Author Topic: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia  (Read 188479 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia
« Reply #470 on: February 10, 2008, 08:09:11 pm »
Thanks, John and Leslie!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #471 on: February 11, 2008, 02:45:46 am »
I'm just getting caught up with this thread. . .

Peachy, you done good - not to worry!

I also like the idea of flowers delivered each year on Heath's birthday.

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #472 on: February 11, 2008, 05:03:07 pm »
Peachy and Kerry, a favor to ask:  could one of you find out for sure if Heath has been laid to rest in Fremantle Cemetery?  Or is he at Karrakatta as an earlier article stated? 

If we can find this out, then maybe one of you could call and see if it's possible to have flowers delivered there, and if they save any cards that accompany the flowers to give to the family.  I would love to be able to make this happen so our minds will be at ease about it.

Thanks, dears.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #473 on: February 11, 2008, 08:57:12 pm »
At the last minute, I also decided to do some damage to my savings account (I make rash financial decisions late at night), and send flowers to Karrakatta as instructed. I got this email from Interflora afterwards:

Our florist has contacted us to advise that due to the requested privacy of the funeral the Karrakatta Cemetery will not disclose the time of the funeral service. We can advise our florist to deliver your order as early as possible on 9th February and advise the cemetery attendant to pass the flowers on at the relevant time

But despite this suggestion that the burial would indeed be at Karrakatta, all evidence points to him having been interred at Fremantle instead, and not one report mentions that Karrakatta was involved at all. So I emailed Interflora last night and got this response:

I have chased up your order with the executing florist. Your order was delivered to the requested cemetery quite early on the morning of the 9th. There they were placed at an allocated tribute area and a book signed on your behalf. To the best of our florists knowledge this was in keeping with the Ledger family's wishes.

This seems odd to me, as everything from the newspapers to Wikipedia to FindaGrave has changed Karrakatta to Fremantle. Has anyone else been in touch with Interflora? What story did you get? I'm about to contact Karrakatta and ask what actually became of all the flowers we sent, and if the family received the cards that accompanied the flowers. I have a funny feeling that they'll just tell us what we want to hear, though.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #474 on: February 11, 2008, 09:31:48 pm »
Louise posted on another thread...the crematorium is at Freemantle and that is where they had the very small service for 10 family members. But his cremains were interred at Karrakatta, with other members of his family.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 11, 2008, 09:48:35 pm »
At the last minute, I also decided to do some damage to my savings account (I make rash financial decisions late at night), and send flowers to Karrakatta as instructed. I got this email from Interflora afterwards:

Our florist has contacted us to advise that due to the requested privacy of the funeral the Karrakatta Cemetery will not disclose the time of the funeral service. We can advise our florist to deliver your order as early as possible on 9th February and advise the cemetery attendant to pass the flowers on at the relevant time

But despite this suggestion that the burial would indeed be at Karrakatta, all evidence points to him having been interred at Fremantle instead, and not one report mentions that Karrakatta was involved at all. So I emailed Interflora last night and got this response:

I have chased up your order with the executing florist. Your order was delivered to the requested cemetery quite early on the morning of the 9th. There they were placed at an allocated tribute area and a book signed on your behalf. To the best of our florists knowledge this was in keeping with the Ledger family's wishes.

This seems odd to me, as everything from the newspapers to Wikipedia to FindaGrave has changed Karrakatta to Fremantle. Has anyone else been in touch with Interflora? What story did you get? I'm about to contact Karrakatta and ask what actually became of all the flowers we sent, and if the family received the cards that accompanied the flowers. I have a funny feeling that they'll just tell us what we want to hear, though.

I have been trying to follow-up with Interflora to find out where my flowers eventually went.

I placed my order last Thursday over the phone, requesting that it be sent to Karrakatta.

There had been no mention of Fremantle until the day of the funeral itself.

I phoned Interflora on Sunday morning and they returned my call on Monday. I was advised that my flowers had been delivered to Karrakatta "with many other floral tributes."

Interflora could not provide me with any further details; i.e., what the ultimate destination was, of my flowers and card addressed to "Mr Kim Ledger & Family."

So, yesterday I phoned the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board in Perth on 61893835200 - www.mcb.wa.gov.au  They administer Karrakatta and Fremantle Cemeteries, as well as three other cemeteries in Perth.

I asked if I could be advised where all the flowers that had been delivered to Karrakatta had eventually ended up. That was yesterday. I'm still awaiting their response. I won't let it drop. I will continue to chase them until such time as they provide me with a satisfactory response. Once they've done so, I will post that information here.

Re the issue of where Heath's remains are interred, from what I understand, it doesn't necessarily matter where a cremation takes place in relation to the final resting place of the remains. It doesn't follow that just because someone is cremated at Freemantle, that that is where the interment will take place. Jack, for example ended-up in both Texas and Wyoming.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though the cremation took place at Fremantle, the ashes are usually collected by the next of kin and disposed of in accordance with the wishes of the deceased (or the next of kin, if the death is sudden/unexpected). For example, my wishes are that my ashes be scattered into the Pacific Ocean on a full-moon night, off the headland at the Sydney beach where I grew up. However, the cremation will take place nowhere near that beach.

Which perhaps raises another issue. It may have been Heath's wish to have his ashes scattered. If that's the case, it is highly likely that only the immediate family will know the location.

As soon as I hear from the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board, I will post the outcome here. 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #476 on: February 11, 2008, 11:03:11 pm »
It may well be that in their endeaviours to keep the funeral as private as Heath would have wanted it, the family turned the media's and the world's attention to Karrakatta so they could quietly slip off to Fremantle and not be disturbed. This would be totally understandable. And, according to what Verona says, they knew that tributes would pour into Karratatta and made special arrangements for receiving them, with the tribute area and the book so that people like us are not disappointed. If this is what happened, we can only praise and admire them, once more, for being highly courteous and thoughtful towards the outside world even in the depth of their sorrow.

I guess we will eventually know where Heath is resting. Perhaps they have concerns for him right now because of the haters, and want to protect him for as long as they feel necessary. Or perhaps they scattered him in the sea that he loved so much, hence the symbolical swim 'with him' and send off on the beach. Perhaps we will never know.

But where his body is does not matter so much, or does it? His spirit is there, everywhere, and with us and within us, this is what really counts, isn't it?

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #477 on: February 12, 2008, 12:49:11 am »
I have been trying to follow-up with Interflora to find out where my flowers eventually went.

I placed my order last Thursday over the phone, requesting that it be sent to Karrakatta.

There had been no mention of Fremantle until the day of the funeral itself.

I phoned Interflora on Sunday morning and they returned my call on Monday. I was advised that my flowers had been delivered to Karrakatta "with many other floral tributes."

Interflora could not provide me with any further details; i.e., what the ultimate destination was, of my flowers and card addressed to "Mr Kim Ledger & Family."

So, yesterday I phoned the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board in Perth on 61893835200 - www.mcb.wa.gov.au  They administer Karrakatta and Fremantle Cemeteries, as well as three other cemeteries in Perth.

I asked if I could be advised where all the flowers that had been delivered to Karrakatta had eventually ended up. That was yesterday. I'm still awaiting their response. I won't let it drop. I will continue to chase them until such time as they provide me with a satisfactory response. Once they've done so, I will post that information here.

Re the issue of where Heath's remains are interred, from what I understand, it doesn't necessarily matter where a cremation takes place in relation to the final resting place of the remains. It doesn't follow that just because someone is cremated at Freemantle, that that is where the interment will take place. Jack, for example ended-up in both Texas and Wyoming.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though the cremation took place at Fremantle, the ashes are usually collected by the next of kin and disposed of in accordance with the wishes of the deceased (or the next of kin, if the death is sudden/unexpected). For example, my wishes are that my ashes be scattered into the Pacific Ocean on a full-moon night, off the headland at the Sydney beach where I grew up. However, the cremation will take place nowhere near that beach.

Which perhaps raises another issue. It may have been Heath's wish to have his ashes scattered. If that's the case, it is highly likely that only the immediate family will know the location.

As soon as I hear from the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board, I will post the outcome here. 

The reports I read said that his cremains were interred at Fremantle, alongside his grandparents in the family plot. But Karrakatta obviously knew their name was at the center of things, and that they'd be receiving tributes. I think most likely our names were inscribed in a guestbook, cards discarded and a lot of lonely graves at Karrakatta were unexpectedly beautified on Saturday... which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 12, 2008, 01:44:33 am »
The reports I read said that his cremains were interred at Fremantle, alongside his grandparents in the family plot. But Karrakatta obviously knew their name was at the center of things, and that they'd be receiving tributes. I think most likely our names were inscribed in a guestbook, cards discarded and a lot of lonely graves at Karrakatta were unexpectedly beautified on Saturday... which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Such flowers are usually distributed to local hospitals and nursing homes, from what I understand, which would give lots of sad, lonely, elderly folks much happiness. I'm sure our Heath would endorse that with a hearty smile and a wink.  ;)   :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Peachy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #479 on: February 12, 2008, 03:56:08 am »
My understanding is that Heath's grandparents were buried at Karrakatta - the West ran a pic of the graves.  But I don't know where Heath's ashes are/have been placed.  I would like to find out too just so we can place the flowers somewhere.  I do like the idea of the birthday flowers.  If the ashes were scattered at Cottesloe, we could always have a wreath floated on the sea!

PS {{{{Brokies!}}}}