Author Topic: TOTW 11/08: Let's talk about postcards  (Read 6443 times)

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
Re: TOTW 11/08: Let's talk about postcards
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 02:44:09 pm »
But I must concrete that when I say that postcards had led to a mistake,I meant that they're a kind of communication very exiguous; proper,I repite,for someone like Ennis,not very verbal,but that exiguity can easily led to misunderstandings as in this case.I suppose that was,however,a proper way if they didn't want to spend too much time reading or,even,if they wanted to maintain the secret and intimacy-of course,much better than with phone calls or,even,when a letter,too long sometimes...

Yep, I understand what you're saying - at least the logical part of me does - it's just the other bit that wonders "what if?"

*sigh*  :(

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: TOTW 11/08: Let's talk about postcards
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 04:24:39 pm »
Well, here are a few thoughts.
First, back then and possibly even still in rural America, you didn't have to know an address.
You could just put a name and the town and the correspondence would be delivered.
Second. My explanation for the envelope is not so much that is what Jack sent to him. I feel like Ennis probably scribbled the address on somthing else. He didn't want to draw attention from Alma as to how excited he was. Also as paranoid as he was he probably didn't want to run the risk of anyone seeing the postcard from Jack. No one woul dhave thought anything of it. However, I'm sure he was thinking everyone would be able to know from that.
Just my thoughts. No proof as to the envelope thing. It's just that I was Ennis for many years and I have a good idea of  what his thought process might be!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"