Author Topic: The Last Time You Watched Brokeback Mountain?  (Read 15957 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: The Last Time You Watched Brokeback Mountain?
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 01:24:56 pm »
I watched it last month in Brussels with the eurobrokies. It was the first time I saw it with other brokies and I have to say, there's nothing like it. I loved the little commentaries everyone gave and the 'knowing' smiles with people that get it. It was a very comforting experience.

And I started crying at the Final Lake Scene as I always do.  :'(

It is funny how you cry in different places after the first viewing. I frequently cry at the motel scene now and where they jump off the cliff into the water.It is because I know now, that it is the the last time they are together, when there can still be some hope for a more permanant relationship.We have not had the Earl and Rich tale, which pretty well signals the the beginning of the end.

I never thought when I first saw the film, that all this time later,I would still sit and watch it and sob.I now no longer know who or what I am crying for.Is it Jack and Ennis, is it Heath, or is it for myself ?

And yet, in a way I feel 'blessed' for being touched by this movie in the way that I have, painful and sad as it may be.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 11:22:25 am »
Watching it with someone else is different ?

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 09:07:40 pm »
last time I watched it was in LA (like RouxB).

don't know when I'll watch it again.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 07:12:26 pm »

I watched it once since Heath's death.
Another viewing coming up soon, no doubt...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 09:13:16 pm »

Another viewing coming up soon, no doubt...

I'm feeling the urge to watch it again soon too Bud! :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 10:20:27 pm »

I watched it right after Heath's death.  I had to watch him alive again.  Up and walking around and healthy.
I have not watched since.  Every time I see a part of it, it makes me cry.  No matter who it is in the scene.  I cry for
Heath, as I always cried for Ennis before.

Beautiful mind

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 01:35:03 am »
Well, I have just watched the movie again today........and this time I was looking for things I may not have noticed before.

As it just ended, I still have something in my mind about the scene with Alma Jnr.....Ennis asks her how old she is now, and she says 19....and I just realized the significance of that. She was the same age Ennis was when he fell in love with Jack up on Brokeback and I think that is why he went into deep thought when Alma Jnr said "Yes Daddy, he loves me"......

And then the "I Swear"....I know the meaning of that has been discussed here, and I have had my own interpretation of it before.....but now the significance of the age thing again comes to mind, and I think he is saying....."I Swear, if I were 19 again, and had my time all over again, I would have done it differently".

The other conversation I noted more carefully, was when OMT was telling Ennis how Jack used to say he was gonna bring Ennis up to the ranch, and how happy Ennis looked, and then OMT had to spoil that happiness by mentioning the Ranch Foreman. But the thing I noticed, was OMT said Jack mentioned the Ranch Foreman "last spring" which would have been after their last time together. Which indicates that Jack finally accepted then, that Ennis would never come up to the ranch with him, and it was time to move on. I think maybe Ennis realized that too, and maybe as he felt upset about learning about the Ranch Foreman, he also would have realized he had no one to blame but himself.

There was other things I noticed too, amazing, still seeing new things, after having watched it "lost count" amount of times.

Oh, the other thing I noticed, that when Ennis is talking to Laureen on the phone, he actually says the year 1963 when he is telling her he did some sheepherding with Jack on Brokeback.......and that seems to be when Laureen's demeanour changed, probably realizing that someplace Jack was 20years ago with this man, was his favourite place, as if the time in between that he had with her,  was no where near as important than that time.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 01:49:20 am »
Well, I have just watched the movie again today........and this time I was looking for things I may not have noticed before.

As it just ended, I still have something in my mind about the scene with Alma Jnr.....Ennis asks her how old she is now, and she says 19....and I just realized the significance of that. She was the same age Ennis was when he fell in love with Jack up on Brokeback and I think that is why he went into deep thought when Alma Jnr said "Yes Daddy, he loves me"......

And then the "I Swear"....I know the meaning of that has been discussed here, and I have had my own interpretation of it before.....but now the significance of the age thing again comes to mind, and I think he is saying....."I Swear, if I were 19 again, and had my time all over again, I would have done it differently".

The other conversation I noted more carefully, was when OMT was telling Ennis how Jack used to say he was gonna bring Ennis up to the ranch, and how happy Ennis looked, and then OMT had to spoil that happiness by mentioning the Ranch Foreman. But the thing I noticed, was OMT said Jack mentioned the Ranch Foreman "last spring" which would have been after their last time together. Which indicates that Jack finally accepted then, that Ennis would never come up to the ranch with him, and it was time to move on. I think maybe Ennis realized that too, and maybe as he felt upset about learning about the Ranch Foreman, he also would have realized he had no one to blame but himself.

There was other things I noticed too, amazing, still seeing new things, after having watched it "lost count" amount of times.

Oh, the other thing I noticed, that when Ennis is talking to Laureen on the phone, he actually says the year 1963 when he is telling her he did some sheepherding with Jack on Brokeback.......and that seems to be when Laureen's demeanour changed, probably realizing that someplace Jack was 20years ago with this man, was his favourite place, as if the time in between that he had with her,  was no where near as important than that time.

Hey Katie,
excellent observations!

Yes, it was no coincidence that Alma jr. was 19 in that last scene. And I thought it was very significant that Ennis then went on to say 'Well you're 19, I guess you can do what you want now huh?'. As if only to stress that when he was 19 he couldn't do what he wanted.
And I'm wondering does Ennis really mean that any 19 year old can do what he/she wants? Really go for it? Now matter what that is? That sweet life?
I think he does. And that's why that sentence to me has such an impact. It means that, like you say, he has been thinking about doing things differently. There both a mixture of regret and a sort of hope for better things in the future. Well, maybe not for Ennis himself but more in a general sense.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 02:28:27 am »
The last time I watched BBM was with Amanda and Lynne in my bedroom in June.  Before that it was with Mr. Meno, Eric, and Lynne, earlier this year at a theater in Seattle.  Before that it was at the  May 2007 BBQ in Estes Park, Colorado with Katherine, Amanda, LauraGigs, Toycoon, Lynne and a couple of other people.  I don't know when I'll watch it again.  From Dec 2005 to, say, Dec 2006, I watched it about 30 times.  From Oct 2005 to Dec 2005, I probably read the short story 30 times.  I haven't read the short story in over a year.  I don't know when I will again. 

The closest I seem to get is occasionally going over to Striped Wall to find a screen cap from the movie to stick in some post here.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 10:13:45 am »
the last time I watched it was L.A. in August.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!