Author Topic: Tales of Greenlea County - Discussion of All Stories (UPDATE)  (Read 90991 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Tales of Greenlea County - Discussion of All Stories
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 07:08:36 pm »
Speaking of enjoying your stories, Louise - if memory serves, one of my favorite chapters ever should be coming up soon.  I think it was titled "Memento Mori" "In the Open" and it remains one of the most beautiful, poignant and profound things I've had the privilege to read.

Marie

Edited to correct chapter title.   It's Chapter 41 of 'Long Way Home" that I was thinking of.  "Memento Mori" is Chapter 49 - a great chapter, too, in a different way - and I love the title, which is why it stuck in my mind!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 11:05:23 pm by mariez »
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 08:50:17 pm »
yup, coming up in a handful of chapters, you are right, Marie!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline messej

• Don't Say Much
    • LJ
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 08:58:36 pm »
Hooray, I was just posting to ask how soon, but ya beat me to it.

I need to find another newbie - I can't be the only one! It's like arriving late to the party... or, considering the legitimatizing overhaul, arriving late to the party that got broken up by the cops and moved to a house down the street.

I am so excited to find out what happens next - I've sorta peeked at future stories on louisev, but there were too many new people, so I held off diving in. Managed to glean that there are rings in the offing and Dupree is maybe gay after all, though. Heh, knew it - and then 38 kinda confirmed it.

I feel a smidgen of sympathy for Laura - not much, but it's there. It tends to flare up when she's off being so profoundly unhappy with her life, but the sympathy dies down whenever she tries to drag Colson and the twins down with her.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 09:06:36 pm »

No you arent the only one, in fact another new reader has registered here at Bettermost, but sometimes it takes a little coaxing to get them to join in.  Don't worry, the regulars here just LOVE going back over things!!!

and there is a whole lot of plot and a whole lot of story that happens between 'Long Way Home' and the current stories, believe me!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 09:44:22 pm »
... Don't worry, the regulars here just LOVE going back over things!!!

LOL!  You can say that again, Louise!

Jess, don't worry about finding another newbie - although it would be great to see more new faces here! - I'm still excited about reading the revamped chapters as they're posted.  And I'm excited for you because I totally understand the anticipation of reading this for the first time. 

I have some sympathy for Laura, too.  No doubt she was dealt a bad hand in life.  I don't like to see her bitterness rise to the surface and cause trouble between Colson and their daughters, but I have to admit it would be pretty hard to witness the man you still love being so obviously and madly in love with someone else - man or woman, especially when your own life is less than satisfying.

As for what you've gleaned, well - I'll just repeat what Louise said - a whole lot happens! LOL!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 09:57:08 pm »
actually now that I think about it, most readers probably have not seen or read back over these since I originally posted them, and that is about a year and a half ago.  So there is a lot new going on here for rereaders!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 11:27:34 pm »
I just had to post a bit from my favorite Chapter 41  - "In the Open," that I referred to above.

...It was something he squeezed down inside him, compressing it like a piece of paper wadded up until it became a tiny square, and then swallowed and forgot it, until it grew back to its original size in the presence of Adam – his catalyst, and came up and choked him until he could not breathe, until Adam revived him with his own breath, his own essence. It only lived in Adam’s presence, he told himself. The rest of the time, he was numb. He worked, he slept, he walked stoically and numbly through each day, thinking of little else but making the time pass until he could live again, in those compressed hours hidden away in that secret place that was his real life.

He took the return at a slower pace, his mood sinking from anxious and sad to depressed, and he fought a suffocating urge to flee in the opposite direction, to ride Nellie down an unknown path to an unknown destination, for the sheer feeling of wild escape – because he knew he had to return and face himself, face Ellery, and face what he could no longer deny about himself. He was in love with a man, and admitting it to himself for the first time.

Witnessing this watershed in Colson's life is so incredibly moving I can't describe it.  A truly remarkable chapter, Louise.

Thanks,
Marie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 11:49:56 pm »
whoo wee!  Yeah, that read pretty well on second reading for me!

Offline acht-acht

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2008, 12:42:06 pm »
I just had to post a bit from my favorite Chapter 41  - "In the Open," that I referred to above.

...It was something he squeezed down inside him, compressing it like a piece of paper wadded up until it became a tiny square, and then swallowed and forgot it.

I just read that chapter myself, it´s wonderful!  I´m another newbie ... I couldn´t decide where to post comments yet, here or at TC reader or on the "Rookie" discussion or at the end of each new chapter or everywhere. I´m a mess! But I´m getting there. Clara

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 01:11:06 pm »
you can post wherever you like, I read all the comments, but I tend to make more replies in this discussion, since it is the most-read area.  This discussion area gets a lot of reading from the public, because it isnt necessary to register or to log in, in order to read the comments here.

Another "new" reader, Messej, has just joined this week too, it is great to talk to you both!