Author Topic: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus  (Read 264300 times)

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2009, 03:39:39 pm »
This evening The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus premieres in London.

This BBC video includes footage of the movie I had never seen before.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/people_and_places/arts_and_culture/newsid_8293000/8293697.stm
BbM, I swear

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2009, 04:13:42 pm »
More about The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus from Sky News:

http://www.lbc.co.uk/heath-ledger-back-two-years-after-his-death-14185
BbM, I swear

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2009, 05:15:12 pm »
Yup, its out here soon there has been adverts on the telly for it.

It has a quote from a review that says

"Jonny Depp is Brilliant" and I was like   >:(  :o what about Heath!?!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2009, 06:51:47 pm »
it was nice to log onto the yahoo webpage and see Heath on the front page. nice and sad

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-imaginarium.html

Not much new info in the article though

Heath Ledger's Friends Complete His Last Movie
by Jonathan Crow ยท October 7, 2009
 Heath Ledger was on a break from shooting the fantasy film "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" when he tragically died in January of 2008. It was the latest and saddest unexpected turn of events for the movie's director, Terry Gilliam, who has a legendary track record of seemingly cursed film productions. In 1984, Universal Pictures refused to release the his masterpiece "Brazil" until critics dubbed it the best movie of the year. His next movie "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" was crippled by studio politics and a shiftless producer. More recently, the production of "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" suffered one disaster after another until it was shut down after only a week of filming.

So when the star of his latest effort died after only about a third of the film was completed, "Imaginarium" looked like yet another casualty to Gilliam's freakishly bad luck. Yet he pulled it off, earning raves at this year's Cannes International Film Festival.

So how did he do it? If Gilliam made quiet domestic dramas, the movie would have been completely derailed. But as it happens, Gilliam makes films that are so hallucinatory and surreal that he can even change the actor playing the lead character and still make the story work. In this case, he enlisted Ledger's friends Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell to step into his role. The three A-listers not only jumped at the chance to make sure Ledger's final work made it to the screen, but they also donated their salaries to Ledger's young daughter, Matilda.

The movie tells the story of the titular Dr. Parnassus (Christopher Plummer), a thousand-year-old traveling showman who invites audience members to venture into an alternate reality through his magical mirror. He gained his unusual abilities and eternal life through a bet with the Devil (Tom Waits), and when the evil one tries to collect, a mysterious figure named Tony (Ledger and friends) comes to save the day.

The one bit of luck that Gilliam did have during the making of "Imaginarium" was that he shot all of the "real world" scenes before Ledger died. So when the character of Tony steps through the magic mirror into a fantasy world he is transformed, allowing Depp, Law and Farrell to take over the role.

It's a bold and risky way to salvage the project. The question with "Imaginarium" becomes, will these shifts between Ledger and the other actors will feel natural or they will feel forced? According to Gilliam, the transition happens so smoothly that a sound mixer who worked on the movie assumed it was always intended to be that way.

Gilliam has clearly taken out all the stops, making "Imaginarium" as visually wondrous and bizarre as anything he's put on the screen since "Baron Munchausen." To get a look at the movie's startling images, and to see how Heath Ledger's pals look in his role, watch the exclusive trailer below. "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" opens on Christmas Day.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #164 on: October 09, 2009, 05:33:22 pm »
Finally! A release date for Sweden - December 4.
Sophia (Sophylicious) and me are planing on seeing it in Stockholm. If anyone else is in town, feel free to join us!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #165 on: October 20, 2009, 09:40:28 pm »

Of all the articles I have seen on IDP, this is the most informative.  Also it was great to hear Gilliams
point of view on life, and its obstacles.  I hope this film gets the play it deserves.
     Thanks for posting.

Beautiful mind

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2009, 11:41:52 am »
*sigh* I was in London just days before the premiere there, and saw the ads. If RL had permitted, I'd have stayed on to go see the 16th October premiere. But no such luck!
The release date for Norway is 4th December too - but I bet that's only in Oslo.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2009, 01:29:31 pm »
You Scandinavians will see it sooner than I will. Release date for Germany is Jan 7th 2010.
On the 5th is my birthday.

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2009, 03:09:58 am »
In Italy it will be in cinemas this weekend, although it might not get to my town until next.  As long as my
not-so-good health allows me to I intend to see it. Never mind that it will have been dubbed, this time I will make an exception.
BbM, I swear

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2009, 04:04:37 pm »
You Scandinavians will see it sooner than I will. Release date for Germany is Jan 7th 2010.
On the 5th is my birthday.

so close to your birthday it must mean something. perhaps that your birthday present from your husband will be that he takes care of your kids and buy you a ticket to Stockholm so you can have a Brokieweekend with Heath and us.  :D :D :D :D