Author Topic: Kerry's Visit to Heath at the Archibald  (Read 25362 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Kerry's Visit to Heath at the Archibald
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 01:37:44 am »
My most vivid memory of Sydney is of the white parrots in the trees.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 02:31:33 am »
You are very welcome, Berit. I'm glad you enjoyed my walking tour of Sydney. It will soon be Summer in Sweden and when it is, it'll be Winter here in Australia. However, what we call "Winter" in Australia, is probably more like Summer in some places. We have a very mild Winter in Oz.  :D

Lucky for you Kerry! Some of us have suffered through this winter.

Oh, we've suffered.  >:(  >:(  :P

And we can't wait for spring to arrive! :D

And I also can't wait to move back to South Florida sometime soon! ;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 08:45:29 am »

My most vivid memory of Sydney is of the white parrots in the trees.

They are Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, Clarissa. They're as big as hens and are very noisy, aggressive, bad tempered birds. Flocks of them regularly fly past my window, squawking loudly. They look nice but sound terrible. They make a terrible din.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 08:49:49 am »
Lucky for you Kerry! Some of us have suffered through this winter.

Oh, we've suffered.  >:(  >:(  :P

And we can't wait for spring to arrive! :D

And I also can't wait to move back to South Florida sometime soon! ;)

I hope your wish for a South Florida relocation comes true for you, David!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2008, 09:56:44 am »
Thank you very much for this thread Kerry. I have never been to Australia, I have enjoyed seeing a part of Sidney through your eyes very much, rather then through the pictures in a book.

It might have been posted and I might have missed it, how large would you say Heath's portrait is?

sel
BbM, I swear

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2008, 06:29:45 pm »
Thank you very much for this thread Kerry. I have never been to Australia, I have enjoyed seeing a part of Sidney through your eyes very much, rather then through the pictures in a book.

It might have been posted and I might have missed it, how large would you say Heath's portrait is?

sel

Ooh, that's a hard one, sel.   ???

There is no such thing as a small painting in the Archibald. It seems to be a requirement of entry, to paint a large canvas.  ::)

Having said that, however, the portrait of Heath wasn't huge. Certainly, not as big as the winning entry, as I recall.

I find it very difficult to judge painting size in a vast, open, empty gallery space, with high ceilings. Such a setting seems to make all paintings appear smaller than they are.  :-\

I've guessed painting sizes in similar settings in the past and have been waaay out, so would prefer not to has it a guess. Suffice to say that it's not the biggest canvas there and nor is it the smallest.

One of the most striking thing about Heath's portrait is that it's painted on a horizontal canvas, usually used for landscapes.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »
Kerry....I have seen this thread popping up on my "unread threads" list, and only today did I finally visit....

What a beautiful scope of Sydney you have photographed and shared with our friends overseas, and the response you have received is due credit to you.

As an ex-Sydney sider myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the walk throug Hyde Park up to the Gallery (even felt a bit homesick). Thank you.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2008, 07:28:45 pm »
Kerry....I have seen this thread popping up on my "unread threads" list, and only today did I finally visit....

What a beautiful scope of Sydney you have photographed and shared with our friends overseas, and the response you have received is due credit to you.

As an ex-Sydney sider myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the walk throug Hyde Park up to the Gallery (even felt a bit homesick). Thank you.

Ta muchly for your feedback, Sue. Glad you enjoyed it.  :D 

(Sorry for making you homesick)  :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2008, 03:37:38 am »
Ooh, that's a hard one, sel.   ???

There is no such thing as a small painting in the Archibald. It seems to be a requirement of entry, to paint a large canvas.  ::)

Having said that, however, the portrait of Heath wasn't huge. Certainly, not as big as the winning entry, as I recall.

I find it very difficult to judge painting size in a vast, open, empty gallery space, with high ceilings. Such a setting seems to make all paintings appear smaller than they are.  :-\

I've guessed painting sizes in similar settings in the past and have been waaay out, so would prefer not to has it a guess. Suffice to say that it's not the biggest canvas there and nor is it the smallest.

One of the most striking thing about Heath's portrait is that it's painted on a horizontal canvas, usually used for landscapes.  :D

Thank you Kerry,
I was hoping it would be a large canvas. Let's hope it will travel the world.
BbM, I swear

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2008, 05:15:19 am »
sel

Hi Sel,
obviously I haven't been there, but on HHH MaineWriter has posted a photo of the artist with his work. It gives a good impression of the size: