Author Topic: Movies you've been watching  (Read 11691 times)

Offline RebelWithASmile

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love was the word that left my lips
Movies you've been watching
« on: August 11, 2008, 11:54:54 am »
so its summer, and my summer is usually filled with emptiness and spiritual enlightenment. So, i've been watching a lot of movies lately.

recent movies

Raging Bull - wow, the 1st time i saw this movie i thought it was good, but i think i wasn't truly involved with the film. But now the 2nd time around, all i have to say is WOW. This movie is perfection. Beautiful shots, great performances, awesomeness.

Crash - i've had to watch this movie several times. After this viewing, i really, really liked it. It is a very good movie, even though i do not agree with it winning Best Picture, i put aside my prejudice towards this movie (as a Brokeback fan). Not perfect, but i respect it. Slightly ridiculous

The Last Picture Show - this is my new favorite movie! I love it, so well made, 3-d characters inspirational and yet tragic. Great, GREAT movie

The Hours - this has to be the best movie of the new millenuim. Very beautiful like a panorama of emotions, great music-best ever soundtrack? Great acting by an ensample.

Brokeback Mountain - Everytime i see this movie, i see more love, i see more beauty. Truly a wonderful movie. I'm always still mixed on something, i always have to rewatch it sometime later, because i almost forget how and why its so wonderful-only to be inspired again!

Persepolis - its a french animated film about a girl who goes through life in a sheltered society. WOW, so entertaining, compelling and provocative. I really liked this one, so uniquely drawn and executed.

A Streetcar Named Desire - This is such an amazing movie. One of my favorites. Blanche DuBois is one of the best characters ever written, tragic, intelligent, sensitive, and all so desperate. Vivien Leigh really gives a divine performance.

so what are some movies that my fellow Brokies are watching???  :D

"He was very afraid of being hurt. He was afraid of opening up in case it was turned around and used against him."

Heaven holds a sense of wonder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0VVoScBd4k

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Movies you've been watching
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 12:09:28 pm »
last night I watched "The Murderers Among Us" 1946 German movie about the rehabiliation of Nazis in the post war period. Last week I watched "The Kite Runners", I really recommend this movie. Dusty had on "Alien", so I ended up watching most of that too.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 12:10:52 pm »
so its summer, and my summer is usually filled with emptiness and spiritual enlightenment. So, i've been watching a lot of movies lately.

recent movies

Raging Bull - wow, the 1st time i saw this movie i thought it was good, but i think i wasn't truly involved with the film. But now the 2nd time around, all i have to say is WOW. This movie is perfection. Beautiful shots, great performances, awesomeness.

Crash - i've had to watch this movie several times. After this viewing, i really, really liked it. It is a very good movie, even though i do not agree with it winning Best Picture, i put aside my prejudice towards this movie (as a Brokeback fan). Not perfect, but i respect it. Slightly ridiculous

The Last Picture Show - this is my new favorite movie! I love it, so well made, 3-d characters inspirational and yet tragic. Great, GREAT movie

The Hours - this has to be the best movie of the new millenuim. Very beautiful like a panorama of emotions, great music-best ever soundtrack? Great acting by an ensample.

Brokeback Mountain - Everytime i see this movie, i see more love, i see more beauty. Truly a wonderful movie. I'm always still mixed on something, i always have to rewatch it sometime later, because i almost forget how and why its so wonderful-only to be inspired again!

Persepolis - its a french animated film about a girl who goes through life in a sheltered society. WOW, so entertaining, compelling and provocative. I really liked this one, so uniquely drawn and executed.

A Streetcar Named Desire - This is such an amazing movie. One of my favorites. Blanche DuBois is one of the best characters ever written, tragic, intelligent, sensitive, and all so desperate. Vivien Leigh really gives a divine performance.

so what are some movies that my fellow Brokies are watching???  :D

I enjoyed "The Hours" quite a bit more than I thought I would. There was something about the time progression and its interrelated parts of the womens lives that intrigued me.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 02:43:26 pm »
I've made it a habit to put on a movie each night as I'm winding down for the day, so my list would be far too long to post in its entirety, and I probably can't remember them all anyway! Here's a few recent ones though:

The Omen (2006) - I watched this one last night. It was quite good. Much better than I expected it to be. Julia Stiles played the mother and Mia Farrow played the nanny.

The Walton's - Not really a movie, but I have season #2, #5 and #6 on DVD. I've been watching season #2 off and on these past few days. I think my favorite episode from that season is "The Substitute", where the school finds themselves without a teacher (due to a family emergency) and hires a substitute teacher from New York City - highly intelligent, but young and inexperienced - who believes in running a very strict and rigid classroom.

How Stella Got Her Groove Back - One of my favorite movies. I love Angela Bassett and Taye Diggs is SEX ON LEGS!

What's Eating Gilbert Grape - Another one of my favorite movies! If you haven't seen it, you should rent it and watch it sometime. This was one of Leo DiCaprio's earliest performances, and he did such a brilliant job with his acting people actually thought he was mentally handicapped.

The River Wild - This movie is full of energy and beautiful scenery. Meryl Streep totally immersed herself into her character. She insisted on taking rafting lessons in order to make her character appear more realistic. This isn't the first time Ms Streep has done something like this. After she was cast for the movie Music From The Heart, she learned to play the violin. I've played the violin since the age of 7 or 8, and I can attest that it is NOT an easy instrument to learn. Meryl Streep is an amazing actress.

Pay It Forward - Another beautiful and amazing movie.

Titanic (1997) - My favorite movie of ALL TIME (not counting Brokeback Mountain of course!). I've watched this movie dozens of times and it seems I cannot get enough of it.

Interview With The Vampire - Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Antonio Bandaras, need I say more? LOL It is an elegant and highly intricate movie, quite beautiful in fact and full of homoerotic imagery.

The Color Purple

Driving Miss Daisy

Beloved - A ghost story starring Oprah Winfrey, Danny Glover, Thandie Newton, Kimberly Elise and Beah Richards. This was one of Beah Richards last performances and she did an amazing job. The movie is set in the Midwest (Cincinnati) during the latter half of the 19th century. Oprah Winfrey plays an escaped African American slave from northern Kentucky who moves in with her mother-in-law (Beah Richards) after a series of horrible events take place during her escape to freedom.

Everybody Loves Raymond - I own all 9 seasons on DVD and I watch them all the time! It's my favorite sitcom.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - Another of my favorite movies. Sean Penn is a riot in this movie, especially when he is dealing with Mr. Hand! lol

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »
The Happening, 2008, written by M. Night Shyamalan, and staring Mark Walberg.

The wind and the trees conspire to make people jump off of buildings and Mark Walberg looks perplexed and runs a lot. Not my favorite Shyamalan story, that would be The Village.

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline RebelWithASmile

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 05:31:22 pm »
I kinda wanted to see The Happening...but, lol, after your explanation, idk. lol

The color purple i've been meaning to watch all the way through. I really like Whoopi.

Same with Beloved

I like the Homecoming movie of the Waltons-very relaxing, very sweet.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Is a very good movie. I love Leo in it, Depp is good as usual. Very sad

Pay it Forward is inspirational

Titanic is a great movie, not one of my fav anymore, but its truly a landmark. I really don't understand how people say The Dark Knight is better...its not.

AH! I've been needing to see Driving Miss Daisy as well! Damn, Jessica Tandy was on Broadway, she actually played in A Streetcar Named Desire on Broadway. How cool

"He was very afraid of being hurt. He was afraid of opening up in case it was turned around and used against him."

Offline seadragon16

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:36:36 pm »
I like films that other people recommend because I've seen some great things that I might not have discovered otherwise. Like DavidinIndy, I tend to watch a film a night so I've watched dozens these past few weeks (I guess films really are my vice  ;)) These are just a few of the I've seen lately that have stuck in my mind afterwards:

BBM - obviously!

Mysterious Skin - wow. Not easy to watch at times, but Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really one to watch. He is incredible in this.

Manic - I tend to find actors or directors that I really like and then buy their other stuff. Another great film with JGL that looks at life in a unit for troubled teens. Great turn from Don Cheadle too as a counsellor.

Candy - another great Heath Ledger performance. God, he was good wasn't he?  :'(

Amores Perros - amazing film (I liked 21 grams and Babel too - cinematography in all three films was by Rodrigo Prieto) but this was the best of the three. Some difficult dog fighting scenes, but Gael Garcia Bernal was great in this. If you like this, try Motorcycle Diaries, Bad Education and Y Tu Mama Tambien, all with GGB too.

Tideland - Lots of people hated this, but if you watch what Terry Gilliam has to say in his introduction, you'll see that he is right. You have to watch it as if you were 6 years old. I love Gilliam's films and I'm really looking forward to Imaginarium.

The Science of Sleep - if you liked Eternal Sunshine and you like odd films, you'll love this. Beautifully shot, great animation mixed in and it leaves you thinking at the end.

My Own Private Idaho - my joint favourite film of all time (along with BBM of course). The bleakness of this film, along with the sadness that the late River Phoenix is no longer with us (such an amazing actor  :'() get me every time. Lots of people don't like Gus Van Sant's films, but I like everything he's done so far (with the exception of a couple). Watch it and see what you think. See Nancy Savoca's Dogfight too for another underrated gem, another incredible RP performance.

12 Angry Men - Brilliant. Shows how films should be made. One set for nearly the entire film and yet it holds your attention all the way.

Before Sunrise/Sunset - very good. Great scripts and leaves you feeling optimistic about life when you're feeling down.

Half Nelson - Ryan Gosling is another one to watch. With the exception of The Notebook (which personally I hated) pretty much everything he has done has been brilliant. See United States of Leland too.

See, so hard to stop when I get going! I could list another dozen at least  ;D

Other honourable mentions - The Dark Knight, The Mudge Boy, Everything is Illuminated, Somersault, The Machinist, Running on Empty, Japanese Story, Awakenings, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Big Fish, Lovers of the Arctic Circle, The Straight Story, Grave of the Fireflies, Leaving Las Vegas, Look Both Ways...

Absolute rubbish/hugely overrated (IMHO  :P) - The Lake House, A History of Violence, The Notebook, Requiem for a Dream, Titanic  ;)

I'll stop there...  :laugh:

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 07:10:13 pm »
Well BBM of course, and Candy, then some guilty pleasure with A knights tale.

Breakfast at Tiffanys, actually having a bit of an Audrey Hepburn fest as someone bought me a 4 box set.So Sabrina, Roman Holiday, Funny Face nd My fair Lady. In the same vein I watched Gigi. Then as it is related to our situation here I have watched green card.None of them are brilliant, but Audrey Hepburn to me anyway, is just stunning, I could watch her all day.
Tried the notebook and didn't get on with it at all.
Frederic Mitterand's film version of Madame Butterfly. It did not have me sobbing like BBM, but I did have a very big lump in my throat.
I was lucky enough to see the opera in a very intimate theatre at a castle in England and was immediately transfixed by both the story and music.This film version is a pretty good representation of it.I would think it is very difficult, to take something designed for the constraints of a stage and commit it to film.It worked for me anyway.
Those are my most recent viewings and I guess they are a pretty mixed bag.

Offline RebelWithASmile

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 10:38:54 pm »
wow, i'm happy i'm not the only movie lover

Mysterious Skin is a movie i wanted to see!

I use to resent Audrey Hepburn, but now i like her after seeing parts My Fair Lady. Kinda got me interested.

I've wanted to see Gigi, and Amores Perros.

I forgot to mention All About My Mother. A really good foreign film, that is about a woman that loses her son and tries to find the boys estranged father who has had a sex change. I've been trying to get into Pedro Almodóvar, he seems very interesting.

I'd love to see an Opera, optom3! i'm jealous. I want to see Rent on Broadway before it closes next month.

My Own Private Idaho is another movie i wanted to see. James Dean is my favorite actor, and Heath was one of my favorite actors when he was living, and now even more that he's passed. So i have to finish the circle with River Phoenix. I like him in Stand By Me of course ( i read the book for his character). But i haven't seen anything else of his, and this one sparked my interest.

The Science of Sleep! urghh!! i wanted to see that one too, actually, i might order it from a library tomorrow along with Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Wonderful movie

you don't like Requiem for a Dream, Seadragon13? Why? It tries to pull too much from you, at an unrealistic rate and unrealistic events, but i was still floored by the movie and Ellen Burstyn. Its kinda one of my favorites, but i've been losing interest.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 11:21:04 pm »
I have been watching "Shelter" (2007) over and over and over again, just like another film I watch all the time.  It's a small film, but a very good story, and with a nice little ending.

I can't get enough of Brad Rowe (though he seems to have put on a little baby fat since his part in "Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss").  Brad's really handsome, but it's a little shocking how he went from looking like Brad Pitt to the Brad Rowe of today (not complaining, just shocked).

That said, I still miss Heath.  I immediately recognized him by the gate of his walk in the first few scenes of Batman, which was incredible.

But I digress - if you want to see a really nice little gay-themed film, then "Shelter" is my rec. 
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"