Author Topic: Diana Ossana's "interview" transcribed  (Read 6178 times)

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Diana Ossana's "interview" transcribed
« on: August 22, 2008, 09:24:51 pm »
I finished transcribing my audio of Diana's comments (a little over an hour) from the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills on August 4, and it is available in Interviews/Transcripts on FindingBrokeback.com 

http://www.findingbrokeback.com/Interviews/Ossana/Ossana1.html

http://www.findingbrokeback.com/Interviews/Ossana/Ossana2.html

There is some really interesting information here about how she and Larry collaborated on the writing of the script, the trials of finding a studio that wasn't afraid of the story, the casting process, the first actor who committed to the role of Ennis, the talks that she had with Heath and Michelle and Anne to be sure that they understood what their character was thinking and what was going on in their lives,  what she gave to Heath and Jake to help them find their way and not get lost as shooting went on, why Alma waited so long to leave Ennis after she saw the kiss, Lureen and that phone call... And in the last paragraph she says, "I definitely want you all to hear this..." and it sounds like a personal message to all of us.

As usual with the regular interviews there have been some photos added to the text and you really must see the picture of the rancher from Jordan, Montana, that Diana said they based Ennis's look on.

There's some great stuff here!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 07:27:01 am by tamarack »

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Diana Osssana's "interview" transcribed
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:18:39 pm »
Wow !!!!
Thankyou so much for doing that.What an amazing insight into so many elements.Reading through it all, now makes it seem even more that t was a screenplay that just had to be written and filmed.
The number of years and obstacles that had to be overcome,I am astonished that Ossana  and Mc Murty didn't just give up.It seems it was almost destined to be.
IT is fascinating to read that they thought all types of people could take something from it.Ossanas' reaction on 1st reading the S.S was similar to mine,lots of what could have been.and missed opportunities.
This is a real gem, which I will save and put on back up.
A big thankyou again.I can imagine this was a lot of hard work for you.
I think it also helped me to understand more, some of the ways, that some Americans minds may work. Back in England years ago, and I mean about 15, we had an openly gay couple in a prime time soap opera.In fact there were 2 one male couple in Eastenders, and female in Brookside.So it did not seem such a big deal, to me.Having read some of the things that originally it was thought Americans just would not stomach, gave me an insight into some of the people in my host country.
Yet again BBM continues to educate and enrich my life.Maybe it did not get an Oscar, because it was too good.After all how many remember the past 10 years best film Oscars,I could not name 5.Yet how many will still remember BBM in 20 years.I certainly will andwill still be reading the S.S and watching the DVD and probably still crying.

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:38:28 pm »
Oh yes. That was wonderful. Thinking on how this movie changed so many people's lives forever is just amazing. It's like WOW! And I agree, optom. People WILL remember this movie in the next 20 to 30 years and beyond. It's one of those movies that hits you right there in the middle of your heart.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 11:51:58 pm »
Thank you so much.  What a labor of love on your part, and it is so appreciated.  "There's some great stuff here" is an understatement. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 02:24:27 am »
This interview is a must read for every brokie!

It's so obvious that there's so much love towards the story and the film. I love that. I sat here smiling while reading the interview. It was such good fortune that this gem of a story fell into the right hands of people like Diana Ossana, Larry McMurtry, Ang Lee, etc.

'This ain't no little thing that's happening here'. Thank you so much Lauren. I've said it before but Findingbrokeback really is a labour of love.  :-*
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Diana Ossana's "interview" transcribed
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 04:45:03 pm »
Thank you sincerely for transcribing this. A very thorough interview, extremely interesting and moving read, with a lot of insights into scenes and every aspect of the making of the film. It's so wonderful to see how much Diana Ossana still cherishes the film and the filming experience.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 07:09:25 pm »
Lauren - thank you *so* much for this transcript!  Wow.
 :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 08:13:07 pm »
I'm so happy that this matters so much to all of you; I know that I really enjoyed working with it to get it down on paper. It was such an amazing night, such a huge screen, crystal clear audio, and to have the time afterwards with Diana to learn so much about getting it all accomplished. She is clearly still very emotionally involved in this whole process.

What did you think of the picture of Richard Wheatcroft, the Montana rancher? I told Jim that I thought we really had to have that picture, and he drove quite a ways to get to a library that had a copy that we could borrow. When he sent the picture to me I was just like OMG. It's Ennis!

Offline optom3

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 09:05:44 pm »
I'm so happy that this matters so much to all of you; I know that I really enjoyed working with it to get it down on paper. It was such an amazing night, such a huge screen, crystal clear audio, and to have the time afterwards with Diana to learn so much about getting it all accomplished. She is clearly still very emotionally involved in this whole process.

What did you think of the picture of Richard Wheatcroft, the Montana rancher? I told Jim that I thought we really had to have that picture, and he drove quite a ways to get to a library that had a copy that we could borrow. When he sent the picture to me I was just like OMG. It's Ennis!

I have to admit there is more than a passing resemblance.Heath of course is better looking.

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 11:48:05 pm »
I have to admit there is more than a passing resemblance.Heath of course is better looking.

Ditto. :)