Author Topic: Asteroid Collision with Earth  (Read 10075 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Asteroid Collision with Earth
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 09:15:49 pm »
Yep, just a matter of time.  Hopefully we'll develop the technology to deal with them, but right now, we need about a 10-15 year head start, but with little funding going toward the NASA project to look for NEOs (near earth objects), chances are fairly good we're going to get our bell rung but good within in the next century, give or take.

the technology useful in deflecting an asteroidal or cometary crash on Earth exists today. nuclear missles, lasers all exist, the question is how long would it take to construct reliable systems in Earth or near Earth orbit which could deflect those NEOs. this threat to the planet is real, there is excellent video of the Hale-Bopp comet impacting Jupiter a few years ago. the explosions which occured on Jupiter were more powerful than the explosion which ended the Mesozoic and extinguished most of the dinosaurs.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 09:36:50 pm »
brokeplex, you are right that we are NOW in the ice age, if that is what you are saying!!

But, ice is melting!!!

I just heard on TV an hour ago, that Earth was 9 out of 10 of its age without ice!!

The ice is rather newness on Earth!!

Did you know that?

Now, we are finding that volcanos are SAVING us, you know?

- so maybe a small tiny asteroid could too dare I ask??

Hugs!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 09:38:45 pm »
no, I am not saying that we are currently in an Ice Age. we are in an interglacial period that is rapidly coming to an end.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 10:05:28 pm »
The TV said that WE ARE IN ICE AGE!!

But the volcanos are helping US with that!! Especially like that California one, since it is one of the special ones WE NEED to survive!! You know that?

Maybe I misunderstood??

Hugs!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 12:43:59 am »
the technology useful in deflecting an asteroidal or cometary crash on Earth exists today. nuclear missles, lasers all exist, the question is how long would it take to construct reliable systems in Earth or near Earth orbit which could deflect those NEOs. this threat to the planet is real, there is excellent video of the Hale-Bopp comet impacting Jupiter a few years ago. the explosions which occured on Jupiter were more powerful than the explosion which ended the Mesozoic and extinguished most of the dinosaurs.

The technology exists, but the actual logistics are still up in the air, so to speak.  Nuclear missiles as a solution have been dismissed out of hand, since they might make a large dangerous object into a bunch of much smaller dangerous objects.  Lasers exist, but they would have to be mounted on a ship to go out to deflect said asteroid, and who knows what size and power we will need and how fast we'll need it.  Will we have it when the NEO is identified?  I've seen on science documentaries that the technology exists for asteroids, but not for errant comets which are also a problem - as you said.  Recently, the scientific community was practicing landing on a comet just to see if we could - a great opportunity taken advantage of.  We might have to land a ship on an asteroid and use its engines to redirect the object.   

Offline Artiste

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 12:48:33 am »
Interesting!!

Did a comic book story ever suggested us landing on an asteroid for such action to divert that one or another from hitting Earth??

Just wondering!! After all, Superman was a comic story book creation!!
<
Hugs!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 12:49:59 am »
Interesting!!

Did a comic book story ever suggested us landing on an asteroid for such action to divert that one or another from hitting Earth??

Just wondering!! After all, Superman was a comic story book creation!!
<
Hugs!

:laugh:

I'm sure SOME comic book did at some point.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 12:52:14 am »
Yes! I think so too!!

Think saw one, but can not remember!!

Maybe someone knows?

Hugs! 

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 01:36:24 am »

The technology exists, but the actual logistics are still up in the air, so to speak.

Nuclear missiles as a solution have been dismissed out of hand, since they might make a large dangerous object into a bunch of much smaller dangerous objects. 

Lasers exist, but they would have to be mounted on a ship to go out to deflect said asteroid, and who knows what size and power we will need and how fast we'll need it.

the logistics are up the in the air because of the lack of political will to adequately fund an asteroid defense.

not by all scientists familiar with the problem dismiss the nuclear option, the probability of missiles pulverizing a large asteroid into "smaller more dangerous objects" depends upon the unique orbital path of the NEO in question and how far away from Earth it is when impacted.

the lasers powerful enough to deflect a large asteroid do not yet exist, they do not have to be mounted in near Earth orbit, they can be on the moon, in the Lagrange points, or even as far away as Mercury and still be very effective. I like the Mercury option because of the option of solar panels used to recharge those giant lasers.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 08:56:29 am »
the logistics are up the in the air because of the lack of political will to adequately fund an asteroid defense.

not by all scientists familiar with the problem dismiss the nuclear option, the probability of missiles pulverizing a large asteroid into "smaller more dangerous objects" depends upon the unique orbital path of the NEO in question and how far away from Earth it is when impacted.

Hmmm, interesting...but who's going to risk the possibility that they are incorrect considering what's at stake?

the lasers powerful enough to deflect a large asteroid do not yet exist, they do not have to be mounted in near Earth orbit, they can be on the moon, in the Lagrange points, or even as far away as Mercury and still be very effective. I like the Mercury option because of the option of solar panels used to recharge those giant lasers.

Yep, like I said.  The logistics are still up in the air.  We have some of the technology, but nothing's been really tested, the funding's not there and not likely to be considering our current economic status.