Author Topic: Collections - What do you collect?  (Read 133856 times)

susiebk

Collections - What do you collect?
« on: March 28, 2008, 04:18:10 pm »

Most of us have collections of this or that.  Collections often grow out of our interests, remind us of our travels, or are items we just enjoying looking at.  What do you collect?

Here are a few of my favorite things:

Rocks and fossils - 2 of my favorite items are a megalodon tooth and a meteorite.

Dragons - I love a lot of these, but my most recent favorite is the lava dragon I brought home from the Italian island of Lipari.

U2 memorabilia - It is hard to select a favorite, but probably Bono's signed guitar, a holiday gift from my husband a while back.

Russian nesting dolls - The little ladies are all wonderful, but soldiers and sultans are among my more unique ones.

Refrigerator magnets - I try to bring one back from everywhere I go.  They are lightweight and portable.

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Collections - What do you collect?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:39:26 pm »
I love dragons too! I have a dragon tattoo. 

I don't really collect anything anymore but I used to have a nice coin collection. Took me about 20 years to amass. It was stolen last year by my brother. I don't have the heart to start a new one over again.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:45:36 pm »
I had a hug collection of rocks with fossils!!

Sure miss them now!

Does your meteorite have a fossil in it?

Per chance?

Hugs!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 11:03:11 pm »
I collect Hummels. I only have about a dozen of them, but I think they are beautiful. I try to buy a new one each year as a birthday or Christmas present to myself.

I also collect toy cars. I used to collect model trains. I had about 20 different trains and a very large train layout (3 ping pong tables wide) with mountains, a lake three small towns and a couple of farms with animals and a small forest. The trains would wind through the mountains (built up against the back wall) and through the tunnels, and they were programmed to stop briefly at each town train station. The buildings all lit up and I loved running the trains in the dark. I could run 4 separate trains at once and I even had, and still do have the Autotrain which was popular in the 1970's and 80's. The Auto Train is the only model I still own. I sold the rest of my trains and scenery years ago.

I used to collect beer cans back in the 1970s. I still have a few of those too. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:12:23 pm »
Most of us have collections of this or that.  Collections often grow out of our interests, remind us of our travels, or are items we just enjoying looking at.  What do you collect?

Here are a few of my favorite things:

Rocks and fossils - 2 of my favorite items are a megalodon tooth and a meteorite.

Dragons - I love a lot of these, but my most recent favorite is the lava dragon I brought home from the Italian island of Lipari.

U2 memorabilia - It is hard to select a favorite, but probably Bono's signed guitar, a holiday gift from my husband a while back.

Russian nesting dolls - The little ladies are all wonderful, but soldiers and sultans are among my more unique ones.

Refrigerator magnets - I try to bring one back from everywhere I go.  They are lightweight and portable.

I used to collect wizard figurines, Susie. Nearly every one of them had a crystal up at the top of their staffs. Many times it was purple, but a few had a pink, green, blue or clear one. :D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 12:06:57 am »
I collect books by Edward Gorey.  I have quite a number of them now and I have two that are autographed (The Doubtful Guest and The Willowdale Handcar).  I like to try to find rare editions, etc. when possible. My parents own an original drawing, which I covet.  I'm more of a Gorey buff than they are, but they still like him well enough to have bought that drawing.  Back when my parents lived in Connecticut and in the times when I've interned in NYC, long ago, I also used to visit the Gotham Book Store in NYC on occasion to check out what they had in terms of collectibles.  My collecting of these things has fallen off a bit lately.  But, it's something I'd like to get back to eventually.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 09:30:06 am »
I collect coffee mugs from places I've visited.  I just started doing this about four years ago, so it's not a massive collection... yet.  When we serve coffee or hot chocolate everyone gets a different mug, which makes for interesting conversation.

I also "collect" Patricia Locke jewelry.  I love her designs!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 01:34:52 pm »
Oh, very nice!  Do you still have them?  My dragon plates also have wizards and crystals on them, and some of my larger dragons sit atop crystals.  My favorite dragons are my retired white Windstone dragon family.

I still have them, yes. They are packed away in boxes. I should get them back out sometime. A few of the wizards have a dragon next to them too! :)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 05:08:59 pm »
I think mine must be the most boring of all.I collect those slippers you get from hotels!!!!! They just remind me of all the fabulous places I have been lucky enough to visit.I also collect Halcyon Days little enamel pill boxes.
When I was younger I used to collect old bottles,the sort with the marble in the top.And also old pharmacy bottles,however I sold them some time ago.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 05:45:59 pm »
historical maps, historical flags, limited edition etchings and lithographs, some oil paintings, collectable first editions or historic books, historic signatures,
film stills, original movie posters and lobby cards, and antique furniture and furnishings. and of course lots of dust.