Author Topic: I'm freakin' out here  (Read 12746 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
I'm freakin' out here
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:58:24 pm »
OK, I'm trying desperately to come up with a rational explanation for what I just discovered.

A few days ago, I got out my "stink finder".  It's long-wave UV light which detects stains in carpets, etc.  It's about the size of a small flashlight.

Matter of fact, in addition to the UV bulb, it has a regular flashlight on one end.

I had used the UV part and then left it sitting on my desk for a few days now. 

I just came home from work and found the flashlight on.

I didn't use that part of the flashlight.  It wasn't on and hasn't been for days.

Who turned it on?

It has a switch, one of those flat slide buttons that sit in the middle for 'off' then you click it to one side to turn on the UV, and you click it past off and then to the other side to click 'on[' the regular flashlight part.

The switch side was face down on the desk.  The only way it can be accidentally turned on is if someone was exerting pressure down on it and slid the switch over the edge of my desk to catch the edge to flip it on.  Then shoved it back again.

My cats?  Is it possible for them to do that?

:P ??? :o  ??? :o :P

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: I'm freakin' out here
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:24:22 pm »
Yeah your cats could have knocked it or its been in the almost on position and so its clcked into the on position itself?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:27:03 pm »
Yeah, must have been the cats........

Unless the drawers and cupboards of your home were open and stuff thrown all over the place... :o
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:54:32 pm »
Yeah your cats could have knocked it or its been in the almost on position and so its clcked into the on position itself?

The only problem I have with the cat theory is that once my cats start rubbing on something that's on a table/chair/counter, they seldom rub back and forth, they usually only rub in one direction until they knock it off and onto the ground.  This was not on the edge of the desk, it was about two inches back from the edge.  I felt the desk and light to see how warm it was - to gauge how long it had been on.

The desk was warm.  :P

injest

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:57:53 pm »
hmmm....ok that is freaky...you sure no one else is there, right?

have you had any work done in your apartment? maybe an exterminator or maint man?

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 08:02:14 pm »
Oooh, creepy. My friends and I were just telling ghost stories last night, but I won't go into that here...

Unless you want me to.  :-X

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 08:07:58 pm »
Maybe you flicked the switch without realizing it, when you turned the UV part of it off.....

Other than that.....or the cats.......it must have been the phantom torch turner onner....

He comes to our place sometimes when the grandkids are here, when I ask "who left that torch on and flattened the battery".......they shrug and say  "not me"........so I know from experience, that there is such a thing as the phantom torch turner onner..... ::) ::)
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 08:24:57 pm »
hmmm....ok that is freaky...you sure no one else is there, right?

I did a very good inspection of the apt.  Checked closets, bathtub, under the bed, etc.

have you had any work done in your apartment? maybe an exterminator or maint man?

Not in a very long time.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:26:24 pm »
Oooh, creepy. My friends and I were just telling ghost stories last night, but I won't go into that here...

Unless you want me to.  :-X

:P  Thanks, but my sister beat you to it.  I called her just on the off chance (it was really out in left field chance - she was still at work and works on the other side of town from where I live) that she had been by my apt that day.  She instantly went into all the spooky things she'd seen on Youtube.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 08:30:18 pm »
Maybe you flicked the switch without realizing it, when you turned the UV part of it off.....

Other than that.....or the cats.......

I would think so as well, but the switch isn't loosey-goosey.  It's pretty firm, a clear click let's you know it's in position.  I tried to mess with it, tried to leave it half-on half-off.  It was very difficult to do, I didn't succeed.  It flipped into one slot or the other.  No half-way.  I even slid it around, just like a cat would do, see if would accidentally flip on.  Nope.  It needs noticeable downward pressure to flip the switch.

it must have been the phantom torch turner onner....

He comes to our place sometimes when the grandkids are here, when I ask "who left that torch on and flattened the battery".......they shrug and say  "not me"........so I know from experience, that there is such a thing as the phantom torch turner onner..... ::) ::)

:laugh: