Author Topic: Blah - More Than A Week of Lousy Weather in the Northeast  (Read 3593 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Blah - More Than A Week of Lousy Weather in the Northeast
« on: May 21, 2006, 02:53:39 pm »
Every day the same thing... it feels like January around here.  For more than a week it's clouds clouds clouds all day with rain outbursts every so often (and hail - today it is 50 degrees here and it hails every 20 minutes or so).  By the early evening, we get two hours of sun and then the following day it starts all over again.  Yuck!  It's amazing how this drags your mood down big time after it's like this day after day.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Blah - More Than A Week of Lousy Weather in the Northeast
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 03:53:39 pm »
I would kill for your weather...its been 85+ degrees here for 2 weeks straight and I can't stand it....what ever happened to Spring? 

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 03:59:23 pm »
Every day the same thing... it feels like January around here.  For more than a week it's clouds clouds clouds all day with rain outbursts every so often (and hail - today it is 50 degrees here and it hails every 20 minutes or so).  By the early evening, we get two hours of sun and then the following day it starts all over again.  Yuck!  It's amazing how this drags your mood down big time after it's like this day after day.

I can so relate to that, Phillip! Why's the suicide rate is so high in Finland? It's the lack of sunshine! Why are the Germans world champions in travelling? Why do they love Spain and Italy, and Greece, etc.... so much? ? ?  ::) 

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 04:57:15 pm »
I guess that's why it seems like there are more people here in The Sunshine State all the time.  They just keep comin'...  But here's my dilemma - I'm a winter person.  Always loved the cold and hated the heat.  And here I am in the land of endless summer.  Why?  WHY?

(We really do always want what we don't have, huh?)
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 05:02:14 pm »
It was almost 100 degrees (37.7 C) over the weekend here.  With the wind blowing, kicking up dust and pollen/spores.  I was out yesterday at the Renaissance Faire and everyone was dying, sweating, sunburning and by evening my allergies had flared up and I feel so sick and achy...but the sun is shining in a clear blue sky and it's still springtime.  :(

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 05:17:49 pm »
It was almost 100 degrees (37.7 C) over the weekend here.  With the wind blowing, kicking up dust and pollen/spores.  I was out yesterday at the Renaissance Faire and everyone was dying, sweating, sunburning and by evening my allergies had flared up and I feel so sick and achy...but the sun is shining in a clear blue sky and it's still springtime.  :(

I am dreading when it gets that hot here....supposed to be in the 90s here this week....so it won't be long....

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 06:02:39 pm »
The problem with western NY weather (I'm in Rochester) in the winter is that we can get months where we see the sun no more than 18% of the time, owing to the extensive cloud cover coming off Lake Ontario (that is also what gives us the average 100+ inches of snow every winter - Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse all vie every year for the Golden Snowball Award, given to the upstate city with the most snow - Syracuse usually wins, actually.)

The weather on the north side of the lake, say in Toronto to Ottawa is totally different than the south side.  Climate-wise, the lake buffers our weather from extremes - most winters see an average low temperature here of 10 degrees (but we can get into the minus digits occasionally).

But it is DEPRESSING.  Like this past week.  I am in energy depletion mode... just feeling blah.  It's definitely a sun thing because I notice the Seasonal Affective Disorder which happens when there is insufficient sunlight.  I was contemplating getting one of those natural light lamps, but winter this past year was basically cancelled (we had an extremely warm winter), so it didn't bug me as much.

The heat just turned on... AIGH... and now it's 49, but the sun has finally come out... at 6pm.  Same pattern as every day for the last eight or so.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming