Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 247331 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #500 on: July 04, 2012, 03:17:58 am »

111th anniversary of world's longest covered bridge

It's located in Hartland, New Brunswick, that province's smallest town (pop 902 - if you don't count the pets  ;D )

Strange that they would have a Canadian google doodle on the 4th of July (American Independance day)

BTW, in another thread, somebody said s/he didn't know that Canada and the US had their independence days so close together ... Well, it's NOT an independance day here in the Great White North. That would be like saying all of Europe celebrates 'Bastille Day' on their National day. We just hate being confused with our cousins to the south.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #501 on: July 04, 2012, 02:59:32 pm »
Strange that they would have a Canadian google doodle on the 4th of July (American Independance day)

Making up for the Canada Day doodle  ;D
U.S. doodle today is very much redwhiteandblue

Heathen

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #502 on: July 04, 2012, 04:35:11 pm »
Hey Roux - you're suppose to share it so we too might see it!

American Independence Day 2012

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/google-doodles-this-land-is-your-land-on-4th-of-july-us-independence-day/269413-11.html

New Delhi: It is the 4th of July and Google is up with a doodle on its US home page that celebrates one of the United States' most famous folk songs - This Land Is Your Land.

The letters of the Google logo in the colours of the flag of the United States are formed of the opening lines of Woody Guthrie's legendary song - "This land is your land, this land is my land." To further embellish the folk roots of the doodle, the 'L' in the Google logo is represented by an acoustic guitar.

Google has been posting 4th of July doodles since 2000 and there have been 16 different Google doodles commemorating the American Independence Day till date. In 2000 there were four different versions of the doodle.

The Fourth of July Google doodle is viewable only to Google users in the United States, users from other countries visiting the Google home page get to see the Google logo and not a doodle.

Below search box beneath the 4th of July Google doodle is a line of text that reads, "Celebrate freedom. Support and free and open Internet," clicking on which takes you to Google's Take Action page, that urges users to celebrate freedom by supporting a free and open Internet. The page includes a one-minute video with quotes on life, liberty and the pursuit of digital democratisation from people from all walks of life.

Google has also posted a US flag made up of the quotes on its Take Action page and has released it into the public domain to encourage users to copy, modify and distribute the image without permission.

There is another Google doodle on the Google home page of the country that lies to the north of the US. The doodle on the Google Canada homepage marks the Nelson anniversary (111th) of the Hartland Covered Bridge, New Brunswick. The 391 metre long bridge across the Saint John River is the world's longest covered bridge.
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #503 on: July 04, 2012, 06:49:53 pm »

I      LOVE      THAT      RED WHITE AND BLUE 

DOODLE

Beautiful mind

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #504 on: July 04, 2012, 08:12:29 pm »
Hey Roux - you're suppose to share it so we too might see it!

American Independence Day 2012

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/google-doodles-this-land-is-your-land-on-4th-of-july-us-independence-day/269413-11.html

New Delhi: It is the 4th of July and Google is up with a doodle on its US home page that celebrates one of the United States' most famous folk songs - This Land Is Your Land.

The letters of the Google logo in the colours of the flag of the United States are formed of the opening lines of Woody Guthrie's legendary song - "This land is your land, this land is my land." To further embellish the folk roots of the doodle, the 'L' in the Google logo is represented by an acoustic guitar.

Google has been posting 4th of July doodles since 2000 and there have been 16 different Google doodles commemorating the American Independence Day till date. In 2000 there were four different versions of the doodle.

The Fourth of July Google doodle is viewable only to Google users in the United States, users from other countries visiting the Google home page get to see the Google logo and not a doodle.

Below search box beneath the 4th of July Google doodle is a line of text that reads, "Celebrate freedom. Support and free and open Internet," clicking on which takes you to Google's Take Action page, that urges users to celebrate freedom by supporting a free and open Internet. The page includes a one-minute video with quotes on life, liberty and the pursuit of digital democratisation from people from all walks of life.

Google has also posted a US flag made up of the quotes on its Take Action page and has released it into the public domain to encourage users to copy, modify and distribute the image without permission.

There is another Google doodle on the Google home page of the country that lies to the north of the US. The doodle on the Google Canada homepage marks the Nelson anniversary (111th) of the Hartland Covered Bridge, New Brunswick. The 391 metre long bridge across the Saint John River is the world's longest covered bridge.

I tried but I am just such a techidiot sometimes  :P

Heathen

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #505 on: July 14, 2012, 09:49:58 am »

Gustav Klimt's 150th anniversary

http://www.pcworld.com/article/259253/google_doodle_celebrates_life_of_gustav_klimt.html

Google likes to doodle, so it's fitting the Internet search engine with a penchant for artistic creativity would mark the 150th anniversary of Austrian painter Gustav Klimt's birth with a special rendering of its homepage.

Saturday's doodle infuses Google's name in gold into a reproduction of "The Kiss," which is arguably Klimt's most famous piece of art.

Klimt's paintings are some of the most expensive in the world. In 2006, Klimt's 1907 portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer -- the "Mona Lisa" of Austria— sold for $135 million, eclipsing the then-record $104.1 million paid at auction for Picasso's 1905 "Boy With a Pipe (The Young Apprentice)."

The Kiss, a square oil painting with gold leaf that depicts a couple embracing, is currently hanging in a Vienna palace museum.

As for the artist himself, Klimt is known for co-founding the progressive Vienna Secession movement of the 1890s, although he fell out of favor with many influential people because of his paintings for the University of Vienna, which depicted scenes of turmoil.

Later, Klimt surrounded himself with rich patrons who commissioned much of his work. The celebrated artist also is known for his romantic affairs and the many children he fathered, although his lifelong companion was fashion designer and businesswoman Emilie Flöge.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #506 on: July 14, 2012, 12:10:27 pm »
Today when I went to Google.com, I got the Klimt doodle.  But most often, I get no doodle, simply the Google search bar.  Is there a url that will always result in getting the doodle?  ???
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #507 on: July 14, 2012, 12:53:07 pm »
Hmmm, I always get the doodle, both on my phone and on my computer. What do you use for your search engine?

Heathen

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #508 on: July 14, 2012, 04:39:11 pm »
Hmmm, I always get the doodle, both on my phone and on my computer. What do you use for your search engine?

Mozilla Firefox
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #509 on: July 24, 2012, 12:22:15 am »

Amelia Earhart's 115th birthday