Author Topic: Annie Proulx work is a MASTERPIECE:Brokeback Mountain  (Read 10274 times)

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
Re: Annie Proulx work is a MASTERPIECE:Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 02:37:15 pm »
--- With reference to personal attacks and moderation ---

A cultural attack (including the American-ese versus the English-ese debate) is not an opinion, it is racism,

Well, Chris... I certainly understand the feeling behind what you're saying, and we've shared a lot in private letters on this subject, for sure, but I'm not sure about the use of "racism" with regard to what went on here, I mean... American English vs. British English is a cultural issue to some people, but personally I don't think it can be described as racist or even as one culture versus the other.   

The English language has developed in unique ways in the world in several different countries.  There isn't one superior English that stands above the others.  There are different forms of English, that's all.  They all hold their own distinct and different places.  There's nothing to argue about when it comes to that, but I don't think the word "racism" really applies to what happened here.  As I recall, no one attacked anyone's race and, as you know, I was in the thick of it.

Anyway, I too am glad "the interaction" was monitored, policed and taken care of as neatly as it was.  Thanks for being there when we needed you.  I thanked Phillip as well.  I've been away owing to what happened... a bit gun shy, to be serious, but I'm ok now.

Rayn
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 02:41:59 pm by Rayn »

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 12:07:01 pm »
I am in the process of reading EVERYTHING Proulx has written, just finished Wyoming Stories and am now on Post Cards. I have read The Shipping News years ago, but I'll tell you, Brokeback Mountain is the most powerful thing of hers I have read. I've read it took her a long time to write it too, and I thinks it really effected her. 
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006, 12:45:32 pm »
pinku, you love and passion for the story is apparent to all of us, and we all have that in common. I think the objection to the word "melodrama" come from the fact that to most English speakers, the word has a connotation of being exaggerated drama or even false drama. Brokeback Mountain is real. It doesn't exaggerate and it's definitely not false drama.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 12:58:45 pm by starboardlight »
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 12:56:28 pm »
(to) most English speakers, the word has a connotation of being exaggerated drama or even false drama. Brokeback Mountain is real. It doesn't exaggerate and it's definitely not false drama.

Yes, starboardlight, exactly!

Peace,
Rayn