Author Topic: Kudos to Bravo for doing as they said with rpt. BBM !!!  (Read 67974 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: Bravo's version of BBM censored beyond belief, a joke
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 09:16:23 am »
I just got home a few minutes ago and turned on the TV and flipped through the channels. What do I find but Jack and Lureen in the backseat of the car! I had no idea it would be on Bravo tonight. I didn't want to watch the whole thing because I haven't watched in a long time and didn't want to start in the middle and deal with commercials, but I decided to at least watch till the reunion. Ennis hears the truck, gets that amazing little smile, runs out on the porch, and says "Jack FREDERICK Twist!" WHAT?! It took me right out of the moment.

I didn't know whether to laugh or scream at reading that.  "Jack Frederick Twist"? LOL....

We don't get cable stations and I'm glad of that in this case -- will never forget how outraged I was when I first watched Cabaret on TV. It had been so chopped up that if you hadn't already seen it a couple of times you literally wouldn't be able to follow it.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 09:20:01 am »
The overriding question is: Did the edits change the meaning of the story?

In view of the tent scene being almost eliminated BUT the scene with Jack and Lureen in the car being kept in, yes it did. The overall meaning was tainted with "hetero sex with bare boobies --- wooooooo doggies!  'Homo' sex of any kind -- let's keep that invisible."

Maybe it was only a slight taint; but would you voluntarily eat meat that had "just a little rotten spot" on it?   :P

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 10:08:17 am »
I just got home a few minutes ago and turned on the TV and flipped through the channels. What do I find but Jack and Lureen in the backseat of the car! I had no idea it would be on Bravo tonight. I didn't want to watch the whole thing because I haven't watched in a long time and didn't want to start in the middle and deal with commercials, but I decided to at least watch till the reunion. Ennis hears the truck, gets that amazing little smile, runs out on the porch, and says "Jack FREDERICK Twist!" WHAT?! It took me right out of the moment. I completely agree with you about censorship. I'm sure there are things that shouldn't be seen on television, but I'm pretty sure kids have all heard things much worse than "Jack fuckin Twist" in school. Optom, would that have been allowed in England? Are we that much worse in the United States than in other countries?
It was shown uncut in England.I was here by then, but I have it on very good authority.It was shown after what is called the 9.00pm watershed.So you know it may not be suitable for kids.

Offline optom3

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 10:54:18 am »
The overriding question is: Did the edits change the meaning of the story?

Milo

YES AND YES AND YES !!!!!

I  am still mad about it and I am a straight married woman.TS1 was completely cut except you heard noises while having an outside shot of the tent.TS2,  which I think is pivotal, ( is almost all cut out, !!!!!) as it shows the love and affection starting to develop between Jack and Ennis,plus the I'M  sorry and it's alright, indicate Ennis has tried and lost in his fight to go to Jack,but still gets a comforting,s'alright from him.So when te 2 leave the mountain and Ennis so  grief stricken he retches, a first time viewermust think WTF they've had one quick F--k and then he goes to his tent again,why so upset.
I am so mad I can hardly write and this is the next day!!!!!

What I HATE and is twisted and sick and oh I am boiling mad, is that it makes it look like gay men at that point in the film are just defined by sex not love,
This makes the reunion scene take on a whole new meaning, yes they do show the kiss and motel scene, but it after TS1 and 2 it just looks like more sex. It seems like they can't keep their hands off each other, which I know they cant, but minus most of TS2 it becomes just a lust thing with no love.To give you an idea, of how it was censored my wonderful son, Matt only had to close his eyes for the car scene and Alma and Ennis in bed.

I had to fill him in on lots so that he understood it was love and that was why the end was so sad.!!!!!! He is at the gifted school so he is exceptionally intelligent, but because of the editing the whole thing was lost on him.I would suspect that would be the way most first time viewers would perceive it.I would go so far as to say it verged on anti gay. How could They show the the motel scene but not most of TS2 were they deliberately trying to make it look like just sex with no love.? In my opinion, yes,Quite deliberately, because we lose next to nothing of the man woman side of things.
The famous last meet is changed in context beyond belief.Jack says I am not like you I can't get by on a couple of HA flings a year.By not saying HAF"s it makes Jack's need for more, more commitment, more completeness more love, meaningless.He wants MORE THAN SEX !!!!
I really am blazing.We get all the man/'woman tenderness so we have even more pity for them and Jack and Ennis become much less sympathetic.
Jack in particular looks much les sympathetic as we see the Mexico trip and the Randal scene.
To answer someone else's question it was shown after 9.00 so I don't see the need for all the censorship. What makes me maddest of all is that having seen the "real" thing, it is just even worse.I was shouting at the T.V.
It also underlines how important every little millisecond and word of the film was.TS2 is pivotal, and although I may have understood the genius of every word, gesture and nuance in the film.It was not until seeing a cut version that it really struck home.
I really do think it was edited in a way to show gay relationships in the worst light possible.That is wrong, in fact it is sick. My first husband is an a loving wonderful relationship of nearly 20 years.But according to Bravo that cannot possibly be so.
In fact I am so mad I am thinking of writing to the company.They would have been better not to have shown it at all.It almost seemed to me that it was being shown as an anti gay thing.
I can understand TS1 being cut, but what the F--K was the problem of TS2 except of course it shows that what was developing was more than sex.Call me cynical, but that seems pretty anti gay to me.
As you can tell I am really mad about it all.

Offline optom3

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 11:04:43 am »
I do NOT find it funny that this movie was censored, but do wonder why a TV network in the USA did not censor a film which is FOR muslims to show them why it is OK to kill in the USA, Canada, England...
and my head spins as we are FORCED to accept islam ?

But we can NOT have real sex !!

Oh you can have sex, but only straight. But that is not the biggest problem with the way it was censored.By mangling the intimacy and affection of TS2, having let us hear all the sex noises from TS2 it implies that gays only want sex and not love.It is a long time since I have been so mad.

injest

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 11:24:14 am »
you tell them, Fiona!!

>:( >:(

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 11:36:00 am »
BBM was shown recently on British TV, and without any censoring (though as someone said earlier, it was after the "9pm watershed", and it was on Channel 4, which is well known for openly broaching 'adult' themes).

I can (leaving aside our feelings about it being butchered) sort of accept a film being censored if it's to be shown during early evening viewing when kids might be watching on one level, but surely if programmers know a film's content's not suitable for a younger audience (and in the case of BBM it's classification kinda gives that away) why the hell put it on at that sort of time anyhow??

Sounds like in this case the fact that every other scene but the Jack/Lureen one got chopped is a very clear case of obviously biased censorship to say the least, and I'm not surprised you're mad.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline optom3

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 11:56:01 am »
you tell them, Fiona!!

>:( >:(

I am going to.For the first time in my life I am actually going to write a letter to a paper.I don't suppose they'll publish it,but I will feel better.Bunch of hypocrites.Go round carrying guns but can't show affection, not sex just plain affection between 2 men.Oooh I am STILL SOOOOO   mad !!!!

Offline ChrisC

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 12:39:16 pm »
I'm right behind you Fiona, it's a shame that this was censored so much in the US, and as you rightly mention it is sending out all the wrong messages to people who have never see it.

I'm glad it was shown in it's entirity he in the UK, it prompted me to watch the DVD, buy the AP novel, and just as importantly, sign up to Bettermost.

You go girl

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 12:51:42 pm »
I'm glad it was shown in it's entirity he in the UK, it prompted me to watch the DVD, buy the AP novel, and just as importantly, sign up to Bettermost.

Ah, Brokeback got another one good! Welcome to Bettermost!  :)

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."