Author Topic: Least Favorite Food  (Read 21552 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Least Favorite Food
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2008, 02:11:38 am »
Tripe is stomach lining. I'm not sure what animal. Probably cattle or sheep. Whatever animal's stomach lining it is, it is absolutely disgusting. My Mum used to cook it with a white, parsley sauce. Before it got to that stage, however, it had to be boiled for hours. The smell was so disgusting, I used to refuse to go anywhere near the kitchen when she was cooking it. And I always refused to eat it. Double-Baaaaaaaaaaaarf!!!   >:(   :P 

The smell was disgusting? Try cooking chitlins sometime Kerry!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Now that I read your definition of tripe (I always thought it was fish) I think I may have enjoyed tripe all along! Chitlins is pig innards, more specifically pig intestines. You have to clean them thoroughly first (I boil them, rinse them off and boil them again) and it stinks like HELL!! LOL

It smells like shit.... literally! :laugh:

Mom made chitlins, and so did my grandmother. They have been a part of my family for generations. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2008, 02:40:07 am »
I like everything on your original list well enough, though I don't eat any of them that often.  My guess is you need someone to cook you some delicious tofu, and you might like it.

I like most of the things people named here, except for all the gross body parts.  I don't even think of them as food.  :P

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2008, 05:03:39 am »
I,ve never tried tofu or okra so I can,t comment on those. One thing I cannot STAND is blue cheese. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. I don,t understand how people can eat it. I tried some once and I honestly thought I was going to throw up.  Some of the pics posted on this thread are gross!!! What are they?? blurgh.
I cannot stand chicken korma; it looks like something my cats would bring up with a hairball. I HATE parsnips and swede, YUK. The thought of jelied eels makes me want to puke too, and oysters?? ewwwwwwwwww. How can anyone eat those putrid slimey things?? GROSS.  I can,t stand runny scrambled egg, it has to be cooked properly.  I can,t bear bacon rind either. I have to cut it all off, blurgh.  Wow this is an interesting thread lol.

Offline optom3

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2008, 10:34:50 am »
My husband brought home some pigs brains the other day,oh just soo gross,he ate them though.I had to go away  as I was gagging.Some of the things he has eaten on his foreign trips, OMG he has a very adventurous palate. Hehas had deep fried worms in Honk kong, camels testicles , in saudi, locusts somewhere, can't remember.The list goes on and on.
We both love black pudding which is basically sheeps blood mixed with meal and spices, placed into a skin, boiled for hours.Then sliced and fried.
Funnily enugh I was really missing it, and one of the staff wnet to Canada last year and brought some back for me.So it must be a Canadian thing as well as Scottish.

injest

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2008, 10:39:13 am »

*shudder*

this is head cheese (and actually the best looking one I have ever seen) and you dont' 'put a fork in it'; you slice it thin and eat it raw...

*Double shudder*

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2008, 12:22:15 pm »
I like everything on your original list well enough, though I don't eat any of them that often.  My guess is you need someone to cook you some delicious tofu, and you might like it.

I like most of the things people named here, except for all the gross body parts.  I don't even think of them as food.  :P

Of the items on the list tofu is actually my favorite.  I like it in salad.  And, I don't mind broccoli too much... I prefer broccolini or broccoli sprouts. 

You don't like that limburger cheese do you Amanda? My dad eats that stuff sometimes. WHOOO!!! I can't even be in the house when he eats it. It's smells terrible... like dirty feet!  :P :P  :laugh: :laugh:

I think some people are just gluttons for punishment. Why else would they eat something like that? Phfft!

I've never actually tried limburger cheese.  I would be willing to try it.  I think a strong-smelling cheese wouldn't bother me so much.  With blue cheese I just can't get over the idea that it's filled with mold.  It's almost more of a psychological aversion than anything else.  I can tolerate it in small doses, but it's never something I'd eat in big pieces.  In general I try to avoid it.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 12:42:34 am »
Of the items on the list tofu is actually my favorite.  I like it in salad.  And, I don't mind broccoli too much... I prefer broccolini or broccoli sprouts. 

I've never actually tried limburger cheese.  I would be willing to try it.  I think a strong-smelling cheese wouldn't bother me so much.  With blue cheese I just can't get over the idea that it's filled with mold.  It's almost more of a psychological aversion than anything else.  I can tolerate it in small doses, but it's never something I'd eat in big pieces.  In general I try to avoid it.

I've never been a big fan of cheese. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I realize it's actually sour milk! I don't mind it too much if it's IN or ON something, but I definately don't like eating it plain. Yuck! I don't like the taste of it.

Amanda what are brocolinis and broccoli sprouts? I LOVE broccoli, so I'd probably like it. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ZK

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 08:04:14 am »
In order of dislike Okra, B.Sprouts, Broccolli (always sounds like a disease to me) boiled cabbage (like Mum used to cook), swede and carrots mashed together (Mums cooking again!!), peas....see why I could never be a vegetarian  ;D

Being the carnivore that I am I like black pudding, liver, kidneys, sweet breads (never touch tripe nor brains though)

I have tried roast guinea pig, alligator, ostrich, snails, frogs legs, deep fried tiny crabs
On my next trip to Hong Kong I have promised myself I will try snake (preferably deep fried), and when I am in the Philippines next dried locusts   ;)

injest

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 08:08:58 am »
In order of dislike Okra, B.Sprouts, Broccolli (always sounds like a disease to me) boiled cabbage (like Mum used to cook), swede and carrots mashed together (Mums cooking again!!), peas....see why I could never be a vegetarian  ;D

Being the carnivore that I am I like black pudding, liver, kidneys, sweet breads (never touch tripe nor brains though)

I have tried roast guinea pig, alligator, ostrich, snails, frogs legs, deep fried tiny crabs
On my next trip to Hong Kong I have promised myself I will try snake (preferably deep fried), and when I am in the Philippines next dried locusts    ;)

:P :P

tell them I said you could have MY share...

;)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2008, 09:58:05 am »

On my next trip to Hong Kong I have promised myself I will try snake (preferably deep fried), and when I am in the Philippines next dried locusts   ;)

For those who don't know what black pudding is, it's congealed ox blood, mixed with flour and stuffed inside pig's intestines. It looks like a big, fat, black sausage. Mmmmmmmmmm! Yummmmmmy! NOT!!! Bletch!  :o   ;)   :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν