Author Topic: The Dark Knight: News, Reviews, your Views. "SPOILERS" welcome!  (Read 175180 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Dark Knight: News, Reviews, your Views. "SPOILERS" welcome!
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2008, 03:59:57 pm »
Don't know how long it'll be available, but, if anyone's interested, here's the first six minutes of TDK:

http://www.filmofilia.com/2007/12/16/dark-knight-trailer-first-six-minutes/

(I finally figured out where Heath came in.  LOL)

Thanks Fran!

I just watched it twice with the sound completely off (in the room with my 5 yo), and I think it helped me see Heath/Ennis.  As he jumps up in the school bus, there's a "Gotta go" molecule or two. 

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2008, 10:27:23 pm »
I just watched it twice with the sound completely off (in the room with my 5 yo), and I think it helped me see Heath/Ennis.  As he jumps up in the school bus, there's a "Gotta go" molecule or two. 

Bingo!  I thought the same thing.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2008, 12:08:17 pm »
Definitely an element of pathos, I agree.  He's essentially very lonely.  Along the psychosis and appetite for destruction, there seems to be this desire to impress and engage people.  To connect.  When the one gangster in the meeting calls him crazy or something, you expect him to be like, "big deal"!  Instead he says, "no, I'm not" — softly, but with some emotional intensity.

And of course, you have to wonder what trauma and isolation led to him becoming what he was.  Ledger gives us tiny peeks at that isolation underneath the repulsive exterior.

I was going to say the same thing - there are two or three different times he's called "a freak" and he defiantly, but quietly says "No, I'm not.  I'm not..."  If he were a true sociopath and misanthrope, he'd have laughed at that or not even batted an eyelash.  But there is definitely an element of wanting to be appreciated for exactly what he is.  And he's not.  And that is the loneliest thing there is.

(I noticed, that he also killed all the people who called him that.)
No more beans!

Offline optom3

« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2008, 02:47:26 pm »
I was going to say the same thing - there are two or three different times he's called "a freak" and he defiantly, but quietly says "No, I'm not.  I'm not..."  If he were a true sociopath and misanthrope, he'd have laughed at that or not even batted an eyelash.  But there is definitely an element of wanting to be appreciated for exactly what he is.  And he's not.  And that is the loneliest thing there is.

(I noticed, that he also killed all the people who called him that.)

I need to go and see it again. I knew that in parts of the movie I was feeling pity for the joker, I just did not know why.I even thought at one stage maybe I had crossed a line and was feeling pity for myself re Heath and Jan.
The explanation you give, explains the pathos I felt, and underlines again, what an incredible talent we have lost.To have the audience feel some degree of emapthy for a psychopath,well that is beyond incredible.I have simply run out of superlatives. Perhaps the O.E.D.  can come up with a new one.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2008, 03:00:13 pm »
I wholeheartedly agree, Optom - you should go see it again, and we have lost an indescribably great talent.

I remember describing what I once thought was the greatest acting ever committed to film (before I saw "Brokeback Mountain" and this movie) - Ralph Fiennes' Amon Goethe in "Schindler's List" - as being someone who took a horror of a human being and made me feel sorry for him.  I said "Now, THAT'S acting."

Actually, THIS is.

No more beans!

Offline optom3

« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2008, 07:28:32 pm »
I wholeheartedly agree, Optom - you should go see it again, and we have lost an indescribably great talent.

I remember describing what I once thought was the greatest acting ever committed to film (before I saw "Brokeback Mountain" and this movie) - Ralph Fiennes' Amon Goethe in "Schindler's List" - as being someone who took a horror of a human being and made me feel sorry for him.  I said "Now, THAT'S acting."

Actually, THIS is.

That's a really good comparison.
 Where I think Heath cranked it up another notch, was I actually wanted to give him a hug. Not as Heath, but as a tormented being.
As with BBM I wanted to know more about him, to delve right into his inner core and discover the root cause, of the end result. The only thing I can liken it to, is my older son.I have watched him say and do terrible things, because of his illness, but as soon as the initial anger passes, I continue right on loving him and wanting to fix him and make things right.
Heaths' portrayal of the joker made me feel a little like that.He has completely captured every nuance of a very damaged human.So while we sit and watch in disbelief at the carnage he causes, we still see the very slightest essence, of what once was.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2008, 09:28:47 pm »
 :o  Holy holy crap, Fiona.  What beautiful words about your son.  I am shocked to pieces, based on your latest words about him recently, but I am thrilled to pieces to see what you just said here.  Wowsa...   :o
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2008, 10:17:07 pm »
Very insightful, Fiona. What a mother you are. I'm starting to think of you as the Madonna!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline optom3

« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2008, 11:48:57 pm »
Mandy and Front-Ranger,
Such truly kind and hert felt words, thankyou so much. I have had such a bad time with my oldest son, but over the past about 2 weeks, I have watched in ever increasing awe, as my younger son has gradually worked some sort of magic on him.I have had to bite the bullet with the really expensive 2nd set of meds.Having realised that after 3 days without them, he was horrendous.So I have dropped 2 of mine to allow him to continue.
The real magic though has been Matt. I don't know what it is about that boy, but he really does bring light into peoples lives.People of all ages gravitate towards him. Recently, he has spent all his time in between tennis with his brother, and the change is incredible.He literally walks taller, and looks lighter.I think what Matt has done, is let himself be seen as looking up to his older brother.In return the oldest has started to bask in the warmth of being seen as a role model.
I burst into tears the other day when I overheard Matt say to him, you must not smoke or do any other stuff like that again.Look how much better it has been here, since you started being nice to mom.!!! I even heard her say on the phone the other day, how nice it was to have you around, so you know dude, you seriously shouldn't blow that now.The older one said something I could not quite hear, but it must have been about me, because Matt said, she's mom she forgives everything.Who do you think wrote that letter from father Xmas, but don't let her know we know.The tears were in free flow by this stage.The oldest then said, but I did stop being frightened of spiders, and her blood pressure did go down. Matt just said why don't you ever listen, mom can always make it O.K  again.Look what she did when you had your panic attack and thought you were dying.I had to creep off at this stage, I was crying so much.
Someone once said Matt should be handed out free on prescription, and it annoys me that I can't remember who, but it is true.Watch this space because I do truly believe he will do something amazing one day, don't know what, but it will be something.
I know this is the wrong place to be posting this, but it does all really tie in with Heath.There is something about Matt, that is like Heath.People just really like him,old young, male female, straight gay. He leaves an impression.Even I can't tell you what it is.
He just weaves magic.Only a short time ago, I was just going to call it quits with my oldest, and now Matt has given me my son back.We have progressed so much that the oldest yesterday, rang my husband and said why don't we meet for a quick snack after work.He asked Matt if he wanted to come and Matt just said no, I think it would be really good for you and dad to have some time.My husband was speechless when he got the call.
I have only hesitated to post in case I jinxed it all.
But I do truly see a Heath/joker connection.Matt is like Heath, entrancing all those he meets, and my oldest is a bit like the joker, but caught at an earlier stage. He is deeply damaged by the illness, but not beyond all hope.The right person, in this case his brother, can cut through it all, to the central core which still burns brightly.
In a very surreal leap, I feel that the one person who could have "saved" the joker would have been Heath.That is why he can play the role with such consumate skill.
I now truly believe that Matt, who is the son my husband was told he would never have, was given to us, in part to help heal his sick brother.
Wherever my thoughts take me though, they still arrive back at Heath and/or BBM.My ability to reach out to so many people and get so much help and advice,stems ultimately from BBM
The sympathy that the joker engenders in me, is then in part as said before, brought on by the recognition that he once was probably a human with deep emotions and feelings, who becomes  psychopathic by circumstance not revealed to us.My son has been caught earlier, and has been given the gift of a brother who has an infinite capacity for forgiveness and the ability to see the good in pretty well everyone. He has certainly taught me some lessons recently.They even shared the same Xbox rented game and the oldest let Matt have first turn, unbelievable.
I am constantly caught off guard by the legacy of Heath, the person, the actor and BBM.If you only change one persons life for the better, you have done well.The numbers affected for the better by Heath are numerous, and will continue to grow through the legacy of his films.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2008, 02:23:56 am »
I don't know where else to post this here.

Profiles In History is auctioning off a coat worn by Heath Ledger in 'The Patriot'

The auction is July 31 and Aug 1

This item is scheduled to be auctioned on Aug 1.

26901 Agoura Rd Ste 150
Calabasas Hills, CA 91301

http://www.profilesinhistory.com/new/