Author Topic: TOTW 12/08: What's your take on the detailed nature descriptions in the SS?  (Read 14323 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
One part I haven't made much sense of yet is the listing of all the mountain ranges they went to over the years. Of course it's striking that they were all over the place - but never returned to Brokeback. The garden Eden metaphor we discussed several times before. Once you're thrown out, you can never return. Hey, even the movie trailer says so "There are places we can't return".

But to make this point, it would have been enough if Proulx had listed three or four mountain ranges, adding .."and many others" (something along that lines). But she doesn't. Instead she lists no less than seventeen (!*) different mountain ranges.
Any thoughts on this?

I don't have the book with me (and have it tucked away someplace - that's why I haven't participated in this thread yet). But it's a pretty extensive list of the mountain ranges in Wyoming. I think that one reason the list is so long is to make Brokeback's omission seem all the more significant. They went everywhere else... but they couldn't go back.

(I wanted to comment on the various rock metaphors - somber malachite, flinty wind, and so forth. But I need to find my book first.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
sometimes "you can never go home"

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
But to make this point, it would have been enough if Proulx had listed three or four mountain ranges, adding .."and many others" (something along that lines). But she doesn't. Instead she lists no less than seventeen (!*) different mountain ranges.
Any thoughts on this?

*There's that number again; we discussed the 17 before, but mostly movie related. Could it be another example of the Lee/Proulx/Ossana/Murtry synergy?

Sorry, I think I've missed something. What's the significance of 17?

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.

Ang is trying to tell everybody not to forget my birthday, LOL!! Actually, in addition to the 17 mountain ranges listed in the story where Ennis and Jack went over the two decades of their relationship, 17 is also the street address of Ennis' trailer at the end of the movie. We know because there was a close-up of him putting the numbers on his mailbox.

We have all been scratching our heads to try to figure out why 17?? Lee may be a devotee of numerology, but we doubt if Proulx is.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Dal

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Ang is trying to tell everybody not to forget my birthday, LOL!!
D'OH!!  It's my birthday today -- and I was really busy at work, forgot all about it til I read this!  And Im supposed to be going out.  Thanks Front Ranger!r

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS

also Ennis puts the number "17" on his mail box outside his little trailer house.

the number "17" is made up of two digits : the number one and the number seven, if you add 1+ 7 together, they equal "8".

why is the number "8" important? It was important to Jack, and Ennis had to remember this. Jack wanted to be successful at rodeo, and in order to have a successful ride on a bull you must stay on the bull for 8 seconds. The usage of the term "8 seconds"  is very important cowboy lore and country and western music. It is metaphorical for success and achievement. When Ennis puts the "17" on his mail box, he then steps back and looks at it. I think that he saw the composite as adding up to 8 and was amused.

for what its worth   :)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
also Ennis puts the number "17" on his mail box outside his little trailer house.

the number "17" is made up of two digits : the number one and the number seven, if you add 1+ 7 together, they equal "8".

why is the number "8" important? It was important to Jack, and Ennis had to remember this. Jack wanted to be successful at rodeo, and in order to have a successful ride on a bull you must stay on the bull for 8 seconds. The usage of the term "8 seconds"  is very important cowboy lore and country and western music. It is metaphorical for success and achievement. When Ennis puts the "17" on his mail box, he then steps back and looks at it. I think that he saw the composite as adding up to 8 and was amused.

for what its worth   :)

That is fascinting I never knew that.Ennis does stand back and look at the numbers.I always figured there had to be some significance after all sticking numbers on a mailbox is harly a work of art.Now maybe you ave come up with a reason why.I just love the Jack and rodeo idea.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
That is fascinting I never knew that.Ennis does stand back and look at the numbers.I always figured there had to be some significance after all sticking numbers on a mailbox is harly a work of art.Now maybe you ave come up with a reason why.I just love the Jack and rodeo idea.

when you watch the film again, look for references to 8 seconds. I was doing a mental inventory of some of my fav CW hits, and I counted 10 mentions of "8" seconds in various hits by various artists.  :)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
I noticed two mentionings of the number 8 when looking at the film.

1) Ennis speaking to Jack at the campsite about him not "seeing the purpose in riding a piece of stock for 8 seconds".

2) Jack mentioning to Ennis in 1967 that his son is 8 months old

I also noticed that if you add up Generation # 2 ( Ennis and Jacks contemporaries), there are 8 of them

Ennis, Jack, Alma, Lureen, LaShawn, Randall, Monroe, and Cassey.

Interestingly, adding up Generation #1 ( the parents of Generation #2 who have speaking roles in the film), there are 4 of them

OMT, Mrs Twist, LD, and Mrs Newsome

for what its worth,  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
D'OH!!  It's my birthday today -- and I was really busy at work, forgot all about it til I read this!  And Im supposed to be going out.  Thanks Front Ranger!r

When you are so busy at work you forget it's your birthday, then you are too busy. Either that, or you have a fascinating job!

Good points about the Number Eight, oilgun. Eight is also very important (and means prosperity) in Asian cultures, like the Chinese/Taiwanese culture of Ang Lee.
"chewing gum and duct tape"