Author Topic: The imagined power of BBM ?  (Read 17654 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The imagined power of BBM ?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 11:43:05 am »
Merci optom, and merci sel !!

I agree too with Annie, and the two of you, and may I add that there are also something like things like facts like, in her story, and the BM movie, that we should NEVER forget ??

And even dwell about ??

Au revoir,
hugs!

I agree,homophobia is still rife, even in some of the most alleged civilized countries of the free western world.How sad that from 1963 to 2008 some people have not become even slightly more enlightened. That is 45 years !!!! We have managed to send men to the moon,computers have shrunk from the size  of a large room to the palm of a hand. Yet we still  have whole sectors of society, who are homophobic in the extreme,
That is only the free world  at that.When we take into consideration some of the allegedly less free, civilized countries the figures are scary.
For me though, it is the so called civilized super powers who are the most scary.We have always kbown that the countries of the east would be a much harder battle.
How can we ever hope for tolerance there, when we have large swathes of right wing America who have moved no further forward than they were in 1963, yet they class themselves as civilized and above our Eastern counterparts.
Even as a straight womwn I find it not only unacceptable but totally hypocritical.Something along the lines of people in glass houses !!!!!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 11:04:38 pm »
Merci optom !

Indeed, you say much and you know that more can be said !

At least, Annie gives us warnings and how to cope, as well as to hope for the better ??

Au revoir,
hugs ! P. S., did you see my lilacs ? The 2 colours-ones ?

Offline optom3

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 09:12:57 pm »
Merci optom !

Indeed, you say much and you know that more can be said !

At least, Annie gives us warnings and how to cope, as well as to hope for the better ??

Au revoir,
hugs ! P. S., did you see my lilacs ? The 2 colours-ones ?

Yes I did, they were beautiful. I seem to remember that white lilacs are perfumed but not the purple.Or am I remembering that wrong ????

Offline Artiste

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 06:55:00 pm »
Merci optom !

It is the French lilacs which are perfumed ! Not the Japanese ones !

Do you think that Annie gives us warnings ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2008, 07:42:00 pm »
Something else has just occurred to me about the imagined power of BBM, and I can't remember if this has already been discussed on this thread...

BBM was a time, even if only for a short time, of perfection for Jack and Ennis. Whether the enduring power of it for them over the years was real or imagined, they were there on Brokeback - they had that time together, and despite Aguirre watching them and everything else, that was *their* time, and it was real.

To us, the power of BBM is immense. Just the fact that over two years after the film's release we're all here and still discussing it speaks volumes, without even going into the full impact of Brokie-ism...

The power of BBM over us too is immense, just as it was over Jack and Ennis, but Jack and Ennis (and I guess I'd better whisper this so it doesn't upset anyone :laugh:) lived in a story, in a story world, and though the power of Brokeback over us too has a great hold - the power of the story, of the characters, the places....Brokeback itself doesn't exist. Brokenback Mountain, Wyoming, yes...but not Brokeback Mountain, Wyoming. The movie was filmed in Canada. The Brokeback we see when we think of Jack and Ennis up on the mountain isn't even in Wyoming. Even all we see of the mountain in Canada that "is" Brokeback isn't real, because various aspects of the film and scenes from it - all those hundreds of sheep, the storm scene that was filmed on a bright sunny day....Brokeback in the "real world" itself is imagined, but yet it's hold over all of us is very real.

Reality and imagination blur, but that doesn't make it's power any less, or any less real, just as whatever Brokeback meant to Jack and Ennis was real and even in the end with Jack gone and only two shirts left of that summer on Brokeback, the power was still there, very real, and imagined or not, no-one can take that power away, any more than anyone can take the power of Brokeback from us.

Bliss's philosophical thought for the night... ;D

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2008, 07:29:06 pm »
Merci Bliss !

Perfection ?

Really they had up there ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2008, 11:21:53 am »
Do you think that Ennis and Jack did have some fears when they were lovers on Brokeback Mountain, up there then ?

Offline optom3

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2008, 12:17:30 pm »
Do you think that Ennis and Jack did have some fears when they were lovers on Brokeback Mountain, up there then ?

I think it is probably the only time that neither of them had any fears. "they believed themselves invisible" We the viewer know they are being watched,but they do not.So I like to thnk they had that short period where,there was just the two of them,laughing,joking,having sex.Cocooned or so they thought safe up on Brokeback.