Author Topic: Proulx "these characters began to get very damn real"  (Read 24145 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Proulx "these characters began to get very damn real"
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2008, 08:35:49 pm »
Thanks bliss, thanks optom, thanks myprivatejack!!!

Ennis always wanted a boy ?

Any proof of that wanting?

Hugs! Or is that because Ennis seems very damn real to us and we imagine him wanting a male child, since he has girls only with Alma... as his children ?? !!

In the SS in their very last meeting Ennis say to Jack,"I used a want boy for kid" "but just got little girlls"
Jacks reply is so full of pathos "I didn't want none of either kind" "but fuck all has worked the way I wanted.Nothin never come to my hand the right way"
To think not one single thng has worked out for him.
I know some things have been pretty terrible for me,but at least some things have been good.It is just so desperate as we then learn that this will be their last meeting.
However on a lighter note,at least that conversation was followed by sex.Good ex as well described as the brilliant charge of their coouplings.However from then on it's downhill pretty fast,

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2008, 10:39:14 pm »
Thanks optom!

You say:
Jacks reply is so full of pathos "I didn't want none of either kind" "but fuck all has worked the way I wanted.Nothin never come to my hand the right way"

Optom and to all too:
this leads me to believe much more that Jack's boy is NOT his... but he accepts him!!

What do you think?

Hugs! That is what makes it much more damn real twice or more for me!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2008, 10:59:11 pm »
Thanks bliss!

Is Aguirre like a real person to you?

To anyone?

Hugs!

yes, Aguirre is very real indeed! Randy Quaid's masterful performance, although brief, was sufficient to make Joe live and breath.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2008, 11:00:28 pm »
Thanks optom!

You say:

Optom and to all too:
this leads me to believe much more that Jack's boy is NOT his... but he accepts him!!

What do you think?

Hugs! That is what makes it much more damn real twice or more for me!!

I do not get any feeling that the son is not Jacks.He is clearly devoted to the child.He is the one who is going into the child school all the time,to sort out his problem.Lureen seems very unconcerned,about her son.If he was not Jacks,surely she would be more concerned,than him.
I read it that he did not want kids because it would be more tying.He certainly has sex with Lureen early on.After that seems to stop.Hence presumably only one child.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2008, 11:01:24 pm »
No, he doesn't, I guess partly because he doesn't figure very prominently in the story, except of course it's Aguirre who brings them down off the mountain early. I can't understand his attitudes (though I recognise there's plenty of people out there who share his attitudes), in that it's not something I can relate to, so I find it difficult to get inside his head, and therefore he doesn't seem as real to me, not in the same way Ennis and Jack are.

Jack would have his son every once in a while. I like MAdLori's "Human Interest/Two Crows Joy" fanfics though, where Alma Jnr ends up living with them on their ranch, where she has a good relationship with both of them and Jack treats her as his own daughter, not just Ennis's daughter.

if Jack left his wife and son to move up with Ennis to WY, I doubt that Lureen would have allowed Jack much access to Bobby. and the same for Alma and the two girls.

one of the prices they would have paid for living together would have been a severing of most of their family ties.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2008, 11:03:56 pm »
Maybe He's the incarnation of intolerance,lack of respect and a very distorted way of seeing what a man must be.For me,he could be more a symbolism.There's another fanfic where both of them spend Christmas time with Bobby,whom they considered as "their boy",since Ennis always wanted to have one.And they're like a real family during these days.It's very touching. :)

although Aguirre was not happy about what he saw of Jack's and Ennis's sexual activities, he was much more concerned about making a profit from the sheep. his anger stemmed from the poor job the boys did that summer in taking care of his investment. I don't think that one can understand Aguirre without first and foremost seeing him as a businessman in need of a return on his investment.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2008, 11:04:37 pm »
Thanks bliss, thanks optom, thanks myprivatejack!!!

Ennis always wanted a boy ?

Any proof of that wanting?

Hugs! Or is that because Ennis seems very damn real to us and we imagine him wanting a male child, since he has girls only with Alma... as his children ?? !!

it is mentioned in the SS

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2008, 11:06:26 pm »
I do not get any feeling that the son is not Jacks.He is clearly devoted to the child.He is the one who is going into the child school all the time,to sort out his problem.Lureen seems very unconcerned,about her son.If he was not Jacks,surely she would be more concerned,than him.
I read it that he did not want kids because it would be more tying.He certainly has sex with Lureen early on.After that seems to stop.Hence presumably only one child.

there is an entire thread on this web site devoted to the fact that the timeline established in the film concerning Lureen's pregnancy with Bobby is such that Bobby can not be Jack's child. I remain convinced that Bobby is not Jack's child.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2008, 11:10:58 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

You say:
one of the prices they would have paid for living together would have been a severing of most of their family ties 

Brokeplex:

may I say but Alma lets Ennis see his girls (his children) ??

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2008, 11:14:51 pm »
Thanks optom!

You say about Jack and his child (Bobby) :
He certainly has sex with Lureen early on.After that seems to stop.Hence presumably only one child. 

Optom, I think like brokeplex said that is NOT Jack's child!  But since Jack is a decent person and amiable, he cares for that child as a father would.

Au revoir,
hugs!