Author Topic: Gastric bands  (Read 5260 times)

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Gastric bands
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 06:06:59 pm »
I am sorry!! I went back and looked and I missed this post!

you are right on the mark I think, Leigh Ann....

sorry jess if that sounded 'snarky'.  no need to apologize....i meant that i fully agree with you, and i also agree that there is way way way too many circumstances behind obesity that we could never simplify, or place a 'blanket solution'.  everyone is different, and i feel horrible that so many people have deeply rooted issues that are mainfested through bodily harm or mistreatment in anyway. 
yes, it is a health concern........just as smoking, alcoholism, drugs, self mutilation, and many other things.  i think a lot of these people are hurting.
yes, some simply overeat due to lack of discipline.  some have thyroid problems......some just start slowly gaining weight......some cannot do enough physical activity due to medical restrictions.........and the reasons go on and on and on.
it's not an easy problem and many times there is not an easy solution.  the reasons are so vast.

however, i will say again, back to the question about gastric bands........i worry for the outcome and possible health risks that could occur afterwards.....and i hope doctor's who perform such surgeries are taking the necessary steps and being thorough in deciding who is eligable, and stable enough for the procedure.

injest

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 06:36:29 pm »
(it is a good thing to remember though that the computer doesn't always take you back to the last post you have read..I have noticed that happens quite a bit!)

Anyway, I have an aunt that had a gastric bypass...lost a lot of weight but she didnt' look healthy or happy...and I have noticed that with a lot of people that have had it. If you dont' learn to eat correctly but just keep eating the same way (just smaller portions) I think it wears on you..

sad though...she went thru all that and now she is in the hospital dying from some unknown reason, such a waste (the doctors don't know why she is dying, she is on life support and they have her in quarantine)

injest

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 07:26:43 pm »
well some good news! My aunt is off life support and talking...

one thing though I had not thought of (and Apparently neither had her doctors)...they instructed her to eat 2000 calories a day...well she CAN"T...her stomach won't accept that much food. The nurses didn't know she had a gastric bypass and said "Oh! No wonder the feeding tube kept getting backed up..."

OY!

so recovery time from sickness is going to be harder for people with gastric surgeries..