Author Topic: New "Brideshead Revisited" film opening 7/25/08 (spoilers)  (Read 31333 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
New "Brideshead Revisited" film opening 7/25/08 (spoilers)
« on: July 22, 2008, 12:57:04 pm »
Any Brideshead fans out there? 

The Granada TV series came out just as I was coming out, so it will always have a special place in my heart. 

I've been a little worried about the new film.  The trailer looks awful , as if it turns the complex novel into a love triangle. 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiiX9CAuMF4[/youtube]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:00:11 pm by southendmd »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: New "Brideshead Revisited" film opening 7/25/08
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 12:59:43 pm »
Here's a favorable review from Newsweek:

You Can Go Home Again

'Brideshead Revisited' was once a classic 11-part miniseries. A new film tells the tale in two hours.

By David Ansen | NEWSWEEK
Published Jul 18, 2008
From the magazine issue dated Jul 28, 2008

Anyone who fell in love with the landmark 11-part British TV series of "Brideshead Revisited" 26 years ago is likely to approach the movie version debuting next week with extreme trepidation. Not to mention all those who have fallen under the spell of Evelyn Waugh's opulent, elegiac 1945 novel. How could this rich work possibly be condensed into a film running a bit over two hours?

Director Julian Jarrold ("Becoming Jane") and screenwriters Andrew Davies and Jeremy Brock clearly knew they'd be facing comparisons—Jarrold, not wanting to be influenced by the Granada TV series, claims not to have seen the original. They argue that this literary classic, like a Shakespeare play, needs to be reinterpreted for a new generation, re-evaluated with contemporary eyes.

In fact, more than any Waugh novel, "Brideshead" lends itself to different readings: what you take away from it says as much about your own obsessions and world view as it does about Waugh's intentions. Written during the privations of World War II, the book looks back to the '20s and '30s, memorializing the last gasp of the dying aristocratic order. Waugh's stand-in is the covetous, wide-eyed, middle-class painter Charles Ryder, who falls in love with the children of the Marchmain family, Roman Catholic aristocrats who invite him into their imposing ancestral home, Brideshead Castle.

According to Waugh, who converted to Catholicism in 1930, his theme was "the operation of divine grace on a group of diverse but closely connected characters." Yet the primal "Brideshead" image to me is the one that adorned the paperback I read in college: the charming, decadent Sebastian Flyte carrying a teddy bear. For some it may be the grand estate itself and its real-life stand-in: Castle Howard, a setting so iconic in the series that the filmmakers used it again. For many who worshiped weekly at the "Brideshead" altar in 1982, the series was the apotheosis of a certain mandarin gay sensibility, even though the homosexual motifs were always unstated, and the nature of Charles's infatuation with Sebastian left ambiguous. I'd bet that many barely remember the issues of sin and sacrifice and Catholic guilt that lurk in the mystical depths of "Brideshead's" last act. For the non-Catholic reader, and for contemporary viewers, Waugh's spiritual themes don't quite take hold; it's as if he created characters too strong to fit the mold of their author's intentions. His artistry outshone his ideology.

The remarkable thing about Jarrold's movie is how much of the book it manages to capture. The focus has shifted: it's structured as a love triangle. Ryder (Matthew Goode, in the role that made Jeremy Irons a star) falls first for the dandy Sebastian (Ben Whishaw), who widens his worldly horizons, and then for his sophisticated, spiritually conflicted sister Julia (Hayley Atwell). Sebastian's sexual attraction to Charles has been made more explicit; his jealousy when he discovers (in a scene that's not in the novel) that Ryder and Julia are in love is the trauma that sends him spiraling into his alcoholic decline.

As Sebastian, the thin, dark-haired Whishaw is both the most riveting thing about the movie and the most problematic, for he has radically reinvented the character. Febrile, tightly wound and more overtly gay than the blond, debonair Anthony Andrews, Whishaw's vulnerable Sebastian seems doomed from the get-go. Jarrold's movie, rushing too fast through the halcyon days at Oxford, short-shrifts Sebastian's legendary charm.

Other omissions are painful but understandable: the extravagant, stuttering queen Anthony Blanche has been reduced to a cameo; young Cordelia barely registers; Ryder's father, played by John Gielgud on TV, has lost his best scenes. What remains, however, is formidable. Emma Thompson makes the iron-willed Lady Marchmain a figure both terrifying and sympathetic; Michael Gambon's lusty Lord Marchmain, who's abandoned his family for life in Venice with his mistress (Greta Scacchi), gets the most out of his brief appearances, and Atwell is a wonderfully sensual and sharp-edged Julia, torn between her love for Charles and her religious beliefs.

The toughest role, because it's so reactive, is Ryder himself. Because the film doesn't rely as heavily on voice-over to convey his inner thoughts, Goode faces a challenge illuminating the soul of this diffident, divided, ambitious man, whose own social and sexual aspirations even he doesn't fully understand. It's a solid, sensitive performance. He sounds remarkably like Irons, but he doesn't have Irons's quicksilver transparency, that ability to let us see the roiling feelings under Charles's formal English reserve.

Think of Jarrold's briskly paced, stylish abridgment as a fine introduction to Waugh's marvelously melancholy elegy. It brings these unforgettable characters to life again, and if it sends people back to the novel, and back to Charles Sturridge's classic TV series, all the better. There's room for more than one "Brideshead" in this far less glamorous day and age.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 01:13:02 pm »
From the Telegraph.  More ambiguity!

Brideshead Revisited 'will upset purists' with gay kiss

By Chris Hastings and Stephanie Plentl
Last Updated: 4:01pm BST 19/07/2008

The relationship between Sebastian Flyte and Charles Ryder has been the subject of intense speculation ever since the fateful day they met at Oxford University.

(Ben Whishaw as Sebastian Flyte, left, and Matthew Goode as Charles Ryder
Nicola Dove/Courtesy of Miramax Films) 

But now a new film adaptation of Evelyn Waugh’s Brideshead Revisited will out Sebastian Flyte as a homosexual and even feature a gay kiss between him and Charles.

In one controversial scene in the new £10 million film, which has its world premiere in New York on Tuesday, a love struck Sebastian attempts to kiss Charles on the mouth before his amorous advances are resisted.

The scene has been welcomed by some gay rights campaigners who have already dubbed the film “the most overtly” gay Brideshead ever.

But it is set to infuriate purists who insist that the relationship between the two friends has been distorted.

Brideshead Revisited tells the story of Charles Ryder and his infatuation with Lord Sebastian Flyte, his aristocratic family and their ancestral home, Brideshead.

The two men meet while students at Oxford and Ryder finds Flyte’s decadence and loucheness irresistible.

Although fans of the novel and the 1981 Granada television adaptation which starred Jeremy Irons and Anthony Andrews have debated the nature of the relationship between the two friends neither the book, which appeared in 1945, or the TV adaptation carry any overt references to homosexual feelings.

Andrew Davies, the Bafta winning dramatist who co-wrote the film’s script said: “I think it will probably upset the purists.

“But one thing we wanted to make clear was that Sebastian was gay and that Charles although terribly fond of him is heading in another direction sexually.

advertisement
“Waugh had a very skilful way of skating over the sordid details so we can imagine what we like about them.

“This ambivalence was probably the result of his own sexual ambivalence."

Kevin Loader, the film’s producer insisted that the tone of the new film is closer to the actual spirit of the novel than the 1981 television version which also starred Laurence Olivier, Claire Bloom and John Gielgud.

Kevin Loader, the film’s producer said: “There is a lot less lounging around in punts in our version. I think people who have only seen the television adaptation are surprised when they get around to reading the book. I think there is no doubt that Sebastian is homosexual and there is a kiss in our version.

“The producers of the television version probably wanted to include such a scene back then. But that sort of thing was a lot more controversial in 1981 than it is today.”

The film’s director, Julian Jarrold however admitted that things weren’t so clear cut in the book.

“There is a level of ambiguity in the relationship between Charles and Sebastian in the book. Sebastian needs and wants Charles but it is veiled. It isn’t an explicit gay love story and I didn’t want to make it that."

But Frederic Raphael, the Oscar winning dramatist who wrote the films Darling, Far From The Madding Crowd and Eyes Wide Shut said: “It is not a terrible scandal of course but it is odd to embellish the novel because the eroticising is implausible. But in films nowadays big things have to happen immediately or else the audience gets bored.”

The new film concentrates on the triangle of Julia, Charles and Sebastian who are played by Hayley Atwell, Ben Whishaw and Matthew Goode.

It co-stars double Oscar winner Emma Thompson as Lady Marchmain, Michael Gambon as Lord Marchmain and Greta Scacchi as his mistress.

In a further departure from the book, the character of Julia joins Charles and Sebastian on a trip to Venice. Castle Howard, who famously played Brideshead in the TV adaptation, again stars in the film.

The idea of a movie was first mooted in 2002 with a screenplay by Davies and a cast that included Jude Law, Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly. But that proposal never materialised.

Davies’s script was then rewritten by Jeremy Brock for the now completed film. Both men share a writing credit.

The film is released in the United States next week and in Britain in September.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 01:27:32 pm »
Here's a nice picture:

Accompanying article can be found here:

http://www.dandyism.net/?p=978

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 02:35:15 pm »
Any Brideshead fans out there? 

The Granada TV series came out just as I was coming out, so it will always have a special place in my heart. 

I've been a little worried about the new film.  The trailer looks awful , as if it turns the complex novel into a love triangle. 

Me! Me!

I loved, loved the tv series. I really awoke the anglofile in me. I'll definitely watch the movie too. I didn't even know a movie was in the works.

Another book I need to reread!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: New "Brideshead Revisited" film opening 7/25/08 (spoilers)
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 03:20:39 pm »
The new film? Wrongheaded and stupid; I have so much to say I'd better say nothing before I sputter and fume.

Nice touch, with the apple (see photo immediately following)--very subtle, no??

Gah!

There's a pre-review of a review in the New York Times called Revisiting ‘Brideshead Revisited,’ which is here:  http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/20/movies/20lyal.html

Here are the accompanying 'band-box' photos with The NYTimes captions:

With the film version of "Brideshead Revisited," costuming is central to the narrative. In a phone interview, Eimer Ni Mhaoldomhnaigh, the film's costume designer, spoke about some of her designs.

From left, Ben Wishaw as Sebastian Flyte, Matthew Goode as Charles Ryder and Hayley Atwell as Julia Flyte.

"The period of dress here is a classic English look," said Ms. Mhaoldomhnaigh. "The tailoring of the men's suits are quite relevant to today. For a contemporary American audience, it's very similar to Ralph Lauren, who, I'm sure, has taken a lot of influence from English tailoring. " (Hah!--The cynical JG)

"This scene is at Oxford. And it's one of the first times that Charles sees Sebastian (seated). So I wanted to portray a contrast to Charles's dark and dreary life at home with a complete release for him to do whatever he likes. Sebastian represents that freedom for him."

"Charles and Sebastian become friends and Sebastian has this beautiful sense of style. Here, you can see already that Charles is looking at Sebastian and, in a quite crude way, trying to copy what he's wearing. It doesn't look nearly as flamboyant or bohemian as Sebastian, but still, it's his attempt to become part of that whole set."

"I think that with Lady Marchmain, Emma Thompson's character, her religion was really important. But also, she was very fashionable. At that time, a lot of women went to Paris twice a year to pick out their wardrobe. So I wanted her clothes to be influenced by French fashions of the time."

"I wanted to use certain colors with her. Of course, not primary colors, but teal blues and purples. I felt like she could never look disheveled. She always had to look like 10 maids had dressed her in the morning."

"I just love this dress. And it was kind of a Eureka moment. Julia's costumes were made in Paris because her clothing also was influenced by French fashion. So I went to Paris to meet with the people were going to make the costumes. And I went to a flea market, where I found the Japanese embroidery that we put on this dress."
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 03:42:53 pm »

Evelyn Waugh (who has been spinning in his grave since the first shovel of dirt hit the coffin in 1966) has burrowed through the center of the Earth, came out in Papua New Guinea, and launched himself into outer space.

http://
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/20/movies/20lyal.html

From The New York Times

Film

Revisiting ‘Brideshead Revisited’

By SARAH LYALL
Published: July 20, 2008 LONDON

THE images from the 11-episode mini-series are still vivid, 27 years later. Louche young Oxford students in crisp linen suits (and one teddy bear) drinking endless cocktails. A spectacular country estate, dripping with treasures and crackling with religious, sexual and dynastic tensions. A delicately beautiful Jeremy Irons.

It is those lingering memories, even more than Evelyn Waugh’s novel, that anyone attempting to turn “Brideshead Revisited” into a feature film for the first time naturally has to contend with. And so as not to contaminate his approach Julian Jarrold, the director, studiously avoided the mini-series — all that elegiac emotion, spread out over 659 languorous minutes — and returned to the book.

“It exposed some of the myths I’d had about ‘Brideshead,’ ” Mr. Jarrold said of his rereading. “I’d had the memory of it being a nostalgia trip about the passing of English life and a bygone era, a glorification of aristocracy — about people wearing odd clothes and poncing around Oxford.” That was part of it, he said. But there was also a bite and a sharpness that are as relevant now as they were in 1945, when the novel was published.

“One of the reasons for the book’s popularity is, it is an archetypal type of story of this young individual from a poorer, less interesting background who is welcomed into this beautiful, magical, alluring kingdom with wonderful, magical people,” Mr. Jarrold said. “And then he begins to realize that everything is not what it seems.”

The film, which is to be released on Friday, is set in the 1920s, ’30s and ’40s and stars Matthew Goode as Charles Ryder, the unworldly student whose friendship with the aristocratic Lord Sebastian Flyte (Ben Whishaw) introduces him to a whole new world of money, class privilege, deep happiness and deep despair. Castle Howard, an estate in Yorkshire, stands in for Brideshead, home to Sebastian and his family, a symbol of a dying way of life and a character in itself.

The mini-series was written by John Mortimer and stars Anthony Andrews as the teddy-bear-carrying Sebastian. It opens and ends with Charles (Mr. Irons), now a British Army officer, unexpectedly encamped at Brideshead during World War II. He begins to replay in his mind the role Brideshead, with its dark sorrows and bewitching delights, played in his life some 20 years earlier.

In this new version the filmmakers have, of necessity, pared down the story. World War II comes up only at the end. There is less time to dwell on the seemingly endless summer when Charles and Sebastian meet and their lives gradually become entwined. Some supporting characters given prominence in the mini-series — Sebastian’s younger sister, Cordelia, played in the original by Phoebe Nicholls, for example, or his waspish friend Anthony Blanche (Nickolas Grace in the series)— appear only glancingly in the film.

“It was a terrible struggle, and we worked for many, many hours on the screenplay in order to make the right choices,” said Jeremy Brock, who wrote it with Andrew Davies. “But bluntly, you have a 330-page novel and a two-hour film, and you don’t have the luxury of being able to include everybody.” (So why do it at all, you idiot--JG. Sorry.)

The filmmakers also have played up the love triangle of Charles, Sebastian and Sebastian’s bewitching sister, Julia (Hayley Atwell). An extended scene during a night of erotic possibility in Venice serves to advance Charles’s romance with Julia. (All the changes — including placing Julia in Venice — were approved by the Waugh estate, the filmmakers said.) (Ugh!!--JG)

“This puts Julia center stage,” Mr. Brock said of the Venice scenes. “When you read the novel, there is a sense that she is slightly the one who comes after Sebastian, that she is No. 2, and I think it’s not quite fair. The true love story for Charles is the one with Julia.”

And while the homoerotic longings between Charles and Sebastian are more implied than explicit in the earlier incarnations, in the film they share a quick kiss. Instantly their easy camaraderie is polluted by a new awkwardness and inhibition.

“There’s a sense that maybe they’ve crossed a line that one of them isn’t ready to cross,” Mr. Brock said of the kiss.

In a surprising casting move Lady Marchmain, the matriarch whose deep religious faith reverberates so tragically through the lives of her children, is played by Emma Thompson, made up toward the end of the film to look much older.

“I always associate Emma Thompson with being youthful and contemporary and playing decent, sensitive characters, whereas obviously this is the complete opposite,” Mr. Jarrold said. But Ms. Thompson can play old as well as young, lacing her character’s prodigious charm with a chilly savagery.

As much as it is a story about a lost period of English history — a final shining moment before everything changed forever — “Brideshead” is a novel about the inexorable pull of Catholicism. The issues it raises are particularly relevant now, Mr. Brock said, though viewers may interpret what they see differently depending on the role of faith in their own lives.

A scene toward the end, when the Marchmain family tussles over the soul of Lord Marchmain (Michael Gambon) as he lies on his deathbed, is wrenching and even shocking. After abandoning his wife and her self-sacrificing piety for a life of sensuality and ease in Italy, Marchmain has returned home to die. But what sort of role should Catholicism play, with its ability to pull in lapsed members with a “twitch upon the thread,” as Waugh put it, citing G. K. Chesterton, at the end of Marchmain’s life? To Charles’s fascinated horror, the question is of central importance to the family, and there is only one possible answer.

“In that tug between individual freedom and fundamentalist religion, there’s a story that’s apposite for our time,” Mr. Brock said. “In the modern age that’s something we’re all dealing with.”

An important divergence in tone from Waugh’s novel, Mr. Jarrold said, comes in the closing scene, when Charles — now back at Brideshead during World War II — talks to Lieutenant Hooper, a fellow soldier who has a rough accent and the forthright views of a modern man unimpressed by the aristocracy. How to portray him led to long discussions about the way that Waugh “is sometimes profoundly undemocratic” and disdainful of Hooper and what he represents, Mr. Jerrold said.

In the book Hooper is “described as a traveling salesman with a wet handshake,” he said. “But he’s the future of England, and the hope of the 1945 generation, and we’ve put a positive spin on him.”  (Of course they did--they ARE Hooper!--JG)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:08:50 pm by jmmgallagher »

"Camping Out"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 03:43:57 pm »
Oh, dear me!  :-\

Have they really made such a mess of it?

Maybe I should just order the tv series on dvd instead.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 03:49:25 pm »
"This puts Julia center stage,” Mr. Brock said of the Venice scenes. “When you read the novel, there is a sense that she is slightly the one who comes after Sebastian, that she is No. 2, and I think it’s not quite fair. The true love story for Charles is the one with Julia.”

True?  According to whom?  I have to dig out my copy of the novel.  I seem to recall more of a sense of ambiguity.  There's even a line, something like, was Julia a stand-in for Sebastian, or, was Sebastian a precursor to Julia?

Just who is the Waugh estate, anyway? 

Meanwhile, I'll have another plover's egg...care for one, John?

(I have a feeling this film is going to lay an egg...)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 04:13:36 pm »

Meanwhile, I'll have another plover's egg...care for one, John?

I'd love one! And now, thanks to aphasia, I stutter like Anthony Blanche, I should learn how to be wicked and depraved like Anthony!  ::)

I saw the trailer, by the way--hilarious where not angry making. I feel for the actors, decent types, who must take the paycheck and gag behind the hand.

At one point, Emma Thompson has to say "Mr Ryder, I hope you are enjoying your vacation," rather then saying 'holiday.'

I mean as if!!!

Please--

Lady Marchmain using the word 'vacation'??

Ugh!!

Wikipedia: vacation

Vacation is a term used in English-speaking North America to describe a lengthy time away from work or school, a trip abroad, or simply a pleasure trip away from home, such as a trip to the beach that lasts several days or longer. In the rest of the English-speaking world the word holiday is used, whereas in North America, "holiday" normally applies to a specific national holiday or long weekend related to such a day. In some cases "vacation holiday" is used in North America, which signifies that a vacation trip is taken during a traditional national holiday period, extended on either end of the period by taking additional time off from work—creating a longer time unencumbered by work, an extended "long weekend", as it were. This practice is common in the United States where employers give far fewer annual vacation days (see below) than European employers—so stretching the related national holidays tends to conserve one's accumulated total of eligible days available for longer quality vacation excursions.

In England the word "vacation" referred specifically to the long summer break taken by the law courts (and later universities)—a custom introduced by William the Conqueror from Normandy where it was intended to facilitate the grape harvest. The French term is similar to the American English: "Les Vacances." The term derives from the fact that, in the past, upper-class families would literally move to a summer home for part of the year, leaving their usual family home vacant. Most countries around the world have labor laws mandating a certain number of days of time off per year to be given to a worker. In Canada the legal minimum is two weeks, while in most of Europe the limit is significantly higher. Neither the U.S. nor China requires that employees receive any vacation time at all. There are movements fighting for laws requiring more vacation time for American workers such as timeday.org.

In modern employment practice, vacation days are often coupled with Sick leave, official holidays, and sometimes personal days.

Americans and Canadians, especially those of recent British or European descent, may also use the word "holiday." "Annual Leave" is another expression used in Commonwealth countries. Many Canadians use both "holiday" and "vacation"; "...I'm taking holidays..." is a common expression, something not often heard in the United States.

(Ok, I know I'm a pill, but--still!)

"Camping Out"