Author Topic: Space Travel  (Read 18949 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Space Travel
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 11:11:56 pm »
You don't need a centrifuge, you simply add spin to the spacecraft itself. This will simulate Earth gravity, and is necessary for long voyages. The types of voyages where suspended animation is necessary would be the interstellar type. Just journeying to Mars would not take so much time as to require freezer units. But, without breaking the light barrier (warp speed for Trekies like me) you need either multigenerational ships, or cryofreezers for the very, very long trips to even the nearest stars.

Folks from NASA were the ones I heard talking about the suspended animation. They said it would be necessary on a mission to Mars because of the food and water situation. It wouldn't be pratical and also very difficult to store enough food and water to feed a crew for two years - especially if it is a round trip which would actually be four years supply of food and water aboard.

But I heard that a couple of years ago, and maybe they have figured something out between then and now.  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 11:25:19 pm »
Folks from NASA were the ones I heard talking about the suspended animation. They said it would be necessary on a mission to Mars because of the food and water situation. It wouldn't be pratical and also very difficult to store enough food and water to feed a crew for two years - especially if it is a round trip which would actually be four years supply of food and water aboard.

But I heard that a couple of years ago, and maybe they have figured something out between then and now.  :)

aw!! now see...I didn't think about the food or water!!

you have a good point, David...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 04:51:45 pm »
water will be recycled, no need to store it, just refine your piss and youv'e got NASA spring water!

Food can be dehydrated and stored as well, the prospective travel time to Mars is only 9 months to a year, well within the capabilities of our technology right now to send a small crew there and back with no major storage problems.

cryostorage however is probably the only way that humans will make it to even the nearest star systems, until Cochrane invents warp drive after WWIII

injest

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 04:53:11 pm »
water will be recycled, no need to store it, just refine your piss and youv'e got NASA spring water!

Food can be dehydrated and stored as well, the prospective travel time to Mars is only 9 months to a year, well within the capabilities of our technology right now to send a small crew there and back with no major storage problems.

cryostorage however is probably the only way that humans will make it to even the nearest star systems, until Cochrane invents warp drive after WWIII

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 10:00:46 pm »
Do your laughing cowboys indicate that you doubt that Prof Cochrane will invent warp drive, or that there will be a WWIII?

Injest, you are a sci-fi fan, why don't you drive over to DFW next Sat and meet me at ConDFW sci-fi convention? It'll be a hoot and a holler!

injest

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 11:16:31 pm »
Do your laughing cowboys indicate that you doubt that Prof Cochrane will invent warp drive, or that there will be a WWIII?

Injest, you are a sci-fi fan, why don't you drive over to DFW next Sat and meet me at ConDFW sci-fi convention? It'll be a hoot and a holler!

cause I gotta go watch the cowboys chase cows around!! they pay me a dollar for everyone there....I can make $250 - $500 for one day and all I gotta do is look at handsome men on horseback!!

(I know...TOUGH job but somebody has to do it)

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 12:07:01 am »
Zefram Cochrane?  That drunk?  It'll never get off the ground.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 12:08:12 am »
Where is the ConDFW taking place?

injest

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 12:22:15 am »
Zefram Cochrane?  That drunk?  It'll never get off the ground.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yep, he is nothing but a dreamer!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 01:49:44 am »
Where is the ConDFW taking place?

Richardson - the Marriot Hotel