Author Topic: Express what you're feeling, at any length  (Read 11818 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Express what you're feeling, at any length
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 03:45:00 am »

He said that his

“parents had the attitude of letting their kids grow up and discover things for themselves and be happy with themselves. They really provided me with a comfortable environment for just being who you were, regardless, and not trying or wanting to be anything else. I guess that's how they pushed me out into the world, and from there I just did that, and found my own lifestyle and way of living.”

Ironically, the character Heath Ledger is most well known for, Brokeback Mountain’s Ennis del Mar was his exact opposite. 

That's such a powerful juxtaposition, Pete. 

I think you are an inspiration to live life to the fullest, Bud.

:-*

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 12:35:59 am »
The words from the screenplay, described my feelings best .I felt that someone was pulling my guts out,hand over hand,a yard at  time.I then felt alternately silly and distraught.Who was I to grieve so,over someone I personally had never known.Plenty of celebrities have died in my lifetime,Elvis,lenon,Hutchence,Paula yates and of course princess Diana.Yet although sad at the loss of life taken too soon,that was it really it.

I became like a woman possesed,reading and watching everything I could,including some real trash. I became the sort of person I used to, if not despise at least ridicule.
BBM so affected me,I came to the conclusion that it had become personal.

I hated myself for scouring the internet for pictures,when I knew he so despised that side of his life,his lack of privacy.I bored people to teras wanting to talk about it all the time.I even wondered if my sleeping tablets would have worked better than his.Given him some much needed rest and maybe saved him.
I cannot begin to describe my bizarre thought patterns.But mostlly I sobbed,almot continually.I did not even know if it was Heath or Ennis I was grieving for.
I cried for his daughter who he seemed to so adore ,and who would never know her father.
I then became angry as rumours became scattered around like confetti.I became angry at myself for wanting to believe only the good bits not the bad.
I didn't want him to have been so disturbed that it was suicide,yet eaqually I did not want it to be a tragic,perhaps preventable accident.In fact I just did not want it to be true.
Finally I wanted somebody to blame,anyone really.
If I am honest I was almost ashamed and embarased by my reacions.I had scoffed at the mass hysteria when Diana died,and here was I reacting in the self same fashion.
The only conclusion I can come to is that via BBM his acting provoked so many emotions I was grieving not just for him and what might have been,but also for myself.I longed to have had he chance to say.have you any idea how many souls you have reached.But then I guess that would have just embarassed him,he always came across as so self effacing.

In the end I believe that's  what true artists do,touch something so deep in your core,that their death touches that same core,it becomes personal.
O.K so that.s enough of my rambling.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 05:35:47 am »
Everyday I discover a new spot in my life that he used to fill. I turned on the TV and started channel surfing Wednesday night. I used to get so much pleasure from this because I was always looking for him-10 Things I Hate About You on Encore at 10 pm, The Brothers Grimm on Starz tomorrow, Casanova...Brokeback Mountain. so much of my everyday joy consisted of celebrating him. The hole in my life is huge-I miss him every second of every day.

Heathen

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 03:12:24 pm »
Exactly susie. I felt really silly for being so miserable about it. I mean we are talking about someone I didn,t know personally and more than likely never would. Likewsie he had never heard of me, and again never would. So WHY did this affect me so much? Why in the first week especially, did I wander around in a daze and feel so down in the dumps and sad. It is crazy isn,t it? Sometimes, when I watch 10 Things I hate about you, I almost forget for a while that he,s gone...................then the film ends and I remember. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 03:41:54 pm »
Thank you Susie. I must admit I am VERY partial to Hugh Jackman, very partial indeed. My daughter thinks I,m gross. :laugh: Well I do go on about him just a bit too much lol. But I can,t help it, he,s so flamin gorgeous. *sigh*.  :P :P

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 05:31:45 pm »
I could watch the movie again, but I don't think I could listen to the soundtrack for a while, especially "He was a friend of mine."

I haven't been on this board in a while so I don't know all the details, but it seems to me that H. was suffering from horrific insomnia, not to mention depression from the split from Michelle and not being able to see his daughter as much.    I just assumed he got desperate for some sleep and went overboard, quite accidentally, on meds.     

"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 11:59:26 pm »
Sounds perfectly plausible to me, shortfiction.

As always, I go with the Achem's Razor principle on this, which basically says that the simplest explanation is usually the real one.

Do we have any real evidence that Heath was suicidal?  No.  Do we have real evidence that he suffered from severe insomnia and was quite possibly depressed?  Yes.

I can count on more than one hand the friends I have who regularly over-medicate themselves against these very problems.  And there, by the grace of... chance, go they.

No more beans!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 01:41:08 am »
I was distressed to hear that Heath's family heard about his passing over the radio.  How awful that must have been for them!  I mean, under the circumstances, receiving the news over the telephone would have been a horrible shock as well  -- no doubt about that -- but at least it would have been more personal than hearing it out of the blue on the radio.

I meant to post something about this weeks ago, but I forgot about it until now.

Are you familiar with the ICE (in case of emergency) campaign?

ICE could save your life

It couldn’t be easier. Enter the number of your emergency contact into your cell phone’s address book. Label it as ICE and store it. Paramedics or doctors can then access that number if you’re in an accident.

Perhaps if Heath had had an ICE number stored on his cell phone, his agent, one of his parents, his sister, or a close friend could have been notified by the paramedics and his family would have been spared the agony of hearing the news of his death over the radio.

I think ICE is a wonderful idea.

Note:

On second thought, this may be the wrong place for this post.  If the mods of the Heath forum thinks it belongs elsewhere, please move it.