Author Topic: butts  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
butts
« on: March 22, 2008, 10:43:23 am »
Did anyone but me find it significant that the first time we see Jack relieving himself, he's got his back to Ennis, but he's very close by, rather than walking into the trees for some privacy, thus probably revealing at least a part of his butt to Ennis sitting behind him?  Ennis takes a glance, then consciously looks away.  Then, the first time we see Ennis's butt, he's also very close by Jack, rather than going down by the river.  In the book, I believe A.P. states that Ennis actually dropped trow right there next to Jack, at the fire, and Jack noticed that Ennis wasn't wearing any drawers or socks.  Does anyone think these are precursors, setting the stage, sort of teasing each other with temptation, both incidents of which took place before the first tent scene?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
Re: butts
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 12:12:45 pm »
In the book, I believe A.P. states that Ennis actually dropped trow right there next to Jack, at the fire, and Jack noticed that Ennis wasn't wearing any drawers or socks.

Yep, I noticed that too. In the SS AP says "slopping the green washcloth around until the fire spat", suggesting he was right next to Jack. I guess in the film they had to shoot it further away to get the soft focus. I think that was definitely part of the flirting that was going on between them from early in the film. In most of the scenes it's Jack who's seen to be more obvious with his glances etc., but I think Ennis, albeit more subtly, is checking Jack out. There's those glances which are quite telling, and then also the scenes when Jack's herding where we see Ennis looking up at the pasture where Jack is with the sheep.   

Yup. I might have imagined this, and I can't see anything in the screenplay that indicates it, but does Ennis glance over at Jack while he's washing?

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »
Did anyone but me find it significant that the first time we see Jack relieving himself, he's got his back to Ennis, but he's very close by, rather than walking into the trees for some privacy, thus probably revealing at least a part of his butt to Ennis sitting behind him?  Ennis takes a glance, then consciously looks away.  Then, the first time we see Ennis's butt, he's also very close by Jack, rather than going down by the river.  In the book, I believe A.P. states that Ennis actually dropped trow right there next to Jack, at the fire, and Jack noticed that Ennis wasn't wearing any drawers or socks.  Does anyone think these are precursors, setting the stage, sort of teasing each other with temptation, both incidents of which took place before the first tent scene?

Do men show their butts while pissing fully dressed?  Most guys I've seen do it, do not show anything.  They unzip, pull the fly open and let loose, they don't lower their pants.

It might've been flirting, or the fact that they've become close and Jack's been drinking and he sees no need to run out in the woods like a modest maiden when he can just piss where he is.  The idea being 'I ain't got nothin' he don't have' locker room thinking.

Yup. I might have imagined this, and I can't see anything in the screenplay that indicates it, but does Ennis glance over at Jack while he's washing?

No, Ennis doesn't look at Jack while he's cleaning himself in the movie.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 08:16:34 pm »
no, I don't think that there is too much significance to that. they are just country guys out in the wilderness, really short on modesty and ceremony.