Author Topic: The Dark Knight: News, Reviews, your Views. "SPOILERS" welcome!  (Read 175183 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Dark Knight: News, Reviews, your Views. "SPOILERS" welcome!
« Reply #210 on: August 03, 2008, 04:18:05 pm »
A little tangent.  An unappealing one, IMO. 

Sid Vicious in an apparently famous version of "My Way." 
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLC3uT3aCoE[/youtube]

Gary Oldman doing Sid Vicious doing "My Way," in the movie "Sid & Nancy."
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCMv5rtjbw8[/youtube]

(Gary Oldman is less unappealing.)

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #211 on: August 03, 2008, 10:58:08 pm »
Note - after reading this article, I looked up when Sid Vicious died.  2 months 2 days before Heath was born.

Heath Ledger's Joker inspired by Sid Vicious

Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker in the latest Batman film was inspired by Sid Vicious, according to his co-star Christian Bale.

By Laura Clout
Last Updated: 9:23AM BST 29 Jul 2008

Chistian Bale said: He [Ledger] modelled the part on Sid Vicious which made this punk-like character. I think it is a classic portrayal of a great villain.  Bale, who plays the protagonist in the hit movie, said Ledger, who died in January of an accidental drugs overdose, had watched video clips of the late Sex Pistols guitar player while researching the role.
The 34-year-old said: "Heath's created an anarchic Joker unlike any ever seen before.
"He modelled the part on Sid Vicious which made this punk-like character. I think it is a classic portrayal of a great villain."
The punk rocker, whose real name was John Simon Ritchie, died in New York 1979, also from a drugs overdose.
The troubled musician - renowned for his violent behaviour - was facing trial over the murder of his former girlfriend Nancy Spungen at the time of his death.
Ledger is being tipped to win an Oscar for his role in The Dark Knight.
Bale added: "Heath immersed himself in the role. I would love to see him get an award."
Before his death, Ledger said he also drew inspiration from A Clockwork Orange for the role.
"It's the most fun I've had with a character and probably will ever have…" he said.
The actor added: "It was an exhausting process. At the end of the day I couldn't move. I couldn't talk. I was absolutely wrecked."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/2468004/Heath-Ledger's-Joker-inspired-by-Sid-Vicious.html

oh Elle, do you know what is kind of weird/odd/creepy about the first line above?  did you post it that way on purpose or accident?
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #212 on: August 03, 2008, 11:07:31 pm »
A little tangent.  An unappealing one, IMO. 

Sid Vicious in an apparently famous version of "My Way." 
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLC3uT3aCoE[/youtube]

Gary Oldman doing Sid Vicious doing "My Way," in the movie "Sid & Nancy."
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCMv5rtjbw8[/youtube]

(Gary Oldman is less unappealing.)

Interesting Elle.  I do think I see some Joker mannerisms in Sid's performance (or vice versa, I suppose)...  Small world: Heath to Gary to Sid back to Heath...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #213 on: August 03, 2008, 11:09:15 pm »
oh Elle, do you know what is kind of weird/odd/creepy about the first line above?  did you post it that way on purpose or accident?

You mean me saying when Sid Vicious died?  Yeah, weird/creepy.  I've been working on a little redemption story in my mind since reading that - that the reason he became so good-hearted this time around was to transmute that yuckiness last life.  

Offline BelAir

« Reply #214 on: August 03, 2008, 11:23:21 pm »

You mean me saying when Sid Vicious died?  Yeah, weird/creepy.  I've been working on a little redemption story in my mind since reading that - that the reason he became so good-hearted this time around was to transmute that yuckiness last life.  

no, I meant the 2 - 2 ...

you said 2 days 2 months; Heath died on the 22nd...

I know there are only so many numbers in the English language.  I see coincidences everywhere these days.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #215 on: August 03, 2008, 11:48:20 pm »
no, I meant the 2 - 2 ...

you said 2 days 2 months; Heath died on the 22nd...

I know there are only so many numbers in the English language.  I see coincidences everywhere these days.

Well, if you figure anything out, there's a lot I'd like to understand.  :)

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #216 on: August 04, 2008, 12:08:22 am »
After seeing again yesterday, I look at it in a slightly different way than the first time I'd seen it. It's still amazing but it was more moving than usual. My mom was saying how it really lived up to its title, "The DARK Knight". It was darker than she anticipated but she still liked the movie. And I've said this at the beginning:it seems that this movie is darker than it should be.

You know, after the second viewing, I keep having these feelings that if there's going to be a third Batman movie, Robin PROBABLY won't show up. And this is just me saying but the way they had Bruce Wayne/Batman developed in this movie and sort of had a low self-esteem about himself and thinking that he's NOT the hero is just devestating. Plus, way too many people dying and some of being closer to home is just TOO MUCH in a way. :(

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #217 on: August 04, 2008, 12:49:01 pm »
OT

My younger daughter went to Six Flags Great America yesterday where she had her face painted to resemble the Joker. Afterwards, she was a bit of a mini celebrity, with people asking to have their picture with her.  Here's how it looked when she got home:

Oh, and the new Dark Knight roller-coaster was only so-so.  :(

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #218 on: August 06, 2008, 01:56:16 am »
Fran, your daughter looks, errr, well....scary! How wonderful that people wanted to take her picture. That must have been fun!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #219 on: August 06, 2008, 02:02:30 am »
Okay, after having seen lots of clips from the movie already, a few thoughts:

- Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne is a bit bland from what I've seen (haven't seen any clips where he's the batman)

- The Joker's voice is amazing

- Heath is no where to be found in the Joker. Which is a good thing. Maybe him wearing a mask (however disgusting it may be) and his ability to dissapear completely in his charactere will make it 'easier' to watch. I thought that if he'd been in a movie where he looked just like himself, it would be much much harder. We'll see I guess.

I'm still apprehensive about watching it though  :-\

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'