Author Topic: POLL: Heath Charity Donation  (Read 30660 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: NEW POLL: Heath Charity Donation (Vote for 2)
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2008, 07:10:48 am »
i would be happy to send to 2 charitys but no more.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2008, 10:46:17 am »

A)  Do we know where we would send birthday flowers for Heath?  If so, I would suggest that Peachy use the memorial flower money for birthday flowers.

B)  I would like to feel clearer about whether we want to send all the remaining funds collected to the charity with the most votes, or do some sort of split between the top two charities?  I am inclined to be persuaded by Pete and others that more money to one may be the way to go, but maybe we should take a poll on just that - whether to send the money to a) one charity, or b) two charities.

As I type this it's 19 for the Wirrpanda Foundation and 15 for the Matthew Shepard Foundation. 

C)  Heath's birthday is April 4th, less than a month away.  I think it would be good to have made the decisions and made the donation(s) by then, in honor of his birthday.

What do you all think of my little A), B), and C) points?

a) I agree with amanda.
b) another poll is fine, but i'm fine with just one charity... it seems only one person voted in the above poll to split the donation.  people can [obviously] feel free to donate on their own if their choice didn't get chosen.
c) yes, it seems good to have the donation done by Heath's birthday.

my 2 cents...
 :)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2008, 11:08:02 am »
A) I like the idea of floating flowers at Cottlesloe Beach better than the cemetary thing.

B) I would prefer one charity.

C) Yes, in time for Heath's birthday.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2008, 01:26:03 pm »
A) I like both ideas, flowers to the cementary as well as floating them on Cottlesoe Beach. Whatever is easier to realize.

B) Again, I'm ok with both possibilities, to give it all to one charitiy or to two. But I'd say not more than two.

C) Agreed with everybody so far. Hopefully we'll get this done before his birthday.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2008, 01:46:45 pm »
A)  Birthday flowers sent to the cemetery or floated on the beach -- either is fine with me.

B)  I had been a proponent of donating to just one charity, but now I'm thinking that two charities is the way to go.  This way, more contributors would feel as if their wishes were being carried out.     

C)  Let's definitely get this completed by April 4th.  While our donation(s) can be made "in memory of Heath Ledger," I'd like to see it (them?) made "in celebration of the life Heath Ledger." 

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2008, 06:01:52 pm »
A) I also like both ideas - either the flowers sent to the cemetery or floating them on the beach.

B) I would prefer donating to one charity.

C) I would like to see this done in time for Heath's birthday.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2008, 10:15:40 pm »
I am not trying to be blunt, but maybe I am blunt: I think it is time to make a decision. Meryl has been spearheading this whole effort so I would suggest that she pull all the information together, make a decision, and report back to us. I think it is time to move on on this, as they say. I support Meryl and her analysis of the info and final decision.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2008, 02:26:27 am »
I am not trying to be blunt, but maybe I am blunt: I think it is time to make a decision. Meryl has been spearheading this whole effort so I would suggest that she pull all the information together, make a decision, and report back to us. I think it is time to move on on this, as they say. I support Meryl and her analysis of the info and final decision.

L

I agree Leslie.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2008, 02:53:54 am »
Hey, buds, sorry to be dragging my feet on this.  I've had a heavy work schedule lately, and very little time and energy to answer your questions.

I think it is best to give all the money to the David Wirrpanda Foundation, since only one person voted in the poll for splitting the donation, and the Wirrpanda organization is a very fitting recipient.  We know Heath was an active supporter as well as a friend of David Wirrpanda, and it celebrates his Australian roots as well.

I've asked Phillip to write to the Foundation about how to send the funds and suggested he donate the money directly from BetterMost.  It totals $1,175.00, after deducting $300.00 for the condolence notices. 

Around $85.00 should be left for flowers to be sent on Heath's birthday to Karrakatta Cemetery.  Since Peachy lives several hours away from Perth, I think this is better than having her make the trek there to float the flowers off Cottesloe Beach, as nice an idea as that is.  Besides, I'm hoping the cemetery will notify the family that the flowers were received.

I hope this sounds like a good course of action to everyone.  It's been great to be a part of this effort to honor our beloved Heath.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2008, 06:14:40 am »
Great job!

Thank you, Meryl!

;D
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"