Author Topic: Well, was I surprised!!  (Read 1966 times)

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
Well, was I surprised!!
« on: May 31, 2006, 11:53:44 am »
Ok, I read DaVinci Code..loved it, waited with little patience to see it....finally SAW IT...ummmm....i was TOTALLY UNDERWHELMED...
underdeveloped plot...too much left unexplained ( if i hadn't read the book i would have been LOST), Tom Hanks, though i have always loved him, his portrayal of Robert Langdon was just flat...emothinless...maybe thats what you act like if you are swept away in something like this, but it just seemed...like it was all kind of like dream walking...the changes that were made in the screen play were detremental to the basic story line...you could be confuesd as to who wore the white and black hats, so to speak...
That said....
I think that just like  BetterMost has ruined me for other forums, BBM has ruined me for any other movie...there will just NEVER be another BBM for me...compared to it, they are all just flat and meaningless...hohum....and WHO KNEW...it sure never got the press that it deserved, the cudos, the respect....oh well, if you "got it" you "got it", and if you didn't well...then  there is nothing to be said....
Thank the powers that be that I am one of the chosen...I AM A BROKIE!!!!
GayLee
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Well, was I surprised!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 11:59:30 am »
GayLee, you may already know this but just in case you don't and are interested, there's a 10-page discussion of The Davinci Code elsewhere on these boards. Many of the participants agree with you. It's at

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1618.0

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 02:10:53 pm »
thanks for the link...do you think it is because of BBM, or was it a crappy movie??
oh..., and i fell asleep TOO...almost anyway...had to FIGHT it....that NEVER happens to me...not at $6.50 a pop!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 02:12:49 pm by maggiesmommy »
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 02:25:20 pm »
I guess I'd call it a so-so movie that could have been a lot better. I haven't read the book, but it looks like there would have been material there for a much more entertaining film.

I sure am more judgmental about movies since Brokeback set the bar so high -- I haven't seen any since then (if ever) that even come close. But since seeing Brokeback I have enjoyed some good movies ("Thank You for Smoking," "The Squid and the Whale," "Friends with Money," "MI:3") and have even been reasonably entertained by some stupid ones ("Failure to Launch"). I'll see just about anything.

Offline PatSinnott

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Tell you what.......the truth is........
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 03:52:46 pm »
Saw the DaVinci code Saturday, and it was ok.  No big deal, kinda hard to follow, especially some of the thick accents, and changing back and forth with subtitles.  As an action drama, it kept moving, but so many people on opposing sides, it was hard to keep them apart in my mind. My partner fell asleep for about 20 minutes in the middle of the film.

Saw "Kinky Boots" yesterday, and it was a joy.  I'm going to buy it when it comes out, and that's saying a lot for me.  The last 3 DVD's I've bought were, reverse order, Brokeback Mountain, Latter Days, and years ago, Sordid Lives.   

..yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.