Author Topic: POLL: Heath Charity Donation  (Read 30951 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: NEW POLL: Heath Charity Donation (Vote for 2)
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 02:51:10 am »
Ah, my persuasive friends.  I agree with Pete.  Please post your reasoning for where you want to donate.  I haven't voted yet, waiting to read what develops.

I did, however, just write to the director of the Wirrpanda Foundation, explaining that we are in the process of deciding, and asking her to please tell me about Heath's involvement with it.  I'll report when I hear from her.  I guess there is a good chance she's at the office, since I'm about to go to bed.  :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 03:02:25 am »
Well  Fran and Pete, you've given me something to think about. I'm going to wait untill you hear from the Wirrpanda Foundation Elle. It will be interesting to hear about Heath's involvement.
I'm not for 'doing things in Perth' because I feel his family have indicated (strongly, in my opinion) that they want to be left in peace. But donating money to a local charity is certainly a good idea, especially if it's a charity that Heath supported.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 10:01:39 am »
Heya,

I like your points here Bud.  And, while I voted for Variety and Matthew Shephard... I'd certainly feel good about the David Wirrpanda Foundation too.

Just as a refresher... am I correct in remembering that Heath officially supported the first three charities on the list (Variety, LIFEbeat, and ALAFA)... and that Variety is the charity for which the BBM shirts were auctioned?   I was under the assumption that those BBM shirts were the reasons why both Heath and Jake were active with the Variety charity... but maybe I'm wrong in thinking this.

Yes, about the three charities. That was the info I originally found.

And, yes, about the shirts and Variety.

The third part (Heath and Jake's involvement) may be an assumption. It certainly makes sense but I don't know that I have seen that documented anywhere.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 01:24:51 pm »
I was going to vote for another charity on our short list, but after reading what Fran wrote, I am now voting for the David Wirrpanda Foundation, for the reasons that Fran gave.  Heath, although living in NYC, was an Aussie and this is a Perth Aussie charity.  I forgot, how do we know heath supported it?

I encourage others to state their reasons for their vote.  This exchange of ideas will help us all make a good collective decision.  I still think it should be one donation to one charity, since it is not a huge (but is a substantial) donation and it would mean more the the recipient, IMHO, if if were to go to one charity.

Pete 

Pete,

Here's a reposting of my post (reply #28) on the original poll thread which includes an excerpt from an article which mentions Heath's name in connection with the David Wirrpanda Foundation.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Mikaela originally suggested an Aboriginal charity.  Well, according to the following article in The Age by Martin Flanagan (http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/ledger-another-great-who-died-too-young/2008/01/24/1201157560500.html)  Heath supported the David Wirrpanda Foundation.  (A check of the foundation's website lists Heath as one of its three ambassadors.)  David Wirrpanda was present at the memorial service in Perth.  He's an Australian football star.

Ledger another great who died too young

Martin Flanagan
January 25, 2008
WHEN I recently interviewed the American journalist Lewis Lapham, he asked me a question — why is it that the good American actors nowadays are Australian?

I guessed that maybe it was because we were less sophisticated. Like frontier types, we were closer to our primary feelings and emotions. Around the same time, I interviewed the West Coast Eagles footballer David Wirrpanda, an emerging leader in the Aboriginal community. Heath Ledger, who grew up in Perth, was an Eagles' fan, and an ambassador for the David Wirrpanda Foundation, which seeks to assist indigenous kids.

Wirrpanda, who is friends with the Ledger family, yesterday described the actor as "an easygoing, loveable character".

Wirrpanda said that what particularly interested him about Heath Ledger was his spirituality, the fact that he maintained such private aims for his public achievements.

Wirrpanda's view is consistent with the testimony of those who knew Ledger and have spoken since his death.

Here's some information about the foundation from its website:

The David Wirrpanda foundation exists to IMPROVE THE LIFE OUTCOMES OF INDIGENOUS CHILDREN by Promoting strong role models and healthy life choices. 2005 saw the launch of the David Wirrpanda Foundation through the support of Woodside Energy Ltd as founding sponsor.

The focus is to:

-- Increase the retention of indigenous students in school, and
-- Improve their life choices after leaving school by encouraging further study or entry into the workforce.

Since commencing operations in 2005, the Foundation has established successful programs in Perth and the Shire of Roebourne School attendance and behaviour has improved.

Mentoring by West Coast Eagles footballer David Wirrpanda, Troy Cook, Bianca Franklin and other indigenous role models are an important part of the Foundation’s work.

The foundation has established strong links with the communities in which it operates as well as obtaining funding from sponsors and government sources.

Major sponsors of the Foundation include founding sponsor Woodside Energy, Rio Tinto, Pilbara Development Commission, the West Coast Eagles Supporter’s Club, Lotterywest and Commonwealth Grants.

The Foundation now plans to build on these successes by expanding its operations in Perth and the Pilbara.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 02:47:17 pm »
I like Fran voted for more local to heath charities, and since we all came together because of BBM, matthew Shepard but if i had to pick one it would be the Wireperria one - becasue we also know that Heath had an ACTIVE involvement with it - Varierty etc, he could have just sent something to be nice but not actually been that involved.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 05:35:58 pm »
I did, however, just write to the director of the Wirrpanda Foundation, explaining that we are in the process of deciding, and asking her to please tell me about Heath's involvement with it.  I'll report when I hear from her.  I guess there is a good chance she's at the office, since I'm about to go to bed.  :)

Great idea, Clarissa.  Hopefully, you will get a response to your e-mail inquiry soon.

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 11:15:23 pm »
I voted for the 2 AIDS related charities... there is some personal significance to me, and Heath supported them...  I didn't vote for the Variety one, because honestly, the description didn't sound very earnest to me...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 02:25:26 am »
I voted for the David Wirrpanda Foundation and ALAFA, but have to confess I mixed up something when I voted for ALAFA.
I thought I remember to have read Heath' planned Africa trip had been in support of ALAFA, but that's wrong. It would have been in support of an (unnamed) enviromental group, according to the looktothestars website.
But that's ok. I think all of the choices are good ones.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 03:43:36 am »
Thanks again, Meryl...Money is on its way tomorrow morning.  I voted for the aboriginal children's charity.  I agree with Pete that one donation would mean more to a single charity than spreading it across two.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 06:17:41 am »
Great idea, Clarissa.  Hopefully, you will get a response to your e-mail inquiry soon.

Nothing so far.  But I didn't remember about the info you just posted when I wrote to them.  Maybe they won't tell me anything more than that.