Author Topic: If Brokeback was a pizza...  (Read 4107 times)

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
If Brokeback was a pizza...
« on: May 22, 2008, 06:13:49 pm »
On Sunday night while I was away on my little trip (did I mention I've been away?  :laugh:) we ordered takeaway pizza and had a chillin' night in watching BBM. As usual the takeaway menu for pizzas was rather long, and as I've always been rather indecisive, at least over trivial things, it took me ages to decide what pizza topping to have.

In the end I settled for the "Mexicana" (kind of in honour of Jack) - pepperoni, onions, chilli, peppers, tomato & cheese - but of course being a Brokie I got to thinking, what would a Brokeback pizza have on it? Beans? (can you have beans on a pizza?) Elk maybe? Lamb? Not really traditional pizza toppings!  :laugh:

So, the challenge...I think we need to come up with a recipe for the perfect Brokeback pizza! What do y'all think? You up for it?

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: If Brokeback was a pizza...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 09:52:17 pm »
On Sunday night while I was away on my little trip (did I mention I've been away?  :laugh:) we ordered takeaway pizza and had a chillin' night in watching BBM. As usual the takeaway menu for pizzas was rather long, and as I've always been rather indecisive, at least over trivial things, it took me ages to decide what pizza topping to have.

In the end I settled for the "Mexicana" (kind of in honour of Jack) - pepperoni, onions, chilli, peppers, tomato & cheese - but of course being a Brokie I got to thinking, what would a Brokeback pizza have on it? Beans? (can you have beans on a pizza?) Elk maybe? Lamb? Not really traditional pizza toppings!  :laugh:

So, the challenge...I think we need to come up with a recipe for the perfect Brokeback pizza! What do y'all think? You up for it?

I wonder if anyone's ever tried to put elk on a pizza?  Well, I think that would be the key appropriate ingredient (thematically speaking).  It couldn't be lamb because Jack and Ennis are supposed to "guard the sheep, not eat 'em."
 ;)

Maybe if elk really seems completely implausible... perhaps round steak could be transformed into some kind of pizza topping.

I like the suggestion of bbq-style pizza made with beans too.  That actually does sound like it could be good.

Of course, the pizza would have to be washed down with whiskey and/or Budweiser beer.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 04:05:15 am »
A big company for deep-frozen pizza has a "Western-Style Pizza". And it does have beans on it (kidney beans)! ;D
They also have a Texas Pizza (no beans there, though).

I like them both! :)

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 05:37:54 am »
We could have the soup as a topping! Or may be not ... No, I'd rather stick with beans.  :laugh:
BbM, I swear

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 08:50:30 am »
How about a pizza with cherry tomatoes, refried beans, and some ground elk.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 10:15:18 am »
How about a pizza with cherry tomatoes, refried beans, and some ground elk.

That would work!  :D

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 08:41:32 pm »
Of course, the pizza would have to be washed down with whiskey and/or Budweiser beer.

Old Rose, of course!  ;D

We could have the soup as a topping! Or may be not ... No, I'd rather stick with beans.  :laugh:

While I was away, we did actually discuss whether you could have soup as a topping (another Brokie moment because earlier that day the rest of us had been out for the afternoon, leaving Rosey, who wasn't feeling very well, in the caravan. When we got back she'd left an empty tin of soup on the side in the kitchen, and we all said, why soup? We've loads of other stuff in the cupboard, but she said she couldn't face anything more than soup...of course my reply...yep, too early in the summer to be sick of beans! This of course was before we'd watched the film, and they all looked at me like I was crazy :laugh: (probably right!)

I think beans probably would work as a topping, providing you drained them well. Some of the cheaper brands of beans are often more 'juice' than beans. Refried beans would work....

Hmmmm....I feel a pizza making experiment coming on.... ;D

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 09:08:06 pm »
What about some of the fish they never caught ????  Many people in Europe like anchovies on their Pizza.O.K I know its stretching it a bit,But they are fish, albeit very small ones.You don't need many either as they are very strong,so our boys would still have plenty of time left for non fishing activities.
Un fortunately I think they are sea fish, so that could be a bit tricky!!!!!!

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 03:02:17 am »
What about some of the fish they never caught ????  Many people in Europe like anchovies on their Pizza.O.K I know its stretching it a bit,But they are fish, albeit very small ones.You don't need many either as they are very strong,so our boys would still have plenty of time left for non fishing activities.
Un fortunately I think they are sea fish, so that could be a bit tricky!!!!!!

Here in Italy the pizza with anchovies is called 'Pizza alla Napoletana', it comes with black olives and capers too. Very popular. It has always been my favourite. Yummy...!
BbM, I swear

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 12:10:51 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Ah, "non fishing activities"....you mean horse riding?  ;D ;)

I guess it could have a symbolic anchovy (plenty of time then for "non fishing activities"  ;D). I did think last night, thinking about the "Mexicana" pizza I had while I was away, that you could have a spicy Mexican twist to it. Obviously if you were going to have the Mexican element you could only have half of it though because Ennis wouldn't want any of that Mexican stuff...

Then I got to thinking that if we're going down the symbolic route, rose petals are edible ("stemming the rose")...Ok, maybe stretching it a bit too far there.  :-\