Author Topic: The Last Time You Watched Brokeback Mountain?  (Read 15961 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
The Last Time You Watched Brokeback Mountain?
« on: September 06, 2008, 08:10:44 pm »

Now that the Brokie community is becoming increasingly "long in the tooth", I'm curious to guage current Brokie viewing habits.  I think for many of us there were phases in the past when we would watch our favorite movie almost daily. 

It would be interesting to know what your viewing habits, specifically in regard to BBM, are now vs. earlier or at the peak of your Brokie fever.

For the record, I just finished watching it myself about ten minutes ago.
:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Last Time You Watched Brokeback Mountain?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 10:01:26 pm »
Amanda, does watching part or parts of the movie count?  I've watched the first half way more times than I've watched the entire movie (and I admit to being a total wimp and having to fast forward through certain parts).  I probably watched most of it a couple months ago, so I voted for July 2008. 

But now that you've brought it up, I feel like watching it again (especially to pay attention to those long shots you mentioned on the Open Forum!)  :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 10:17:03 pm »

LOL!  I know what you mean Marie!  I think I've seen the first half of BBM about two times more frequently than I've seen the second half.  My theory is that if you turn the movie off in the middle of the "prayer of thanks" camp scene, before Jack mentions the cow and calf operation, then the movie is a more or less happy affair.  I feel like that premature suggestion by Jack (I really do think he's over anxious here and suggests it too soon) is the beginning of a lot of angst (even in Jack's face) and of course brings on the Earl story.

It's impossible for me to count the number of times I've seen it now because I stopped keeping track ages ago.  That would be another interesting poll... about numbers of viewings.  But, I suspect a lot of people probably don't know at this point.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:18:19 pm »

Also, I just want to add... that even typing the last option in the poll here, "I don't know if I'll watch again" made me sad. :(

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 10:23:51 pm »
Amanda, I watch it all the way through almost every time, but sometimes, you're right, I stop right at the "cow and calf" speech.  Why is that???  It just seems like a turning point, even though it's not the halfway point through the movie.  Weird you do that too...

Last time I watched it all the way through was yesterday, in honor of Rich's dad's memory.

And you're also right in that most of us Brokies have watched it so many times we've lost count.  I bet I'm nearing 200 viewings by now, at least.  And every minute of it was well spent...
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 10:44:35 pm »
Atz, before you added this thread, I planned lately in the last two or three wekks to watch BM very soon, but can not yet, for two reasons since I have seen my friend's stone at the cemetary which his life reminds me of BM movie since I figure that he was murdered because he was a gay man; and, because I would still find it too sad to do so! It is a dramatic movie in many ways!

I aim to view it before Christmas if possible!

Offline optom3

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 10:48:42 pm »
I last watched it only a couple of days ago, and will be watching it again within the next few days.
I don't watch all of it. I F.F through all the bits that don't have Jack and Ennis in them.I do always watch right to the end though and still cry.For some insane reason, I think the ending will change.No wonder I am on medication.

I love TS1 and 2,also the reunion kiss and motel scene, not forgetting the offering up a prayer scene, the shirts scene,Oh I pretty much love it all.

I still don't get those who do not feel the same way about it as me.The last person I lent it too,liked it and thought it was very sad, even cried at the end.It did not however floor her like me.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 06:49:47 am »
I watched ut at the euro brokie meet - the last time I watched it before that was when it was on tv in May.

Before that = oooh about 6 months before for part of it - watching it in its entirety - probabablly early 07.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 08:17:51 am »
The last time I watched it completely was at the Roundup in June.
The viewing prior to that was in late February or early March, when theatres played it again in honour of Heath.
Before that, I hadn't seen it for maybe four or five months.

Every four or five months is now pretty much the frequence in which I feel the need to watch it again. Makes two or three times a year. Yeah, I think that's pretty accurate.

The first year I watched it every four to six weeks maybe.

Alltogether I think I saw it around 20 times, I lost count long ago.
Sometimes I stopped towards the end of their first summer, or when the judge's hammer falls, a second before the post-divorce scene.
And during the first year I sometimes watched the first ten minutes again after the end of the movie. Couldn't bear it otherwise.

Don't ask me how often I saw parts of it, to check specific scenes for discussions in the Open Forum.  :laugh:
Although at the beginning, in the early phase of Brokeback fever, I couldn't do that, it would have felt like blasphemie, like butchering the movie.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 11:40:07 am »
Why do we watch it more than once ?

May I ask!

Au revoir,
hugs!