Author Topic: the roles of children  (Read 6973 times)

injest

Re: the roles of children
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 09:38:26 pm »
i don't think i said that children don't have rights, i was trying to say that they are blasting people with their rights, and in turn, disrespect authority because they think they can get away with anything.  i don't abuse my children, and my kids never threatened to phone any such number.
i was also referring to my husband's line of work, in which he has seen, more than not, the absolute lack of dicipline from parents.  also, he gets phone calls of kids all the time claiming they're abused because they're stepdad 'grounded' them.  yes, of course there are millions of cases of abuse.  i don't think i said anything that would suggest that i approve or condone such behavior.  children do have rights, just as everyone, but there are also cases when  kids misuse those rights to override any form of dicipline; thus failiing to respect people, abide authority, abide the law, and obey one's parents.
 yes, power can also be abused, i know, but i was talking about children in normal or safe conditions, in which they manipulate their 'rights'. i also said, i wasn't trying to promote corpral punishment here, but rather point out how different it is today when it comes to 'legal' dicipline, not blatant abuse.

i agree with what you say fiona.  thanks for your input.
yes, teachers have their hands tied when it comes to dicipline too.  again, i'm not talking about bringing back the wooden stick, but they are treated like crap these days , threatened, falsley accused, abused, etc.....and the teacher's rarely have an effect on kids anymore. many parents don't even care if their kids are suspended now.  happens all the time.  kids get suspended, parents complain to the school board, kid is back in school like he didn't miss a beat. 
also, with parents being their kid's 'best friend' instead of a parent, here's something that happened last year.  a mom rented a bus for her kid's graduation, and had all his friends aboard drinking. the party moved to her/and her son's house where the drinking continued.  well, parents of the other kids were outraged when their teens came home completely wrecked, and sent the cops after this woman for providing minors with alcohol.  she fought the case, went to the news, and there was a huge public outcry that this woman did nothing wrong since it was at her house, under her supervision....which "was better then letting kids drink out in the streets".  my husband sees this all the time.  there is some 'party pits' way out in the middle of nowhere and crowds of kids sworm up there droves.  like 200 kids or more at these parties. anyways, the last time there was a party there, the kids set a huge fire, and the fire department came.  when they showed up, the crowd attacked the firetruck with rocks, bats, and huge sticks.  they broke all the windows, and eventually managed to overturn it onto it's side.  they attacked two firemen. now, if there is a party, police protocol is to block exits so they can arrest and charge people leaving the party.  they are not to go in to the scene of the party because it's too dangerous for them in numbers.  my husband caught two sets of parents on their way out after dropping their kid off.  he read them the riot act like you wouldn't believe, but to no avail.

ok, maybe you should have named this thread  "The Roles of PARENTS"

what is the recurring theme here? You are griping about the kids run amuck but those kids did not spring fully formed as teenagers from turnips!! they are products of their parents...That doesn't excuse their behaviour but it is a reason...and the parents need as much scorn and derision cast on them as these kids. If not more.

injest

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 09:42:14 pm »
Forsythia I am so in agreement with you.The very thing your husband experienced is what my oldest son did.Called 911 because my husband was grounding him,for smashing yet another computer.Fortunately as said the Police took our side,even saying they would have grounded him for longer.
Let me cite another example of kids freedom gone mad.My ex as mentioned teaches psychology to 16-18 year olds.A couple of weeks ago he was telling me about a kid who is constantly suspended.On this occasion he was in school and decided to throw a chair at my ex!!!!! in class !!!!!!!!
My ex was so incensed he picked up an apple from his desk and threw it at the kid.It missed him,but the mother lodged a complaint.My ex was disciplined,and formally reprimanded for it.
He has a large lump on his head where the chair caught him,what happened to the kid,nothing.The school wanted to suspend him again,but mother did not wants him at home.It interfered with her life too much.So school agreed to keep him.
The world has gone mad,completely and utterly bonkers.I used to see kids when I was an Optometrist,I was appalled when they could not read or even know their letters at 12.
I gave up mentioning to parents who just did not give a damn.They would just say Oh he's always been a bit slow.A bit slow,he's one step short of retarded!!!!!! But when parents do not care,what hope.The kids leave school with nothing and go to join their parents on benefits,Why work when the government will pay us to do nothing.
I just gave up in the end.Nothing would ever surprise me with some kids anymore.No discipline,no respect,don't care can do what I want attitude.Parents who do not care either.It used to make my blood boil. Then I just stopped caring.The only time I interfered was when the little brats were trying to destroy my equipment.I would give the mum some time to reprimand the kid.When invariably they did not,I just used to say,now I am sure mum does not want to pay $4000 for a new whatever.That normally worked.!!!!!
Sorry I am off on one of my biggest gripes with the world today,kids and parents who refuse to discipline,then stand back amazed when little Mary or Johnny is down an alley somewhere on crack and 6 months pregnant!!!!!!!! well Mary anyway.
You should have to pass some sort of fit for purpose exam before you are allowed to breed.And I am not sure if I am joking either.

again, it is easier to blame the kids than blame the parents? Where is a child supposed to learn discipline and respect of mom and dad dont' bother??

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 10:22:11 pm »
here is a video of a very funny canadian comedian talking about how different cultures deal with their kids.  *(please note that he does make a comical reference about 'beatiing kids' , but it is meant as a joke, and not to be taken seriously, so please know that i am not condoning real abuse,  nor do i think this comedian is either)*
having said that, this video is very funny.

Thankyou so much for that.Have not laughed so much in ages.Just spent the last 40 mins watching all the clips of him.Lved the british jokes one and Gods practical joke.I had forgotten how good it is  to laugh and also how much I miss observational humour.You made my night.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 10:36:37 pm »
again, it is easier to blame the kids than blame the parents? Where is a child supposed to learn discipline and respect of mom and dad dont' bother??

I do blame the parents as well.If you read you will see that I said, if the parents do not care,what hope.It is a vicious cycle.Parents don't care which is why the kids then follow suit.If a parent will not take responsibility,you end up with a hope less situation.This is then compounded by the fact that no other adults,eg teachers are permitted to discipline the child.So one set of role models, ie parents are anything but, and the role models who could instill some form of discipline,in the absence of any parental involvement are not allowed.
I saw that over and over when I was working,hence the comment about waiting for the parent to reprimand the child,before finally stepping in myself.As I said ,if the parents dont care,what hope. I even mentioned how sick I was of parents who refuse to discipline.What I meant by that is that of course the parents are just as much culpable if not more so than the kids.

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 10:54:32 pm »

ok, maybe you should have named this thread  "The Roles of PARENTS"

what is the recurring theme here? You are griping about the kids run amuck but those kids did not spring fully formed as teenagers from turnips!! they are products of their parents...That doesn't excuse their behaviour but it is a reason...and the parents need as much scorn and derision cast on them as these kids. If not more.

i don't think we're in disagreement here.  i think i stated that these parents aren't doing their job, (with examples), and inturn, kids are running rampant.  i think they abuse their rights, and roles, and it probably does come from parental origins. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 01:15:56 pm »
...back in England,recently told me that there is now a whole generation of kids who are literally feral.They roam the streets like packs of wolves,afraid of nothing.
He cannot discipline any of the kids he teaches,all he can do is suspend them,to go back to roaming the streets again!!!!! He really believes that society is on the verge of collapse.

Sounds like "A Clockwork Orange" is coming true!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 10:35:18 pm »
Pray that all kids will be safe!

And that they will respect all humans too!!

Au revoir,
hugs!