Author Topic: Texas Polygamy Sect  (Read 25585 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Texas Polygamy Sect
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2008, 11:08:24 am »
I hear this morning that one of the girls has given birth. The state officials say she is 17. The cult men insist she is 18.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2008, 03:54:49 pm »

Sect's boys may have been abused too, agency says
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/30/polygamist.abuse/index.html

CNN) -- At least 41 children taken from a polygamist sect's Texas ranch may have had past broken bones, officials say, and investigators are looking into the possible sexual abuse of some of the sect's young boys.

1 of 2 "The investigation is still in its early phases, but we have gathered additional information that is cause for concern," the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services said in a statement on its Web site.

The statement said the department is looking into the possibility that some of the young boys taken from the Yearning for Zion Ranch near Eldorado, Texas, had been sexually abused based on interviews with the children and journal entries found at the ranch.

The department did not provide additional information.

The statement did not provide details about the 41 children investigators believe may have had broken bones, saying it does "not have X-rays or complete medical information on many children so it is too early to draw any conclusions based on this information."

"But it is cause for concern and something we'll continue to examine," it said.

The department said it presented its findings to the Texas Senate Health and Human Services Committee on Wednesday.

Texas authorities and child welfare officials raided the ranch earlier this month after receiving calls alleging physical and sexual abuse of girls at the compound.

The state currently has custody of the more than 460 children and youths who were removed from the ranch, which is owned by the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a Mormon offshoot that practices polygamy.

On Tuesday, a teenage girl from the ranch gave birth to a healthy boy, said Marleigh Meisner, a spokeswoman for the protective services department.

At the time of the raid, state officials said teenage girls were routinely forced into underage marriages and sex with men who were much older.

Texas law puts the general age of consent at 17. Marriage is permitted at 16 with permission from a parent, according to The Associated Press.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2008, 01:14:59 pm »
FLDS Prophet's Nephew Testifies Against Polygamists
Former Sect Member Speaks Out Against Sexual Abuse Inside Compound

http://a.abcnews.com/GMA/story?id=4679825&page=1

Offline Artiste

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2008, 01:20:07 pm »
May all those young mothers and others have a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY !!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2008, 01:22:08 pm »
May all those young mothers and others have a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY !!

For what it's worth . . .  :-\

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2008, 03:44:29 pm »
I think there is no one who violently demands protection of children and other victims from crimes such as being accused here.

But, i am very concerned the actions of the Texas Rangers style assault team of CPS zealots has stretched far their authority and sorely abused the rights of many in this compound. It is llooking to me like an anti-church thing, at least in part.

With only an anonymous call (and the caller STILL not having come forth) and months of "undercover" work with only sketchy info, the charges remain largely without evidence substantial enough to support a 'real' case. The rounding up of the children and stealing them away from parents makes Guantanamo look like a cake walk. Yes, kidnapping kids and separating them from parents is torture. Nowhere in our legal justice system is it considered due process to encircle and arrest an entire population for suspected illegal behavior or one or a few. I feel like I'm watching nazis marching down the streets of San Angelo TX but not with swastikas and umpa bands, but with CPS badges.

Over a month later, THANKFULLY a Texas court has seen this correctly, imo.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2008, 06:28:56 pm »
It remains a difficult case which can change the laws in Texas, and maybe elsewhere in the USA ??

Now muslims who have legally at least 4 wives in their countries, could enter the USA, and still have 4 wives same time or even more ??

Au revoir,
hugs!