Author Topic: Grand Jury Declines to Charge Horn (Houston Break in Case)  (Read 19657 times)

injest

Grand Jury Declines to Charge Horn (Houston Break in Case)
« on: July 01, 2008, 12:09:08 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7jqLie6-Y0&feature=related[/youtube]

so do you agree with the jury or do you think Horn committed a crime?

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: Grand Jury Declines to Charge Horn (Houston Break in Case)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 08:30:57 am »
Damn.  That was chilling.  I don't think he should have shot his gun. It wasn't his property and he was acting as a vigilantly.  The cop said dont shoot anybody and the guy ignored his warning.  I wouldnt want someone's blood shed over my property if they broke in unless it was one of us in here protecting ourselves.  Shit they would not have got passed my dog!
Were thes guys armed?  Did he shoot them in the back? 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 08:51:03 am »
Because I'm at work, I'm answering without playing the video and basing my response on what I read about the case in this morning's Metro newspaper, which, admittedly, wasn't much.

With those caveats, I think it was a mistake not to indict him. I'm not against people using force to defend their homes, families, and property, but this wasn't his home, family, or property.

According to the newspaper story, he actually told the 911 dispatcher that he was going to kill the alleged burglars.

Were thes guys armed?  Did he shoot them in the back? 

The paper doesn't say whether they were armed, but it does say that he shot them both in the back.

The brief story in the paper makes him sound like somebody who was just itchin' for an opportunity to shoot somebody. He should have stopped at making the 911 call, or perhaps at most firing warning shots to try to hold the burglars for the police. I think he should have been indicted and tried for something like voluntary manslaughter, if Texas has that category of a crime.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 08:53:31 am »
he did sound all blustery before he went out there....

and terrified when he came back in.

I think he was a victim of the 'I got a gun so I am all tough' syndrome...and never stopped to think how it would really feel to actually SHOOT someone. thinking about it and doing it are two really really big things...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 10:06:24 am »
Mr Horn is my hero! He took the "castle doctrine" seriously and applied it in a logical manner. The fact is the authorities can no longer protect property in most cities, this has become esp true in TX with the plague of drug crime coming in with illegal aliens and their organized gangs. Whole neighborhood associations are now forced to purchase the services of private security guards who are licensed to carry and shoot. I would be delighted to live next to Mr Horn, I would in fact provide him with all of the shot gun shells his trigger finger needs, and all the coffee he needs to stay awake and watch my property.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 07:59:38 pm »
Mr Horn is my hero! He took the "castle doctrine" seriously and applied it in a logical manner. The fact is the authorities can no longer protect property in most cities, this has become esp true in TX with the plague of drug crime coming in with illegal aliens and their organized gangs. Whole neighborhood associations are now forced to purchase the services of private security guards who are licensed to carry and shoot. I would be delighted to live next to Mr Horn, I would in fact provide him with all of the shot gun shells his trigger finger needs, and all the coffee he needs to stay awake and watch my property.

Had he been protecting his own home, I might be inclined to look more kindly on what Mr. Horn did.  But as was said, it wasn't his home, it wasn't his property, they were not threatening him in his home and he could have easily just described them to the 911 operator, the car they had, the direction they were going and the cops would have picked them up a few minutes later.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 11:21:25 pm »
Had he been protecting his own home, I might be inclined to look more kindly on what Mr. Horn did.  But as was said, it wasn't his home, it wasn't his property, they were not threatening him in his home and he could have easily just described them to the 911 operator, the car they had, the direction they were going and the cops would have picked them up a few minutes later.

and they would have been released as quickly as an "ACLU" lawyer could arrive to claim that they are victims. As it is, they won't threaten anyone again. And that is the point, if the authorities and the legal system can't protect our homes, our families, our lives, then we must do so. The chaos that is engulfing many of the cities, simply can't continue, eventually people take charge of their own destinies, they don't just cower waiting for the cops to come by and maybe fix the problem temporarily, the problem eventually gets fixed by outraged people, like Mr Horn.

Bravo Mr. Horn! I hope that the prosecutor who attempted to prosecute Mr Horn is fired!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 11:35:23 pm »
Do you think he knew they were illegals? I want my property guarded. I have dogs and I have a gun. I couldn't use a gun on someone who was running away. If someone was coming toward me -- and I'm threatened -- I can't say. Shooting in the air or toward someone -- maybe create a bluff. Burglary is not punishable by death. The Texas law allows deadly force to protect property, if I understand correctly. Does the Castle Doctrine include a neighbor's property?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 11:38:19 pm »
The guy was on the phone for quite a while before he took it into his own hands -- why did it take so long for law enforcement to be dispatched? Or is that a normal amount of time?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 11:38:54 pm »
and they would have been released as quickly as an "ACLU" lawyer could arrive to claim that they are victims. As it is, they won't threaten anyone again. And that is the point, if the authorities and the legal system can't protect our homes, our families, our lives, then we must do so. The chaos that is engulfing many of the cities, simply can't continue, eventually people take charge of their own destinies, they don't just cower waiting for the cops to come by and maybe fix the problem temporarily, the problem eventually gets fixed by outraged people, like Mr Horn.

Bravo Mr. Horn! I hope that the prosecutor who attempted to prosecute Mr Horn is fired!

Plenty of Mexican nationals are arrested for crimes every day.  And they either do prison time or they get shipped back over the border.  No, despite urban legends to the contrary, the ACLU doesn't rush in to the rescue all of them  ::)