Author Topic: SAG Awards on TNT and TBS  (Read 37918 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: SAG Awards on TNT and TBS right now
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2008, 03:37:54 pm »
As for having a lock on an Oscar, well... didn't Brokeback have that until very late in the process, 2 years ago?

It was the SAG award to Crash (for ensemble cast) that gave the voters an alternative to BBM.

I hope that DD-L's statement endears him to the rest of the movie industry. They were so clearly the words of someone who loves movies, who loves his craft and admires work by others.

And I want to believe that they reflect the feelings of Heath's other peers, as well. (There's some open space between what I know and what I want to believe... and it helps me to believe that DD-L speaks for many people.)

(BTW, I hadn't put DD-L and My Beautiful Laundrette together. That's a movie that I haven't watched in a long, long time.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: SAG Awards on TNT and TBS
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2008, 04:58:10 pm »
Hey, Mel, you're less cynical than me!  :o How did it come to this?!?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2008, 05:15:31 pm »
I haven't cried as yet - but DDL just made me.

Lovely.

He rocks

(as does Ryan Gosling with the black ribbon)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2008, 10:07:49 pm »
From E! Online:

Backstage Report: The Battle Over Heath
3:45 p.m. PT:  The SAGs honor Heath Ledger tonight. I trust and hope it'll be as heartfelt as Jason Sedillo's tribute.

I met Jason outside the Shrine, where I was interviewing a protester who was holding the cruelest sign I had ever seen. It read "Heath in Hell."

Sedillo stood beside the young woman, Jael Phelps, of the notoriously antigay Westboro Baptist Church, of Topeka, Kansas, with his own sign. It read "I'm sorry for them/R.I.P. Heath."

Sedillo was sorry. I was inspired.

On Friday night, Sedillo told me, he read that Westboro Baptist was planning to picket the SAGs, Heath and his work in Brokeback Mountain.

Right then and there in Fort Worth, Texas, where Sedillo serves as a church youth minister, the 30-year-old decided to plunk down $800, fly to Los Angeles and show up at the SAGs himself. With his own sign. To say he's sorry for something he wouldn't dream of saying himself.

To be honest, Sedillo's sign wasn't much of a sign—it was a little dry-erase board, and his message was scribbled in green ink. The passengers in the passing limos probably couldn't even see it.

"Here's a guy," Sedillo said of Ledger, "who didn't do anything but perform in movies."

But that was enough. As was Sedillo's sign.

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2008, 10:49:48 pm »

We should send our thanks to Daniel Day Lewis, Ryan Gosling, Cate Blanchett and whoever else helped in keeping Heath's memory alive.
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2008, 10:55:09 pm »
We should send our thanks to Daniel Day Lewis, Ryan Gosling, Cate Blanchett and whoever else helped in keeping Heath's memory alive.

Yes, I've been thinking the same thing. (Any sleuths have their addresses for sending them fan mail?)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2008, 12:49:28 am »

Yes, for their show of support.  Now, I've heard about Daniel Day, but what did Cate and Ryan say?  Cate is one of my favorite actresses.  She gave a stunning performance in "Elizabeth"  (1998)

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2008, 01:07:29 am »
During the awards show religious protesters gathered across the street from the Shrine Auditorium, toting signs that read, "Heath's in Hell," a reference to his "Brokeback Mountain" role in which he portrayed a gay cowboy.

I would like get everyone of these people together in one room and.. love the hate right out of them...
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2008, 01:11:54 am »
I would like get everyone of these people together in one room and.. love the hate right out of them...

Nice thought, but they rather seem to love their hate.  :-\
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2008, 01:47:59 am »

(BTW, I hadn't put DD-L and My Beautiful Laundrette together. That's a movie that I haven't watched in a long, long time.)

I just have to say, though, re DD-L: I certainly did.

Both My Beautiful Laundrette and A Room with a View opened weeks (if not days) apart in early 1986 in New York (View was in the Paris Theater across from the Plaza). Twenty-two years later, I cannot remember which one of the two films I saw first, but I do remember the 'O' I made with my mouth when, half-way through the second film, I suddenly figured out that the same actor playing 'Johnny' in Laundrette was also playing 'Cecil Vyse' in View.

O. M. Gawd, I thought, what an actor--

What's weirder (and sadder) is--those films were made in 1985, when Daniel Day-Lewis was--yes--28 years old.

Heath was 28.

(Both DDL and Heath were both born in April, too.)

I'm maundering. But you know what I mean, I think.

Poor Heath. Poor us. Poor everybody.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 01:49:04 am by Meryl »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"