Author Topic: Heath Ledger's Accidental Overdose - Discussion Thread (Was: Breaking News)  (Read 85530 times)

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: BREAKING NEWS: HEATH LEDGER FINAL AUTOPSY RESULTS
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2008, 07:32:48 pm »
I think this depends on the region of the country, Kaiser.  Up here, any local CVS will fill an Oxycontin prescription no questions asked.  When my mom had to have the methadone, we had to fill that at the hospital, however.

Maybe you are right, it's could be regional but I thought all FDA rules were national. Here, one's regular doc can write only one script for this drug and if more is needed the doc cannot do it, but the patient must go to a pain management doc and be carefully monitored. This is because they build up to a level of toleration for opiates and pain mgmt pros do this. I was wrong about the hospital-only part; rather once a patient fills a prescription at a hospital or pharmacy, the particular script cannot be filled at any other location...it is locked in for security. At least that's the way here.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2008, 07:34:15 pm »
"There was some open space between what he knew and what he wanted to believe, but there was nothing to be done about it, and if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it."

God bless you, Heath.

Yes.

And remember, Heath is unhappy that we're all so sad and upset. He didn't leave to make us sad, he left because his work was done.  I know this.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2008, 07:51:28 pm »
Maybe you are right, it's could be regional but I thought all FDA rules were national.

The FDA does not regulate prescribing practices of physicians and midlevel practitioners. The relevant department is the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), in the Department of Justice.

And yes, DEA regulations are national.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Soluki

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »
Many states have separate guidelines and rules for the prescribing of cotrolled sunstances, and some even require a separate certificate/registration in order to prescribe said medications.  The unfortunate part is that you, me and just about anyone can get any or all of the meds that were found in his bloodstream from online sources sans written prescription.

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2008, 08:08:36 pm »
The unfortunate part is that you, me and just about anyone can get any or all of the meds that were found in his bloodstream from online sources sans written prescription.

Yikes, I didn't even think of that. :-\

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2008, 08:26:23 pm »
I find this hard to believe. I have bought prescriptions online (due to their inexpensiveness) and they don't ship them till the prescription is sent to them. I have always needed a prescription.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2008, 08:49:09 pm »
I know I'm new here, so I'm sorry if this is out of line...

But an ad was put in the Australian paper from "the men and women of Bettermost.net." There is every possibility Heath's family and friends may come to this site. Do we really want them to read that he was a drug abuser, and that he and they are equally responsible for his death because they didn't care enough about him?

Please. Think of what you're saying, and who might read it. This is the last thing they need.

I just read this entire thread and what you posted, Verona, was the best post of the whole lot! 

We are all upset, we won't be gettin any more information.  We all loved Heath,  Heath is no longer with us. 

As Annie wrote,

"they'd never got much farther than that. Let be, let be." 

Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2008, 08:56:52 pm »
Has there been blame placed on his parents here? That would surprise me.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2008, 09:28:41 pm »
I see this whole thread as people who cherished and admired Heath grieving him and trying to come to terms in their own mind with the tragic and (IMO) disturbing news concerning the accidental cause of death. This is a message board and that's the way we give voice to our feelings.
No, I wouldn't want to cause Heath's friends and family pain for the world, but I am relatively sure they have had the same reactions that are being currently voiced here. So hopefully they would recognize this for what it is: Bewildered people who loved and respected Heath, dealing with their grief, going through all the common stages and mental processes of bereavement. Hopefully they would realize that this is in fact the background for all the many threads here on Heath's passing, - some of which certainly contain painful matters such as harsh news items, images, - and related discussions.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2008, 09:30:51 pm »
I think Heath was trying to get well as fast as possible because he was going back to film some more in a few days. He was very professional -- he would not want to miss work by being sick. I hate to miss work. If I am feeling bad, I'll stay home all weekend and rest to try and feel better so I'll be able to go to work on Monday. (It's VERY aggravating -- people who miss on Mondays because they partied all weekend -- then others/I have to do their jobs for them.)

And if I'd had the prescriptions that Heath had, I'd be likely to overmedicate, too, to try to get well faster. Not good thinking, but it happens. He just wanted to feel better.

Such a lovely, darling person -- such a loss for the whole world.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~