Author Topic: get out and VOTE!!!  (Read 12640 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: get out and VOTE!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 02:17:20 pm »
Voting is a right.

If you vote, you can complain when your candidate doesn't win or when things go wrong. Or you can work harder to try to change things the next time.  If you stay home on election days, you should keep your mouth shut and take what you get. Or change your ways the next time.

That's my theory too Shasta!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 02:26:56 pm »
If you stay home on election days, you should keep your mouth shut and take what you get.

;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 11:33:16 pm »
Voting is a right.

If you vote, you can complain when your candidate doesn't win or when things go wrong. Or you can work harder to try to change things the next time.  If you stay home on election days, you should keep your mouth shut and take what you get. Or change your ways the next time.

I don't know Shasta, it is hard to think about abridging someone's freedom of speech because they voluntarily chose to not exercise their voting rights. when you really look at the process of electioneering, if a concerned citizen really wants to be a part of changing gov policies by influencing who the elected officials are, then they should be involved in the process long before the ballots are actually cast. But, most people don't have the time or resources to do that on a continuous basis. and most people don't become politically activated until one of their "interests" are threatened. I completely understand and sympathise with those who simply don't care to vote, and I am usually interested in their opinions. 

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 11:40:05 pm »
I don't know Shasta, it is hard to think about abridging someone's freedom of speech because they voluntarily chose to not exercise their voting rights. when you really look at the process of electioneering, if a concerned citizen really wants to be a part of changing gov policies by influencing who the elected officials are, then they should be involved in the process long before the ballots are actually cast. But, most people don't have the time or resources to do that on a continuous basis. and most people don't become politically activated until one of their "interests" are threatened. I completely understand and sympathise with those who simply don't care to vote, and I am usually interested in their opinions. 

Well, you're a good man, brokeplex. I'm not as willing to listen to complaints as you. It's good that we have people like you.

I'm too "put on your big girl panties" and get on with your life sometimes.  ;) Occasionally, I need to be reminded of that myself.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 11:46:15 pm »
 :) if only most people were as conscientious about understanding the issues of the day as you and other Bettermostians are! sigh!

but, the reality is most people are more concerned about whether there is enough beer in the fridge to last the weekend or whether their kids grades are good enough to get into a good school, etc. I can't fault people for concerning themselves with the mundane, it is what they can control, and most people feel that politics is like a bad opera, they just want the curtain to fall so they can go home and open one of those cold ones.  :laugh:

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 11:53:49 pm »
:) if only most people were as conscientious about understanding the issues of the day as you and other Bettermostians are! sigh!

but, the reality is most people are more concerned about whether there is enough beer in the fridge to last the weekend or whether their kids grades are good enough to get into a good school, etc. I can't fault people for concerning themselves with the mundane, it is what they can control, and most people feel that politics is like a bad opera, they just want the curtain to fall so they can go home and open one of those cold ones.  :laugh:

;D :laugh: :laugh:
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~