Author Topic: Just thought I'd make you all JEALOUS  (Read 3389 times)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Just thought I'd make you all JEALOUS
« on: May 21, 2006, 06:02:26 am »
I just watched BBM again at the THEATRE last night! A smallish arty cinema was showing it for 2 days, and although I have the dvd, my TV screen is nowhere near as big as the silver screen of course.

So this was my 9th in all, and I again noticed one thing that hadn't registered the other times: the name of Pierre Tremblay (had never seen it before), and the fact that the boy who plays Bobby at 10 is called Jake.

More to the point: at Ennis and Jack's last but one meeting out in the wild, where they argue by the river about "do you ever get the feeling, when you're in town...", you can see a small lamp shining inside the fancy tent. The light is probably symbolic of the love they still have for each other. And this tent is the nearest they ever came to having a home of their own, so it could look all "homey" and settled (if only for a few days). But at the same time, this lamp gives out artificial light; meaning, I take it, that this relationship is not the real thing, nothing like the "sweet life" Jack had dreamt of.
It is also in sharp contrast with the open fires they used to have up on Brokeback (and after 4 years), in the open air. It could be that after all the years of their "difficult and separate lives",  the fire has gone out of the once passionate love they had for each other (as much as I hate to admit it). There is only a small, artificial light you barely notice.

Also, since viewing n#8, I have been feeling much more for Alma. Horrible me, I used to simply wish her out of the way. Now I really feel her pain, and at the same time really acknowledge Michelle Williams's incredible acting.

I am convinced that 9 viewings is far from enough to encompass everything this masterpiece has to offer.

Anyone else changing their perception of some of the characters as you keep watching?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 05:27:05 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Just thought I'd make you all JEALOUS
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 01:07:24 pm »
Very insightful comments, Isabelle. Thank you for sharing them, especially about the lantern.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 05:19:47 pm »
Wow...great post....thanks for sharing!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 05:29:12 pm »
Thanks both.
Chris, you are always so balanced and positive in your posts... How d'you do it ?
Not that you are raving and negative front-ranger, of course not!  ::)
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 02:15:45 am »
More to the point: at Ennis and Jack's last but one meeting out in the wild, where they argue by the river about "do you ever get the feeling, when you're in town...", you can see a small lamp shining inside the fancy tent. The light is probably symbolic of the love they still have for each other. And this tent is the nearest they ever came to having a home of their own, so it could look all "homey" and settled (if only for a few days). But at the same time, this lamp gives out artificial light; meaning, I take it, that this relationship is not the real thing, nothing like the "sweet life" Jack had dreamt of.
It is also in sharp contrast with the open fires they used to have up on Brokeback (and after 4 years), in the open air. It could be that after all the years of their "difficult and separate lives",  the fire has gone out of the once passionate love they had for each other (as much as I hate to admit it). There is only a small, artificial light you barely notice.

Wow, Isabelle, what an interesting (and sad!) observation. I hate to think that the fire has gone out of their passion. I'm hoping it has more to do with their hopes for a sweet life -- not that that wouldn't be sad, too, but at least we're already reconciled to that. Anyway, whenever there's a contrast between natural and artificial in this movie, I think it's significant (such as natural water=Jack, tap water=Alma). Let's see if we can spot some other examples!

As for Alma, I'm afraid I've gone in the opposite direction. Every time I see the movie, I wish her out of the way a little more. (No reflection on Michelle Williams, whose acting is indeed awesome.)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 04:57:20 am »
As for Alma, I'm afraid I've gone in the opposite direction. Every time I see the movie, I wish her out of the way a little more.

That's interesting! I was hit so much by the passion between Jack and Ennis that I just wanted to see no woman around. Why do you think you're going the other way, Katherine?
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 08:39:48 am »
That's interesting! I was hit so much by the passion between Jack and Ennis that I just wanted to see no woman around. Why do you think you're going the other way, Katherine?

I feel the same way you do, only my feeling grows instead of abates. At first, I found Alma sweet and innocent and cute. And even though, like you, I mainly just wanted Jack and Ennis together, I could sympathize with her pain. But as time went on, I found her a bit less sweet and more of a nag. And now that I've got my sympathizin out of the way, I just want to see Jack and Ennis.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 02:46:52 pm »
I guess I am going the other way because the heart of the matter is, woman or no woman around, Ennis won't give in to Jack's dream of "some sweet life". :(
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 03:20:51 pm »
yes isabelle, I'm jealous, not because you saw the movie again in the theater (I did too saterday evening) but because you have the dvd! Seems to be impossible to find out when the dvd will be released over here in Belgium.
I've always felt very sorry for Alma. I've felt shivers down my spine everytime I watch the reunion scene where she sees them kissing. And at the same time, I'm so happy Ennis and Jack are back together. There's never one side to a story, I guess...
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 03:50:09 pm »
belbbmfan - I am in France and the dvd is not being released here till July 17th. But I got it through amazon.co.uk, and you can get it from them too!
" - I'm vegan now."