Author Topic: tell you what... if I'm gonna be this obsessed, I oughta have TOYS  (Read 15605 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: tell you what... if I'm gonna be this obsessed, I oughta have TOYS
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 04:00:03 pm »
To be serious for a moment, I go back and forth about whether to even joke about things like this -- the movie is just so incredibly personal to so many people, and I want to tread lightly where such strong feelings are found. And, to be honest, I'm not really a collector (in fact, I think Meryl knows that I have a tendency to either roll my eyes or run away screaming when the Frodo dolls appear)... but I love the idea of collecting stuff, even if I don't do it myself.

And, yeah, those Billy dolls are too built for my tastes, too. (Hung is ok, but I think the human neck is a lovely thing.) I would prefer dolls with the rangy good looks of Heath and Jake, as well. (And they need Heath's dimples. And Jake's eyelashes.)

I saw the Legos thing a while back -- yeah, they're cute. Especially the Lego tent and Lego sheep and the Aguirre with the little mustache. ;D Didn't see the Youtube thing, but I've got this nasty slow internet connection, and it takes half an hour to load a Youtube video so I can watch the thing, so I skip most of the links. (The "lines visualized" thread loads too slowly for me, too, unfortunately... I could use that outlet for my humor.) I remember also seeing somebody selling a "BBM action figure set" on E-bay at one point -- I'm not sure what dolls they used for Jack and Ennis. (Maybe a couple of different Ken dolls? The picture wasn't great.)

I don't think R-rated movies usually get action figures. The toy makers assume that their target market is under 17 -- though I think the Lord of the Rings marketers eventually figured out that adults were buying the toys. But they still think that the market is just obsessive geeks, and that people don't get obsessive about romance/drama.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 09:54:10 pm »
I don't think a well-done piece of art, with figures that actually look like Heath and Jake, would in any way "besmirch" BBM, but to each his own.

I agree, Jeff.  Lord of the Rings fans were blessed with a huge array of figures to choose from, varying from horrible to good.  Here's one that I thought was well done, though.  If the "Dozy Embrace" was of a similar quality, it would be nice to have: 

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=9305&type=&category=lotr3

Meryl, that figurine of Sam is very nice--exactly what I'd like to have of Ennis and Jack. The link shows, too, that it certainly wouldn't come cheap.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 09:27:00 am »
Of course,   you can make do with the Male Barbies!    LOL   Or are they G.I. Joes?

I found these on the Net.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 11:49:43 am »
HAHA, David, those are fun!  Who knew Ennis would be the type to highlight his hair?  I guess Jack brought out that side of him.  ;D

Actually, that last picture isn't far from the mark.  Just add better clothes and hats..... 8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 02:17:54 pm »
I'm sorry there isn't any BBM merchandise as well. Of course - you know me. I'm always ready to vote with my wallet.

What I'd like to see, is some special and distinct BBM piece of jewellry. Also I'd love a large good quality poster featuring the dozy embrace. I'd put that up on my wall right away, no hesitation. The official film poster is lovely, too, but erm.... I think the dozy takes the prize *and* the cherry cake.

However, reading through this thread I realized that nothing would beat this one already proposed, however much it caters to the embarassingly prurient side of me:
a pair of Aguirre's binoculars... that show exactly what he was looking at but we couldn't see.
If the deluxe edition of the binoculars also came enhanced with a significantly extended SNIT scene, I wouldn't ask for much more.  :P I would be utterly speechless, so in fact I *couldn't* ask for anything more!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 02:38:27 pm »
Mikaela, your avatar is the sexiest moment in all moviedom for me, when Ennis pulls away and is churning and heaving for breath.  Sarah Henrypie once said something like she's surprised his shirt isn't suddenly inside out at that moment.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 03:08:45 pm »
I couldn't agree more.

when Ennis pulls away and is churning and heaving for breath
       .....and Jack is hanging on for dear life, almost pulling that shirt off, and focused on reaching Ennis's mouth and staying there.

Yes, all that *is* the reason for my avatar. No point in denying that! Should have won the two of them those acting oscars on the merits of that scene alone!

ETA: For the sake of keeping thiws on topic, what about a small gadget that would beam forth a 3-dimensional projection of Jack and Ennis re-enacting the reunion at the push of a button? *I* would have bought one!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 05:18:27 pm by Mikaela »

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 05:51:34 pm »

What I'd like to see, is some special and distinct BBM piece of jewellry. Also I'd love a large good quality poster featuring the dozy embrace. I'd put that up on my wall right away, no hesitation. The official film poster is lovely, too, but erm.... I think the dozy takes the prize *and* the cherry cake.

Ditto on the poster comment Mikaela. I just wanted to show you the necklaces I made for myself and Meryl and a few others, that you might want. Here's a picture of it:

I could make one for you if you are willing to wait a while till I finish the three that I'm still working on (time, there ain't never enough, you know.)

Let me know!  :)

p.s. the little ring that makes one of the hats hang lower than the other has detail and texture on it that makes it kinda look lasso-ish, which I totally LOVE, since that's one of my favorite parts of the movie and a big symbol of their love.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 05:54:08 pm by newyearsday »
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 05:57:49 pm »
ETA: For the sake of keeping thiws on topic, what about a small gadget that would beam forth a 3-dimensional projection of Jack and Ennis re-enacting the reunion at the push of a button? *I* would have bought one!

Heh. I would not react like Alma did, that's for sure. ;D
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 06:15:24 pm »
**Pounces**

Newyearsday, I'll PM you.  :)