Author Topic: Technical help thread  (Read 2695 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Technical help thread
« on: March 10, 2008, 02:01:19 pm »
Could we have a techy help thread please? Or do we already have one and I didn,t know it? I,m having some serious troubles with my pc at the moment and advice would be appreciated. I discovered that it had been overheating, because it turned it,s self off. I took it apart and cleaned the fan. Jesus the dust!! :o
Anyway all seemed  well until today. For some reason if I use the scroll wheel on my mouse, it enlarges the text. My address bar has vanished and so has my task bar. If I point my pointer to the top of the page, some of my address bar comes back but not all.
Then I shut the web page and clicked on the "my computer" icon. Instead of that a web page appeared. When I clicked on Internet Explorere, the my computer page appeared. Any advice please before I throw the stupid pile of junk into next doors pond would be appreciated. >:( >:( >:( >:( Thanks.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Technical help thread
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 02:43:23 pm »
Then I shut the web page and clicked on the "my computer" icon. Instead of that a web page appeared. When I clicked on Internet Explorere, the my computer page appeared. Any advice please before I throw the stupid pile of junk into next doors pond would be appreciated. >:( >:( >:( >:( Thanks.

Well, this sounds like a delayed reaction. If I were you, I would reboot, then run a diagnostic program on your computer. See if it needs defragging. That should improve performance. And then you should optimize your display. Read your manual and figure out what routines you should be running to keep your computer operating well. Also, update your virus protection software often.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

injest

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 03:11:39 pm »
hey Souxi, do you have an anti virus program running?  I don't know all that much but I will share what I do know.

Do you know how to Scan your system for errors and clean it up? do that before you defrag.

if you don't know, let us know.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 03:52:27 am »
Thanks guys. Yes I do know how to defrag and I,ve done all that. I,ve pressed the f8 key on start up and taken it back to it,s last know good configuration. Didn,t help. The main problem seems to be with the mouse so maybe I need a new one, BUT, would a faulty mouse make my address bar vanish and my task bar disapear? Also it only changes the text size when I use the scroll wheel sometimes, not always. Also one time when I used the scoll wheel, a few of the icons on my desktop turned blue. Weird. I,m gonna get a new mouse and see if that makes any difference. This one is optical, ie it doesn,t have a ball in it, but it plugs into my usb port. Why can,t things just bloody work grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 04:46:41 am »
Souixi......did you say your mouse is playing up........

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 11:48:57 pm »
hey , can we post issues about the forum here too?  i don't know how to quote just one line from someones' post...i usually just press quote, then manually delete anything i didn't want to use.  :-\
also, i tried to go on the chat forum the other day, and my computer won't let me.  says something about being an unknown publisher?  i changed some of the security settings, but it still wouldn't let me run it.  any ideas?

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 12:27:14 am »
hey , can we post issues about the forum here too?  i don't know how to quote just one line from someones' post...i usually just press quote, then manually delete anything i didn't want to use.  :-\

thats what I do too.....is there an easier way??

Dont know why you cant get into chat...
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection