Author Topic: SAG Awards on TNT and TBS  (Read 37858 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: SAG Awards on TNT and TBS
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2008, 11:53:01 am »
Leslie, Fabienne, everyone - thanks for the links, and for the thoughtful sincere comments  and reflections you're posting.

I normally tend to think these award ceremonies are quite empty and vapid and all about shallow commercial film- and self-promotion... but I am very, very moved both by DD-L and that "In memorian" clip, and by all your comments to those, - so I'm glad these SAGs took place just now.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: SAG Awards on TNT and TBS right now
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2008, 11:57:50 am »

I think whenever I see him in a film I will feel a twinge of pain and sadness.

So true, Kerry. Life goes on, as cliché as the saying is, it's true. We'll continue with our normal course of live eventually, the pain will get less (when?) and will one day be mostly a memory.
But only 'mostly'. I think most or even all of us will feel this twinge every now and then. Especially when we see a film with Heath, or maybe when one day Jake will become a father, or Ang Lee might win another Oscar in a few years, or ....

mvansand76

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2008, 12:08:42 pm »
That in memoriam makes me so angry, it was fucking pathetic.

I have always loved Daniel Day Lewis, but love him even more for making up for it in his own unique way with this genuine speech.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2008, 02:45:35 pm »
OMG, Daniel Day Lewis is my hero!  :-*  :-*  :-*

He's my new one, too.  How positively lovely of him.

Now I'm actually hoping the Oscars will be televised, so he can win and do it again.
No more beans!

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »
Now I'm actually hoping the Oscars will be televised, so he can win and do it again.

I hope the Oscar votes are in, or I wouldn't put it past various Academy morons to vote for someone else just so he won't win and therefore can't do it again.

>:(

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2008, 03:00:43 pm »
I can only hope Heath's family and friends can take as much comfort from Daniel Day Lewis's tribute as I have. It is so special that this tribute was delivered by another actor who's not a moviestar, like Heath himself. And to hear him do that at such an occasion where by the looks on the people's faces walking down the red carpet, nothing much had happened, made it all the more human and touching.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2008, 03:03:33 pm »
I hope the Oscar votes are in, or I wouldn't put it past various Academy morons to vote for someone else just so he won't win and therefore can't do it again.

>:(

If they do that, we'll have yet ANOTHER reason to boycott the Oscars!

From everything I read, DD-L seems to have "a lock" on the Best Actor Oscar. I suspect Julie Christie will win for Best Actress (same as the SAG). However, I hope Cate Blancett gets Best Supporting Actress for I'm Not There. I thought she was excellent.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2008, 03:05:47 pm »
Daniel Day Lewis also broke down when he was on OPRAH last week. I had posted this on IMDB.com as I had seen only a three second clip.
Someone was nice enough to provide a link showing the full segment where Lewis expresses his sorrow about the death of Heath Ledger on OPRAH.
DDLewis is such a gentleman. Yes, it was nice at the SAG awards that Lewis mentioned "Ennis in the trailer at the end of the film," as powerful stuff so to speak.  Both actors are known for giving intense performances

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01/25/daniel-daylewis-breaks-d_n_83238.html

The OSCARS?  That still comes on?? ;)

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2008, 03:21:32 pm »
If they do that, we'll have yet ANOTHER reason to boycott the Oscars!

From everything I read, DD-L seems to have "a lock" on the Best Actor Oscar. I suspect Julie Christie will win for Best Actress (same as the SAG). However, I hope Cate Blancett gets Best Supporting Actress for I'm Not There. I thought she was excellent.

I agree about Blanchett - I really hope she wins too. I was fascinated by her performance.

As for having a lock on an Oscar, well... didn't Brokeback have that until very late in the process, 2 years ago? I just don't trust those voters - too many of them keep mum about it but vote purely based on money, IOUs or prejudices, it would certainly seem.

The OSCARS?  That still comes on??  ;)

So rumour has it.  ;)

I've been thinking, - not that there is much hope about this, but - I've been thinking: Maybe more of the voters will start voting for the performance that truly deserves the Oscar in the year in question, instead of voting for those who have "earned" it over time and are next on the list of those that really should get one. What happened to Heath should remind them that there's no assurance people will hang around here long enough to "earn" their Oscar making films as decades come and go.

Not giving him an Oscar for Ennis lost them the chance forever to award one of the finest performances there ever was.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2008, 03:23:31 pm »
I was particularly moved that DDL mentioned Ennis in the trailer at the end - his eyes when he backs away from that closet never fail to make me weep, if I haven't already started by that point.
No more beans!