Author Topic: Your fave lines from the book?  (Read 5185 times)

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
Your fave lines from the book?
« on: June 01, 2006, 07:18:24 am »
I wondered what everyone's favourite lines / passages were from the book, and why? I know that you can barely find a line that isn't beautiful / haunting / poetic / heartbreaking in Annie Proulx's genius writing, but for my part these are two of my favourites...

' "You got a kid?" said Jack. His shaking hand grazed Ennis's hand, electrical current snapped between them.
"Two little girls," Ennis said. "Alma Jr. and Francine. Love them to pieces." Alma's mouth twitched.
"I got a boy," said Jack. "Eight months old. Tell you what, I married a cute little old Texan girl down in Childress - Lureen." From the vibrations of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking. '

I can almost feel myself holding my breath when I read that part, and can totally feel how close Jack is to losing control & the impact Ennis's physical presence has on him.

And I also love...

'There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below, suspended above ordinary affairs and distant from the tame ranch dogs barking in the dark hours. They believed themselves invisible...'

I've quoted this elsewhere on the board, but you can't read it too many times IMO! I can't think of a more beautiful expression of the overwhelming feeling of first love. I was on a crowded bus when i first read it and it made me cry! I think the person next to me was wondering what the hell was wrong  :'(
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Your fave lines from the book?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 07:22:29 am »
My favourite line is the one when Ennis is riding back u pto the sheep.  He is so happy that he feels that" he could paw the white right off of the moon."

Too bad they couldn't convey that in the movie.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 08:13:51 am »
... and still they clinched, pressing chest and groin and thigh and leg together, treading on each other's toes until they pulled apart to breathe and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin.

*sigh*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 08:38:56 am »
"Like vast clouds of steam from thermal springs in winter the years of things unsaid and now unsayable -- admissions, declarations, shames, guilts,fears--rose around them...."

love that one, but Anne's prose is so evocative it's hard to pick just one. ::)

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 08:52:08 am »
My favourite line is the one when Ennis is riding back u pto the sheep.  He is so happy that he feels that" he could paw the white right off of the moon."

Too bad they couldn't convey that in the movie.

I'm gonna hang on David's coat tails, this is the best line ever.  I kind of see him thinking that in the movie, when he's sending up a prayer of thanks.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 08:56:13 am »

I'm gonna hang on David's coat tails, this is the best line ever.  I kind of see him thinking that in the movie, when he's sending up a prayer of thanks.

It really is a beautiful line. For me it's the moment Ennis starts to feel the euphoria of new love, though I suspect he doesn't realise it yet.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 08:59:27 am »
I got a million of 'em. Well, not literally. ...

But the only one I can be sure I won't misquote without the text here in front of me at work?

"Gun's goin' off."

;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 09:14:25 am »
I enjoyed contributing to this thread of yours on IMDb, Nicky. There are indeed hundreds I could quote. You've already quoted the "shaking floorboards" one, so here's an other:

"...yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

To which the following echoes

"And he would wake sometimes in grief, sometimes with the old sense of joy and relief; the pillow sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets"

Gets me every time, even right now...
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 09:24:17 am »
I also love, and understand the feeling of:

" If he does not force his attention on it [the dream], it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong".
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 09:32:28 am »
Hey Isabelle! I thought I'd resurrect this from IMDB as it got quite a good response there. Also, watching the film a second time at the theatres after having read the story felt like a much more overwhelming experience for me, Annie Proulx's words were so powerful.