy do likewise re the BetterMost tribute. Interflora would have also given Peachy a reference number when she placed the BetterMost order.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 09, 2008, 07:56:42 am »
Mikaela, regarding donations: I saw that Princess Margaret Hospital for Children in Perth put in a newspaper notice for Heath.  I expect he supported them either with a visit or a donation.  PMH is often a charity of choice in WA.

From what I've read in the press, the charities Heath supported were HIV and sick children.

For that reason I would veer towards donating to the Princess Margaret Hospital for Children in Perth, as Peachy mentioned.

We only have K$1 so IMHO I feel it would be best to donate to just one charity, rather than dividing it up among several.

Though it is certainly a noble sentiment to consider donating to aboriginal children, was this one of Heath's charities?

If it should be decided to donate to aboriginal children, I work closely with the aboriginal health unit within the health facility where I work. I am on a first-name basis with the director of the aboriginal health unit. I would be honoured to liaise with her, on BetterMost's behalf, to obtain the names of suitable aboriginal health children's services in Western Australia.

However, before doing so, I think we must seriously consider where Heath would want the funds to be donated, not where we think they should go, IMHO.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Peachy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #428 on: February 09, 2008, 08:08:11 am »
Oh - DAMMIT!  

Kerry, you'd better check - I've got an email that they couldn't process my order.  :(  :(  I wish they'd phoned me!  I hope yours went through at least.

I'm so, so sorry, Brokies.  :(  :(  I hate telling you this.  

So should I either put it through again for the cemetery at some point, or send the money back to you, Meryl?   If it would help, I can pay for a wreath myself.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #429 on: February 09, 2008, 08:20:47 am »
From what I've read in the press, the charities Heath supported were HIV and sick children.

[  ] Though it is certainly a noble sentiment to consider donating to aboriginal children, was this one of Heath's charities?

[  ]

However, before doing so, I think we must seriously consider where Heath would want the funds to be donated, not where we think they should go, IMHO.

I agree with you of course, I've got no axe to grind here. My reason for proposing this was given in my previous post.   :)

Unless Heath worked very actively for some specific charity though (and I don't think he did?), or his family says something specific now after the funeral about where donations might go in Heath's honour, I think suitable suggestions from Brokies should be allowed to be put forward.... I don't know if Heath supported aboriginal kid &health issues - but I can't imagine he'd be opposed or wouldn't approve to such a donation in his name - one that in a way was tied to his Aussie heritage and his interests both.

I would be honoured to liaise with her, on BetterMost's behalf, to obtain the names of suitable aboriginal health children's services in Western Australia.
This sounds like a very good ide, that would ensure a donation made would reach someone who could really use it. Thank you!  :) I think I'd like to propose that, then, as one of the possible donations we vote for.

(Peachy, thank you for the Reconciliation Australia LInk. I had a look at their site and their objective sounds good, but it doesn't seem they've got any concrete kid-related projects that seem fitting that might be donated to.)