Author Topic: BBM DVD WATCHING Habits and Reactions: THINKIN' OUT LOUD... POWERFUL FILM SCENES  (Read 15081 times)

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
I have not watched my DVD in a while now...but I look at, and caress the DVD Cover and Case every day.  BTW, I drove to a Mexican border town today.  I thought of Jack Twist all the way.  It occurs to me that Jack was externally feminine,  and internally masculine.  Ennis was externally masculine, and internally feminine.  Jack had a boy, and Ennis had a girl...just a train of thought.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
Well, I have to confess, I don't even own an "official" copy yet - the release date for BBM in Aust was announced on Friday - 20th July... what's up with THAT?!?!?!?

But when I'm watching my bootleg, I get so wrapped up in the first 40 minutes or so. Its unthinkable to skip any chapters until they come down off the mountain, I can't do it.  I love watching them fall in love over and over again.  I get slightly itchy fingers after the wedding scene, but if I'm tempted to skip forward, its only to the reunion kiss.  I am in denial about the tragedy of the story, I love reminding myself about all the happy times the boys experienced together.

Also in Sense and Sensibility, Alan Rickman's face when Marianne says from her sickbed, "Colonel Brandon?  Thank you."

YES!  I love this too, Barb - watched it just the other night.

There are TONNES of favourite acting moments from my DVD collection. But the one that sprang to mind as I'm typing this was Guy Pearce in LA Confidential, when the Police Captain says "Rollo Tomasi?" Pearce doesn't say a word but with the slightest movement in his jaw and eyes, you understand that he knows the Captain murdered his co-worker and friend. One of my favourite films of all time.

rt, another cracker of a thread mate..  ;D
Chut up!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
I have watched my dvd 3 times in just under a month (I'm keeping the same rhythm as when it was in the theatre: once a week).
I cannot skip scenes. I thought I would do that, but I just can't . I need to see it all.
The only thing that really annoys me is that the first tent scene looks blurred to me. I went to the theatre to see it again there last night (YES, it was showing for 2 days), and that scene is NOT blurred there. So as I have the UK dvd, I shall buy the French release on July 17th and hope that scenen looks better (it will be the collector's dvd).
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
I've only watched my DVD once because I keep seeing it in theatres here!  To be expected in San Francisco I guess.  Although I loved watching the 2nd tent scene at 1/4 speed on DVD.  ;D

Now that I think about it, I like watching and pausing on still frames of the two of them being affectionate.  I am so going to meet my future partner this year.  Unless I don't I guess.  :) :-\

Profoundly moving moments in film acting history: Glenn Close's reaction to the news that Valmont was killed in a duel in Dangerous Liasons.

Gloria Swanson descending the staircase and delivering the final monologue in Sunset Boulevard (that poor crazy woman).

Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington: "I guess this is just another lost cause, Mr. Paine."

Fernanda Montenegro in the final scenes of Central Station - one of the great performances by any actress ever.

I remember loving Kate Winslet's Ophelia in Hamlet as she's sitting against a wall singing.  So tragic.

Call me crazy but my heart breaks for Clint Eastwood when he reaches for the whiskey bottle after hearing of Ned's murder and is pushed back over the edge in Unforgiven.

And you want to talk about emotionally effective subtlety?  How about Anthony Hopkins in every frame of The Remains of the Day?

And finally, the singlemost thrilling, joy producing movie moment I can recall: Dash's head thrown back laugh when he discovers he can run on water in The Incredibles.  I'm serious!  That movie shares the same being-true-to-yourself theme that Brokeback has, only it ends well, and that moment is the best example of the turnaround one experiences when one comes into themselves and starts living life to the fullest.   O0

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
And finally, the singlemost thrilling, joy producing movie moment I can recall: Dash's head thrown back laugh when he discovers he can run on water in The Incredibles.  I'm serious!  That movie shares the same being-true-to-yourself theme that Brokeback has, only it ends well, and that moment is the best example of the turnaround one experiences when one comes into themselves and starts living life to the fullest.   O0

Kirk, that is the cutest thing I reckon I've ever seen posted on this board!!!  :D

You know, I love it when people can actually draw emotion and connect with animated pictures. I know the scene you're talking about in the Incredibles and I love it.  I also love Violet's shy little smile at the end when she chucks out the forcefield and saves her family from the falling plane and her mum goes "That's my girl".. her little smile then just kills me.  Oh, and the look on Frozone's face as his wife starts her "i am more important than saving the world" rant.. the way the jaw sags and his eyelids droop... lol   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Fernanda Montenegro in the final scenes of Central Station - one of the great performances by any actress ever.

I remember loving Kate Winslet's Ophelia in Hamlet as she's sitting against a wall singing.  So tragic.

Call me crazy but my heart breaks for Clint Eastwood when he reaches for the whiskey bottle after hearing of Ned's murder and is pushed back over the edge in Unforgiven.

And you want to talk about emotionally effective subtlety?  How about Anthony Hopkins in every frame of The Remains of the Day?

I agree with all of this!  I love The Incredibles!  And for the very reason you cited - that it's about being true to yourself.  I laugh out loud with pure joy every time I see Dash realize he can run on water.  Buddy was bound to fail because he was always trying to be something he was not.  I loved Edna - "What are you talking about?!  YOU ARE ELASTIGIRL!!!"  She was like the Jack of the piece - the catalyst of everyone else's coming to terms with what they are.

My favorite bit was Edna's montage of all the superheroes who were killed by their capes - that last one "sucked into a vortex" makes me about spit I laugh so hard every time.

This movie is one of the reasons I'm so grateful to have a toddler right now - I may never have seen it if not for him.

On a completely different note, another one for me is Ralph Fiennes in Quiz Show, when he's eating chocolate cake in his parents' kitchen at the height of his anguish over faking out everyone on Twenty-One and shaming his family's name and telling him that it makes him remember coming home from school, getting a piece of chocolate cake and a big glass of cold milk from the fridge, and how he can't imagine ever being so happy again.  And his father says, "Not until you have a son."  The look on his face right there - all the blood draining out of it.  The first time we watched it at home, Ed said "Fuck me in the heart."  He doesn't say much.  But he gets his point across.  ;)
No more beans!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
I agree with all of this!  I love The Incredibles!  And for the very reason you cited - that it's about being true to yourself.  I laugh out loud with pure joy every time I see Dash realize he can run on water.  Buddy was bound to fail because he was always trying to be something he was not.  I loved Edna - "What are you talking about?!  YOU ARE ELASTIGIRL!!!"  She was like the Jack of the piece - the catalyst of everyone else's coming to terms with what they are.

My favorite bit was Edna's montage of all the superheroes who were killed by their capes - that last one "sucked into a vortex" makes me about spit I laugh so hard every time.

Yes, Edna is one of the funniest characters in that film.. the line that will stay with me forever "this project has comPLEETely confiscated my LIFE, dahhling"..  :laugh: :laugh:

And:

"Go! Fight! WIN! And call me when you're done, dahhling, I miss our chats."
Chut up!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Oh, are we naming ANY powerful moments? Duh, I guess that's what the thread's title says. For some reason, I thought they had to be sad.

In that case, here's one. In "Casualties of War," Sean Penn's best buddy has just been gruesomely blown up on the battlefield as Sean watched. Now he's back at the camp, shaving in closeup, with the other soldiers talking behind him (the shot is set up like the bathing/peeling potatoes one in BBM, for different purposes). The other guys are talking about the dead buddy; I can't remember what they say. But overhearing it causes Sean, who is their sergeant, to change. As he listens, his face subtly but perceptively hardens before our eyes. We see him transform from a tough but basically honorable man into someone capable of committing a horrifying atrocity.

It was this scene that made Sean Penn probably my favorite actor ... until now.

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel

On a completely different note, another one for me is Ralph Fiennes in Quiz Show, when he's eating chocolate cake in his parents' kitchen at the height of his anguish over faking out everyone on Twenty-One and shaming his family's name and telling him that it makes him remember coming home from school, getting a piece of chocolate cake and a big glass of cold milk from the fridge, and how he can't imagine ever being so happy again.  And his father says, "Not until you have a son."  The look on his face right there - all the blood draining out of it.  The first time we watched it at home, Ed said "Fuck me in the heart."  He doesn't say much.  But he gets his point across.  ;)

Just went and watched that scene again.  Yep, that's a keeper.  Ed sounds like a keeper too.

rtprod

I love all of the scenes you great movie buffs have mentioned, particularly Emma Thompson's in Sense and Sensibility.

NOW HERE'S A KEEPER:

Annette Bening's extended close-up in Bugsy after learning that he's been killed.  She goes through EVERY emotion in the book in a shot that stays on her face, wordless, for maybe 50 seconds or so.  It's one of the great actor's moments of all time, and a director who trusted his actor to hold the camera and us.  Then later trusted her to hold everything.