Author Topic: You may be a sinner !!  (Read 3749 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
You may be a sinner !!
« on: August 25, 2008, 10:35:11 am »
I have often wondered about this particular section of the film.Jack has said about the pentecost ," I guess it's when the world ends and fellas like you and me march off to hell"
Ennis replies "uh uh, speak for yourself.You may be a sinner ,but I ain't yed had the opportunity"

Does Jack already think that Ennis is gay? The 2 have not mentioned sex with anyone,the only mention of Alma, is she and Ennis are getting married when Ennis comes down from the mountain.
Jack has mentioned no women at all. So is he inferring that he and Ennis are both gay and that is a sin? Or is he assuming that Ennis has had sex with Alma and that is a sin?
Ennis's reply gives nothing away either, he has not yet had a chance to sin, but is he referring to men or women.
I know that in England and parts of America, in the 60's people were having sex right left and center, in the sexual revolution.
Jack already knows he is gay, so is he sure Ennis is, and that is why he says fellas like you and me.
Ennis gives that lovely smile when he replies and I wonder if he picks up on anything or if the 2 of them are completely at cross purposes.
It is that night when they have sex for the 1st time and although Ennis is taken aback initially, he soon gets the idea.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: You may be a sinner !!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 11:55:31 am »
I have often wondered about this particular section of the film.Jack has said about the pentecost ," I guess it's when the world ends and fellas like you and me march off to hell"
Ennis replies "uh uh, speak for yourself.You may be a sinner ,but I ain't yed had the opportunity"

Does Jack already think that Ennis is gay? The 2 have not mentioned sex with anyone,the only mention of Alma, is she and Ennis are getting married when Ennis comes down from the mountain.
Jack has mentioned no women at all. So is he inferring that he and Ennis are both gay and that is a sin? Or is he assuming that Ennis has had sex with Alma and that is a sin?

Jack's line refers to him and Ennis being no-account men with no prospects in life, IMO. I think he was subtly referring back to his childhood, when his father abused him and caused him to lack self-esteem. I don't think he was specifically talking about being gay, although that factored into it, certainly, Jack knowing he was different, had different preferences, and suspected that Ennis did as well.

Ennis's reply gives nothing away either, he has not yet had a chance to sin, but is he referring to men or women.
This is one of those delightful subtle details. IMO, Ennis is flirting with Jack, and subtly acknowledging that he is attracted to Jack without giving away anything!

I know that in England and parts of America, in the 60's people were having sex right left and center, in the sexual revolution.
Whoa! I came of age then, but I musta missed it! Dang! (Actually your characterization is fairly accurate. There was a tremendous amount of sex going on then!)

Ennis gives that lovely smile when he replies and I wonder if he picks up on anything or if the 2 of them are completely at cross purposes.
They both picked up on it! Jack smiled and gave a moan/giggle, and handed Ennis the whiskey bottle! That was a dead giveaway!

It is that night when they have sex for the 1st time and although Ennis is taken aback initially, he soon gets the idea.
Actually I don't think they proceeded to have sex that night, I think it was just a ways into the future. But I could be wrong.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 12:05:45 am »
Well, it was the intial signs of what's gonna happen that night and like Front-Ranger said, Ennis was flirting with him and just joking around. Plus, this is one of those hidden meaning quotes. He was also saying to Jack that he's a virgin.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:54:29 pm »
Another "You may be a sinner" thread!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"