Author Topic: Oysters, Sushi and Sashimi  (Read 18032 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Oysters, Sushi and Sashimi
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 12:01:50 am »
Lee managed to finally talk me into trying fish tacos a couple of years ago. Remember the infamous "Fish Taco" thread? The idea repulsed me, but I did it anyway. I forget what kind of fish we used, maybe catfish. I piled a bunch of lettuce and tomatoes in the taco shell, and then placed a few small pieces of fish in there. It was pretty good.

I once ate raw herring in Holland but that was terrible. It was served with onion. I was just a kid then but I'll never forget it!  :laugh:

Soooo, maybe Amanda I might just give sushi a try someday soon. I'll never know if I'd like it or not if I don't try it. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 12:04:03 am »
Lee managed to finally talk me into trying fish tacos a couple of years ago. Remember the infamous "Fish Taco" thread? The idea repulsed me, but I did it anyway. I forget what kind of fish we used, maybe catfish. I piled a bunch of lettuce and tomatoes in the taco shell, and then placed a few small pieces of fish in there. It was pretty good.

I totally remember the Fish Taco thread!  There's a pub quite near my work that serves them and they're really good.  The pub uses fried fish... so it's really good and greasy.

:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 04:47:54 pm »
I love sashimi, it's my favorite. Sushi is good but I like sashimi better.

You know what you forgot on your list Amanda? Clams on the half shell (I picked other). Yum. Oysters are good, clams are better.

David, when you do get up the nerve to try some sushi and/or sashimi, you should go to the restaurant with someone who knows how to order. As a newbie, it's fun to be with someone who knows the ropes.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 05:17:11 pm »
I love it all!

Most reputable sushi places use very fresh ingredients, and the chefs are well-trained in the preparation.  I've had plenty and never got sick.  I like salmon, tuna and yellowtail.  Of the cooked stuff, I especially like eel (I know, sounds gross, but it's good) and soft shell crab.

I love most oysters too.  It's the same issue:  you have to have a reputable source and know it's fresh.  I've eaten tons of raw oysters and I've never been sick from them.  Ever. 

Oysters are very varied in size, texture, and flavor.  It depends where they come from.  I'm lucky in that I can get really good Wellfleet oysters all year-round.  Also, there are a few places that fly in oysters from the west coast.  I love the kumamotos; they're so different from New England.  Whereas Wellfleets taste sweet and a little like the sea, kumamotos are small and creamy and not at all briney.

Great thread, Amanda.  YUM!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 05:19:32 pm »
I love it all!

Most reputable sushi places use very fresh ingredients, and the chefs are well-trained in the preparation.  I've had plenty and never got sick.  I like salmon, tuna and yellowtail.  Of the cooked stuff, I especially like eel (I know, sounds gross, but it's good) and soft shell crab.

I love most oysters too.  It's the same issue:  you have to have a reputable source and know it's fresh.  I've eaten tons of raw oysters and I've never been sick from them.  Ever. 

Oysters are very varied in size, texture, and flavor.  It depends where they come from.  I'm lucky in that I can get really good Wellfleet oysters all year-round.  Also, there are a few places that fly in oysters from the west coast.  I love the kumamotos; they're so different from New England.  Whereas Wellfleets taste sweet and a little like the sea, kumamotos are small and creamy and not at all briney.

Remember our yummy lunch at that oyster place, the day we saw "Candy"? Oooohhh, now I'm getting hungry!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 05:21:46 pm »
I had some yellow tail tuna recently and really enjoyed it, but it was enough for two people. Prior to that my experence with sushi was primarily California rolls and the like.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 05:50:28 pm »
Remember our yummy lunch at that oyster place, the day we saw "Candy"? Oooohhh, now I'm getting hungry!

L

OOh, yeah, B&G Oysters!!  Good stuff!  Let's go again soon.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 05:56:32 pm »
I love it all!

Thanks!  I love the eel too!

My Mom used to love, love, love raw oysters but she did get sick... and I think she's managed to instill a wariness about raw oysters in me.  I like cooked oysters (especially fried oysters).  Yum.  I've never been nervous abous sushi/sashimi in the same way.

Leslie, I've never tried clams on the half-shell.  I'm not a huge fan of clam sushi... so I wonder if I'd like clams on the half shell.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 06:06:01 pm »
Thanks!  I love the eel too!

My Mom used to love, love, love raw oysters but she did get sick... and I think she's managed to instill a wariness about raw oysters in me.  I like cooked oysters (especially fried oysters).  Yum.  I've never been nervous abous sushi/sashimi in the same way.

Leslie, I've never tried clams on the half-shell.  I'm not a huge fan of clam sushi... so I wonder if I'd like clams on the half shell.

Like Paul, I've eaten a mountain of raw fish, oysters, and clams in my life and never been bothered. But then again, I do have a cast iron stomach. LOL.

I've never had clam sushi...it doesn't even appeal to me!

Clams on the half shell, someplace where the clams are cold and the sun is hot. A nice cold bottle of beer, a little cocktail sauce on the clam with a squeeze of lemon and touch of horseradish. Slurp 'em down...heaven!

I like the little ones and I get them mixed up which ones are little...Littlenecks? Cherrystones? Anyone?

L

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 06:11:43 pm »
Hmm, I think the littlenecks are littler than the cherrystones.  I don't like them raw; rather, I like them barely cooked.  I put them on the grill, put the top down, sixty seconds later, they pop open.  Dip them in melted butter with finely chopped garlic and parsley.  Yum.