Author Topic: Ten Best Planets in Science Fiction  (Read 5842 times)

injest

Ten Best Planets in Science Fiction
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:09:54 pm »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Ten Best Planets in Science Fiction
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:16:16 pm »
Thanks for posting that, Jess.  The article and comments are a quick education in what's out there in popular science fiction.  I have a lot of reading to do!  :P

Looks like they did mention Tatooine, but they went for Dagobah as the one Star Wars choice.  :-\

I have read numbers 3 and 8, the Ursula LeGuin and Kim Stanley Robinson books.  Both highly recommended!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

injest

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 06:39:07 pm »
Thanks for posting that, Jess.  The article and comments are a quick education in what's out there in popular science fiction.  I have a lot of reading to do!  :P

Looks like they did mention Tatooine, but they went for Dagobah as the one Star Wars choice.  :-\

I have read numbers 3 and 8, the Ursula LeGuin and Kim Stanley Robinson books.  Both highly recommended!  8)

Dagobah was ok but to me Tatooine was so much more iconic..

injest

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 06:41:55 pm »
I havent read any of those. My thing is Sci fi SHORT stories. I love the skill it takes to write a complete, believable story in a few pages that captures my imagination and makes the world seem real to me..

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 07:58:57 pm »
Tattooine is right up with there with Courscant, IMO.  Dagobah can go suck a Sith.  You seen one swamp, you've seen 'em all.

In some of the comments people left, one or two jogged my memory - yes, how can they leave off the planet Vulcan?  Or Geidi Prime from Dune?  Or Krypton?

Heck, there are even planets no one has seen, but almost everyone has heard of in the Star Wars universe - Corellia (Han Solo was Corellian, remember?) and - well up until Ep III - Alderaan.

They guy who yelled "Barsoom" in the comments made me laugh.  Yes, I remember that place!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 11:05:21 am »
No Star Trek planets mentioned?? :(   I'm a fan of the old series but I have not watched it in awhile.  Of course, on the old series a crewmember always seems to die on some new planet they are visiting or the main characters meet some type of hostile aliens.  Kirk usually gets a doomed love interest though.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:25:42 am »
No Star Trek planets mentioned?? :(   I'm a fan of the old series but I have not watched it in awhile.  Of course, on the old series a crewmember always seems to die on some new planet they are visiting or the main characters meet some type of hostile aliens.  Kirk usually gets a doomed love interest though.

I watched all those old Star Trek episodes many, many times in repeats, but it's hard to remember the actual planet names.  Unfortunately, because of a low budget and no CGI, most planets looked an awful lot like Earth or the inside of a studio.  ;D

My brothers and I would always say "Uh-oh" when the guys in red shirts beamed town with the away team.  One or more was surely doomed!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 11:35:45 am »
Usually one of the security dudes (they wore red), so he was expendable. Hey, at least he can put it on his resume.

Yeah, the planets in Star Trek were rather low budget constructs.  I kinda liked the one that seemed to inspire the movie WESTWORLD if you know the episode I mean.  Of course, it looks like California without all the people.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 12:06:38 pm »
Usually one of the security dudes (they wore red), so he was expendable. Hey, at least he can put it on his resume.

Yeah, the planets in Star Trek were rather low budget constructs.  I kinda liked the one that seemed to inspire the movie WESTWORLD if you know the episode I mean.  Of course, it looks like California without all the people.

Yes, I know the one you mean.  :)

Earth's history was mined so often, you began to wonder how we managed to have such a huge influence on the galaxy:  cowboys, gangsters, Greeks and Romans, hippies.  The writers had their work cut out for them figuring out all the angles.

Some of my favorite episodes involved Vulcan, one of their more original concepts.  I wish we'd been allowed to see the homeworlds of the Klingons and Andorreans, too.  Later TV series (or was it movies?) did set some scenes on Romulus.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

injest

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 06:19:53 am »

what was that movie that had the cast of a sci fi show get kidnapped to defend some aliens? Galaxyquest? there was an African American in a red shirt and he was so upset because "Are you kidding? I am Black, I have on a red shirt, there is NO WAY I am gonna survive this!!!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

only a Trekkie would snort their Coke outta their nose at that one...