Author Topic: Wet and dry  (Read 2773 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Wet and dry
« on: March 05, 2008, 09:35:34 am »
I live in Seattle.  I thought it would be fun to show the variety found in Washington State.  Here's what I can drive to in about two hours, depending on which direction I head:

The Hoh Rain Forest, about 100 miles west of Seattle                                 Vantage, WA, about 100 miles east of Seattle

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Wet and dry
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:16:03 am »
I live in Seattle.  I thought it would be fun to show the variety found in Washington State.  Here's what I can drive to in about two hours, depending on which direction I head:

The Hoh Rain Forest, about 100 miles west of Seattle                                 Vantage, WA, about 100 miles east of Seattle

Cool idea for a thread Deputy Mayoy! 8)  I'll post pics from the Pittsburgh region when I get home from work.

I love your photos here!  When I visited Seattle in college, my friend and I went out to the rainforest for the day and it was amazing!  I have a big photo album filled with pics from that visit.  I recall being in that rainforest really inspired me to be a shutter-bug it was all so gorgeous.  LOL, I had written a big paper on the spotted owl issue for a class long, long ago before I made my visit out there, and I recall that was one of the reasons I was so curious and determined to visit the rainforest while I was there.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:55:04 am »
I took a slightly different approach. I found this very cool website, GPS visualizer. From there, I drew a ring 100 miles around Portland.

100 miles in any easterly direction, you'll be in the ocean. 100 miles north and west, you'll be in the mountains of ME and NH...almost Vermont. Push a little further north and you'll be in Canada. 100 miles south (with a slight western bend) and you'll be in Boston. So, cities, oceans, and mountains are all close by.

Here's the website. It's fun to play with!

http://ww.gpsvisualizer.com/calculators
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 12:58:15 pm »
Here is Front-Ranger, dry (in Colorado):

and Front-Ranger, wet (in New Hampshire):

"chewing gum and duct tape"