Author Topic: The E-Book Files  (Read 169853 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The E-Book Files
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2009, 12:51:56 pm »

Wow! Snazzy inded! 8) 8) 8)
I love the designs. I guess it's adhesive labels you put on the Kindle yourself. I would already fail with putting it properly on the surface without air bubbles and correctly around the buttons; I'm not very handy with such stuff.

And I like the keyboard on K2 better than on K1. Great addition to your household Leslie!

Actually, I am usually not good at this stuff, either, but these skins, from DecalGirl, are really nice and really easy to apply. www.decalgirl.com You can get them for a zillion items -- I've skinned my 2 Kindles and iPhone. They give a bit of pizzazz.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2009, 12:53:03 pm »
I just checked ebay Germany for the Kindle. They sell the K2 for 499Euros there! That's 631$!
 :o :o

The original prize is 359$ (=283€). That's almost twice the price. And you can't even properly use it because the wireless network is ONLY available in the US.

From the pics I saw that the K2 is much more flat then the K1, only as thick as a pencil:

Damn, this IS a fine device. Not that I would buy it (yet), even if I could. Knowing myself I would rather invest the money in another trip, lol.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2009, 12:53:21 pm »
*is impressed*

Wow, nice one Leslie. Good choice of author too.  :)

Actually, I am not reading Jane Austen -- that's just a screensaver! LOL. I am deep into a WWII history book. I have an idea for a story I want to write and I am doing some research.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2009, 12:55:49 pm »

From the pics I saw that the K2 is much more flat then the K1, only as thick as a pencil:

Damn, this IS a fine device. Not that I would buy it (yet), even if I could. Knowing myself I would rather invest the money in another trip, lol.

That's it, thick as a pencil. And it hold 1500 books. It really is amazing!

Saving money for a trip is good, but having a Kindle for a trip is good, too -- to make sure you always have something handy to read.  ;)

L

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2009, 01:49:59 pm »
The new one almost looks too delicate. Like it could snap in two without much trouble. Does it feel that way, Leslie?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2009, 04:03:40 pm »
The new one almost looks too delicate. Like it could snap in two without much trouble. Does it feel that way, Leslie?

No, it's pretty sturdy. Of course, I treat both my Kindles with a fair amount of care as they are expensive electronic devices. But the new one is metal and plastic and seems pretty tough.

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2009, 12:09:10 pm »
An interesting take on book pricing:

http://www.bookbusinessmag.com/article/publisher-lets-customers-pay-what-they-want-latest-title-404414_1.html
Book Business
Publisher Lets Customers Pay What They Want for Latest Title

San Diego-based Code Publishing is allowing customers to choose the price they would like to pay for either the paperback or the electronic version of its latest book, "Everyone Agrees," by J.S.B. Morse. Customers must pay a minimum of $4.95 for the paperback; no minimum payment is required for the e-book. Both versions are available at www.Nezgo.com/ea

"We think the book is a monumental product and just want people to read it, so we lowered all the obstacles we could think of that are keeping readers from it, most notably the price," says Jenny Langley, director of marketing for the self-help and philosophy book publisher, noting that the average price readers have paid for the book is just under $9.

The "pay-what-you-choose" model is not without precedent: The rock band Radiohead released its 2007 album "In Rainbows" in a similar fashion online; and Paste, an independently published music magazine, allowed readers to name their price for subscriptions.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2009, 12:10:54 pm »
This has been Read an Ebook Week -- it ends tomorrow. But you still have 24 hours to download some great, free books that are out there. I blogged about it here and included some links:

http://www.kindleboards.com/blog/2009/03/read-an-ebook-week-march-8-14-2009/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2009, 12:11:59 pm »
This book is being made into a movie, directed by Ang Lee. The book itself is finally out in a Kindle edition. Yeah!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2009, 09:29:31 am »
A few more recommendations:

This is a sweet romance that takes place in New York after World War I. Nice characterizations and some really snappy dialog. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.

I think this book has been mentioned before...a cowboy romance with a twist:

It's a very sweet story. It's aimed at the young adult market so not as sophisticated as some of the stuff I read, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I finally finished:

Historical fiction, set in France in 1815. Great descriptions and a good mystery, with lots of twists and turns.