Author Topic: Books - Print or Digital  (Read 6502 times)

injest

Re: Books - Print or Digital
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 10:14:20 am »
I think my oldest (and much loved) book is the "Dictionary of English History" printed in London in 1910. I love that book and thumb through it often. It belonged to a dear friend of my father, now long since deceased. He gave it to me when I was a child. He was English and it's full of clipping from "The Times Literary Supplement" ("Price One Penny"). Just now, opened at random, I came across this article from 20 June 1914 (imagine what was happening in Europe at that time) - "Diary of the Black Prince Discovered when Solicitor (lawyer) Removes from old Offices - Pledging a Crown." Priceless!  :D 

LOL!!

oh that does sound like a fun thing to have...

the cookbook I found at a garage sale and paid 25 cents for. sad really how little some people value books...all the more reason for those of us that love them to hang on to them!

another thing I thought of: remember 8 track tapes? you bought all that music, then they phased them out and you had to rebuy all your music on cassette; then they phased them out and you had to rebuy all your music on cd??

well the same thing is going to happen to ebooks...they will come out with new technology and you will wind up having to rebuy the same books over and over. A real book, once you buy it, never becomes obsolete.

injest

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 10:29:54 am »
But would you really still want to be listening to 8-tracks??

maybe you are asking the wrong person...I still HAVE some 8 tracks....*blush*

look I live in the country...we don't throw away something that still works...

injest

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 10:30:34 am »
and dang, Dolly sounds great on those ol tapes!